Prospect Info: 2023-24 Ducks Prospects

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Western Michigan loses. Colangelo Watch begins.

EDIT: Maybe not yet? Might have to wait a week.

I called half of it, where WMU loses the series 1-2. If WMU still makes to the dance, then I called all of it.

No idea, tbh.

From ESPN:
The winners of the six conference tournaments -- Atlantic, Big Ten, CCHA, ECAC, Hockey East and NCHC -- and 10 at-large teams will make up the 16-team field. The at-large teams are determined by the PairWise rankings.

Currently, Western Michigan Broncos are ranked 13th overall in PairWise rankings despite being the #6 team in the NCHC. The five teams above the Broncos are all currently ranked in the top-16 in the PairWise ranking.

It's still possible that if the Broncos lose the series 1-2, that they may still earn an at-large bid due to PairWise ranking.

2024 NCAA PairWise Rankings (Mar 17).png

Western Michigan ranks at 13th.

Teams under WMU lost except for Cornell, St. Cloud State, Arizona St., and RIT. Arizona St is an independent and has no games to help improve its standings.

There are going to be two teams below WMU that will get automatic bids if they win their conference from Atlantic Hockey (hope RIT wins it all) and CCHA (doesn't matter who wins).

Gotta hope for UMass, Cornell, and St. Cloud State to lose as well as Quinnipiac to win the ECAC for a sliver of a chance so WMU to make it into the Tourney.

This weekend.

Hockey East Tourney ====
#12 Umass beat #17 Providence
#1 Boston College (Cutter) beat #24 UConn
#6 Maine beat #18 New Hampshire
#2 Boston Univ beat #19 Northeastern

NCHC ====
#11 Omaha beat #14 Colorado College, 2-1 series win
#16 St. Cloud State beat #13 Western Michigan, 2-1 series win

Need to hope St. Cloud State loses to Denver.

Atlantic Hockey ====
#21 RIT beat #42 Niagra
#25 American Int'l beat #29 Holy Cross

Need RIT to win the Atlantic Hockey conference. Will get one of the 16 NCAA tourney spots.

CCHA ====
#31 Bemiji St beat #46 Lake Superior
#35 Michigan Tech beat #33 Minnesota St.

Doesn't matter who wins, one will take one of the 16 spots as conference Champ.

Big 10 ====
First round exit on Mar 8-10
#10 Michigan beat #22 Notre Dame
#8 Minnesota beat #23 Penn State

#5 Mich St vs #10 Mich for Big !0 champ. Doesn't matter who wins b/c they're above WMU.

ECAC ====
#15 Cornell beat #50 Harvard
#26 Dartmouth beat #38 Union

Next week, need Dartmouth to beat Cornell.
Then need Quinnipiac to win the ECAC.

Independent ====
#20 Arizona St has no games left to play. Can't move up.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, 12 months ago none of us would have cared. He has had a good senior year, but he isnt exactly that sexy 2nd round prospect anymore. If he walks I will sleep just fine.
I would have cared 12 months ago. There’s been a lot of capitulation from folks but I was optimistic. He had 27 points in 29 games as a sophomore and has a big frame. He reminds me a lot of Charlie Coyle and go look at Coyles production in college compared with Colangelo - very similar

I Was wrong about several others tho

Reactions: Kalv

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021

Interesting piece on Cutter and what he's had to face since the trade.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I would have cared 12 months ago. There’s been a lot of capitulation from folks but I was optimistic. He had 27 points in 29 games as a sophomore and has a big frame. He reminds me a lot of Charlie Coyle and go look at Coyles production in college compared with Colangelo - very similar

I Was wrong about several others tho

I also cared b/c I found out that the coaching staff separated Colangelo from his sophomore linemates, which meant playing lower in the lineup with less talented players. When he said he was going to WMU, I was happy b/c the coaching staff was doing Colangelo wrong. And then when I saw him very determined at Dev camp by his hustle, constant motore, and goal scoring, I was hoping he can take that into the senior year. It all worked out great for Colangelo. Let's hope, it'll work out well for us too b/c we could use a developing 6'2 and 209 lbs power forward, RW who has scoring touch in our system and eventually in the NHL.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Think this kid makes it next year?
Very unlikely.

We don't really have room for him on a scoring line, and his skating ability (or lack thereof) is probably always going to hold him back. He needs experience playing against men that aren't going to give him the time and space to just waltz into the slot and snap off a wrister.

Sidorov is definitely not a line driver or a "gritty goals" type, so his biggest challenge is going to be translating his offensive talents against tougher competition.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Very unlikely.

We don't really have room for him on a scoring line, and his skating ability (or lack thereof) is probably always going to hold him back. He needs experience playing against men that aren't going to give him the time and space to just waltz into the slot and snap off a wrister.

Sidorov is definitely not a line driver or a "gritty goals" type, so his biggest challenge is going to be translating his offensive talents against tougher competition.
Makes sense.. Hope for the best

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Warren finished tonight with a goal.

Warren also was +2, had four shots, and five hits. He was only one of two players on the team with a +2 rating on the night. That's a nice game for Warren.

There's a video on the game site shared below. You can fast forward to his goal, which is goal #5 for the team in white and yellow.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
WHL
- Sidorov had an assist, -1 rating, and 4 shots
- Hvidston had 1g (EN) + 2a, +3 rating, and 16/26 (61.5%) at the FO dot

OHL
Otters faced the Firebirds tonight, both Terrance and Coulson Pitre weren't on the roster. They have missed a game or two recently.

QMJHL
- Warren had 0pts, -1 rating, and 3 hits

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Just throwing this out there, Hvidston, King, and Sundsvik all go back into the draft if they are not signed by Jun 1st.

Have to assume Hvidston gets signed even after a disappointing year this year. He seems like the perfect "role player" forward PV is trying to grow a pipeline of.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Just throwing this out there, Hvidston, King, and Sundsvik all go back into the draft if they are not signed by Jun 1st.

Have to assume Hvidston gets signed even after a disappointing year this year. He seems like the perfect "role player" forward PV is trying to grow a pipeline of.
King? Not sure when his rights expire but he's too old to be redrafted so could only become a UFA.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Sundsvik is also too old
Don't Europeans have a different age for UFA then NA? Its why Freddy went back into the draft where if he was in NA he would have been a UFA. Or am I misremembering and/or making this shit up?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Don't Europeans have a different age for UFA then NA? Its why Freddy went back into the draft where if he was in NA he would have been a UFA. Or am I misremembering and/or making this shit up?
21 year old Europeans can if they haven't played a NA season, but Sundsvik is 22 and turning 23 next month

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad