B-Sens 2023-24 Belleville Senators

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Belleville Sens Game Day Build-Up
Apr.26/24 vs Toronto Marlies (AHL Affiliate: Toronto Maple Leafs)
2024 Calder Cup Finals First Round – Game 2 of 3 (Belleville leads 1-0)

The Set-Up:

If there were any questions about whether or not the Belleville Senators were ready for the Calder Cup Playoffs, they were clearly answered on Wednesday, as the B-Sens opened their North Division First Round series against the Toronto Marlies, with an emphatic 3-1 win. Belleville was able to stymie the potent Toronto attack, holding the Marlies to just 18 shots while getting offensive contributions from a pair of rookies in Zack Ostapchuk and Tyler Kleven, and the club’s eldest player, Josh Currie. Even though the Marlies are the team with a clear advantage when it comes to AHL playoff experience, the Senators showed they can’t be taken lightly, and have put themselves in a position to accomplish another franchise first. A Calder Cup Playoff series victory, over an arch-rival, no less.

Previous History:

Wednesday’s meeting in Belleville was the first in playoff history for both Belleville and Toronto. It was the first time in AHL history that the affiliate of the Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs had met in a Calder Cup Playoff game. Along with taking an edge in this first-round series, Belleville also skated to a 6-3-0-1 record against Toronto this season, with a 3-2-0-0 mark at Coca-Cola Coliseum.

Roster Notes:

There were no names added to Belleville’s injured list after Game 1 on Wednesday, so we’ll wait for pregame to see if there are any changes from the win earlier in the week. Full lineup details, including tonight’s alignment, will be available before puck drop via the B-Sens social media channels (@BellevilleSens).

Who to Watch:

Two Senators had multi-point nights to begin the post-season on Wednesday, with rookie forward Zack Ostapchuk and veteran Josh Currie each picking up a goal and an assist. Angus Crookshank also had five shots on goal, plus hit a post, in his first AHL game since mid-March, a gap of 13 games. Rookie forward Stephen Halliday was credited with four shots on goal Wednesday, as was Cole Reinhardt.

Toronto’s top guns were silent on Wednesday, with sophomore defenceman Marshall Rifai being the only one to find the net. The Quebec-born, former Harvard University player had 19 points in 57 games from the backend this season and added a physical presence with 71 penalty minutes. Fellow blueliner Cameron Gaunce and forward Zach Solow had the assists.

Follow the action:

Tonight’s game starts at 7:00 p.m. (ET) and can be seen on AHL TV, or heard free on the Belleville Sens Entertainment Network,

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Kleven should replace Brannstrom next season, Ostapchuk should replace Kubalik & Sogaard might replace Forsberg.
I recall Kleven saying something along the lines of they're missing his size and grit on the blueline in training camp last season. Seemed like a direct threat to Brannstrom that he's coming for his spot. Gotta love that shade!

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Kleven should replace Brannstrom next season, Ostapchuk should replace Kubalik & Sogaard might replace Forsberg.

They'll definitely have a shot to earn a place in the lineup.
A Korpisalo-Sogaard pairing doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
Think they'll bring in a stop-gap in the form of Brossoit, Stolarz

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I recall Kleven saying something along the lines of they're missing his size and grit on the blueline in training camp last season. Seemed like a direct threat to Brannstrom that he's coming for his spot. Gotta love that shade!
I think he said all of that at his recent call up didn’t he? He may have said it both times, but he definitly talked about the element missing from the team and how he needed to bring that in this call up.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1714170837160.png

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They'll definitely have a shot to earn a place in the lineup.
A Korpisalo-Sogaard pairing doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
Think they'll bring in a stop-gap in the form of Brossoit, Stolarz
My guess is a Chychrun for Ullmark trade, Boston could use another top 4 LD in their lineup & Swayman is likely their #1 moving forward. If Ottawa makes that trade than I could see them trying to move Korpisalo, however, he will be harder to move given he has 4 yrs left & $16 million left on his contract. Foreberg being a UFA next season will be much easier to move. I expect them to move one, but maybe they move both.
I think he said all of that at his recent call up didn’t he? He may have said it both times, but he definitly talked about the element missing from the team and how he needed to bring that in this call up.
Yes, they need more size, toughness & sandpaper at forward & on defence which both Kleven & Ostapchuk bring & will help when we play teams like Florida. Both can hit & both can fight & both with their size & strength will win board battles. If they can also draft Yakemchuk RD he brings the same aspect to the right side on defence & can add some offence.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad