Prospect Info: 2023-24 Kings Prospects in CHL/College/Europe

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I honestly wish more players would go this route. If you aren't getting the ice time then juniors is a great route, getting top ice time to develop your skills in an NHL-lite environment.
Not a big fan of the Players travelling thousands some tens of thousands of KM's when they should be training and developing their young bodies for the rigors of the NHL some day and besides Juniors is step down from the Czech League...remember how the Kings developed VVoynov from Russia...he went to Manchester and became a top 4 D-man and one of the better Youngsters we had on Defense...not Sure Dvorak has that potential he does have Size just hope he isn't another Head case cause we already have one in Lucien"Deblois" and that's a pain in the ass enough!!!

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
This was posted in Hockey Royalty:

"Dvořák, 18, will most likely see top-four minutes as he was used as the 6th or 7th defenseman for Bílí Tygři Liberec of the Czechia league"

link:

I guess if you are not getting the minutes needed to develop you do the next best thing.
Developing?You mean playing?Dvorak can still develop his body,getting stronger and if he's not happy with the ice time he could request a trade

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Developing?You mean playing?Dvorak can still develop his body,getting stronger and if he's not happy with the ice time he could request a trade
You probably know more about the overseas leagues than I do. Is there a lot of players that request trades over there? How does the league handle it. I don’t mind him playing on the WHL at all. I think it’s the closest league of the three junior leagues to the NHL. NHL teams have developed a lot of good, big, physical defenseman from the WHL.

And who knows what kind of input the kings had overseas versus what they could have in swift current

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I honestly wish more players would go this route. If you aren't getting the ice time then juniors is a great route, getting top ice time to develop your skills in an NHL-lite environment.

It's a pretty contentious topic if you discuss with many Europeans around here. Much as the CHL doesn't like juniors going pro early, many countries like their players to earn their way up at home rather than go overseas and particularly for Russians who go the CHL route many folks are actively rooting for their failure.

Not a commentary about what's best for the players of course, just the general vibe when/if you bring it up, heh.

You probably know more about the overseas leagues than I do. Is there a lot of players that request trades over there? How does the league handle it. I don’t mind him playing on the WHL at all. I think it’s the closest league of the three junior leagues to the NHL. NHL teams have developed a lot of good, big, physical defenseman from the WHL.

And who knows what kind of input the kings had overseas versus what they could have in swift current

That's what some of us are worried about :naughty:

Reactions: tigermask48

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Trades don't happen in a lot of European leagues, from what I remember a Euro fan telling me. The KHL has it, but other teams that have a transfer agreement "loan" players.

It's why Martin Chromiak also raised some eyebrows during his draft year. He didn't like the time and deployment, so he went overseas to play in the OHL. I'm pretty sure that contributed to him falling a bit, as teams don't seem to like players who refuse to go with the flow.

As far as input from the Kings, I don't know. I do know it's a bit easier to check in with the players being in NA.

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
fO22akj.jpg

A familiar face doing color commentary on the Swedish WJC broadcast.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Think the Kings already regret selecting Jack Hughes over Lane Hutson? You really can’t even compare the two when you look at their numbers, and Hutson is a younger defenseman, whereas Hughes doesn’t seem to have the skill set to be a productive player at the same level.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Think the Kings already regret selecting Jack Hughes over Lane Hutson? You really can’t even compare the two when you look at their numbers, and Hutson is a younger defenseman, whereas Hughes doesn’t seem to have the skill set to be a productive player at the same level.
I wasn't a fan of the Hughes pick, but was pretty meh on Hutson, too. I didn't see much, granted, but he just lacked dynamism I feel he needs for his size. Looking pretty good now though.

I wanted the Kings to draft Sykora. Luneau or Hamara also piqued my interest.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Finland got slammed 8-5 in the bronze medal game, so no hardware for any Kings prospects.

Nice assist by Simontaival today though:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wasn't a fan of the Hughes pick, but was pretty meh on Hutson, too. I didn't see much, granted, but he just lacked dynamism I feel he needs for his size. Looking pretty good now though.

I wanted the Kings to draft Sykora. Luneau or Hamara also piqued my interest.
One has to wonder if they even bother signing Hughes next year, given his underwhelming numbers after three years in college, and he's on his second NCAA team after transferring from Northeastern to BU.

They will have until the summer of 2025 to make a decision, but as of today, he has left no impression to warrant a contract.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
One has to wonder if they even bother signing Hughes next year, given his underwhelming numbers after three years in college, and he's on his second NCAA team after transferring from Northeastern to BU.

They will have until the summer of 2025 to make a decision, but as of today, he has left no impression to warrant a contract.
I agree. I always try to advise patience with prospects, but the prospect also needs to show growth to warrant it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was definitely pissed about that pick at the time and I figured Hutson was exactly the kind of home run you need to be swinging for there, not another vanilla 5'10" center who doesn't excel at anything. Still have no clue what they see/saw in him other than 'compete.'

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Any word how Jakub Dvorak has looked so far for Swift Current?
Haven't been able to watch much of either of his games. He looked okay, not a standout, as far as one or two shifts. Don't want to judge based on that sample size, especially since he's probably still getting acclimated.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Trades don't happen in a lot of European leagues, from what I remember a Euro fan telling me. The KHL has it, but other teams that have a transfer agreement "loan" players.

It's why Martin Chromiak also raised some eyebrows during his draft year. He didn't like the time and deployment, so he went overseas to play in the OHL. I'm pretty sure that contributed to him falling a bit, as teams don't seem to like players who refuse to go with the flow.

As far as input from the Kings, I don't know. I do know it's a bit easier to check in with the players being in NA.
Correct. Teams don’t have the rights to players in the same way a NA because it’s a restraint of trade (against EU law) so the tie between the parties is the contract that is signed. In football if a club loses an out of contract player (they have developed from a youth) whilst they are still young (I think under 23 yrs but I may be wrong) they can demand a fee as compensation for the development investment but that is often agreed a tribunal. The fees are often well below the players market value because it’s only compensation for the investment. No idea is that applies to any EU hockey leagues.

Whilst contracts in EU can be multi year, they are often very short and one year deals in Europe are fairly common. In the UK one year deals are very typical. The exact rules on transfers do vary league to league, but if the country is a member of the EU then the restraint of trades rules apply. So the specifics only vary a little.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Jämsen is back, two goals in the first period. He is finding his game again after returning from an injury a few games ago.

damn, that's former nucks 5oa olli juolevi too

least we're not the only one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad