BSens win 2-1

Leevi Merilainen

3rd
Leevi Merilainen (#35)
Belleville Senators
SA: 40 | SV: 39 | TOI: 60:00

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
So, why won't they give Sokolov a shot at making Ottawa next season?

20-21 - Sokolov lead BSens in scoring
21-22 - Sokolov 1 pt behind Luccini for the team lead in pts
22-23 - Sokolov lead BSens in scoring
23-24 - Sokolov leads BSens in scoring

Over the last 4 yrs Sokolov has lead all Belleville scorers - 240 games - 76 goals - 104 assists - 180 pts - 0.75 PPG
Batherson is in 2nd place.

He will get his opportunity in training camp next season to crack the roster. At this point, it is up to him to steal a NHL spot. A big challenge a lot of players trying to make the NHL are faced with is what kind of role they will take on at the NHL level.

A lot of players need to adjust their role and that can be challenging for them. Aside from being a well rounded player, bottom six players usually need to be top tier in defensive play, physicality, or agitating, and likely above average in all of those areas. Sokolov needs to figure out the role he is going to take on and then be the best version of that, and that will give him his chance.

As for commentary on call ups, the only forwards younger than Sokolov that got call ups this season were Ostapchuk and Jarventie. Everyone else was older than him. As he matures his game, he will keep getting looks and then it will just be up to him to do enough to carve out a role once he gets another chance in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: asw and aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Would be great to see Belleville have a nice playoff run, and hopefully have some nice crowds.

If the goalies play as they are capable, they have a chance.

It's too bad JBD can't be down there, or Greig/Pinto. Would be a great experience for them to have playoff hockey.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure Sokolov will be back in the organization next year.

There’s no spot or role in Ottawa for him, and I’m not sure he’ll continues to be a soldier in Belleville with no NHL role available.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Not sure Sokolov will be back in the organization next year.

There’s no spot or role in Ottawa for him, and I’m not sure he’ll continues to be a soldier in Belleville with no NHL role available.
I think he is probably back for at least one more season. He is really well liked in Belleville and I am pretty sure he just won the coaches choice award or something. Every time Bowness, Poulin or Staios talked about Belleville, they stressed the notion that they only wanted to call up players when they felt they were ready for the NHL, otherwise they wanted to do what is best for their development.

I am going to assume that Staios and co had a very different perspective on what Sokolov needed to work on in order to make the NHL. If Dorion and co were still in charge, I think there would be a stronger case for Sokolov wanting to move on, as he followed their advice and trained in Ottawa all summer and still didn't get an extended look in preseason or get a call up this season.

But since the season started the Sens have also added top tier development coach Matt Nichol as well as a wealth of experience in Steve Staios and Dave Poulin. I am pretty confident that those three could give him a real honest assessment of what he needs to work on to have a real shot of cracking the NHL and it be better than the guidance he was given last offseason.

You make a really valid point and Sokolov has a tough decision to make as to whether he wants to give it another go here. I just think there is a compelling argument to be had for him to trust in a much more experienced development staff and management group to guide him into his best offseason.

It will also help him if he has a strong playoffs in Belleville. That could lead the management group to persuade him to at least give it one more season here.

Reactions: asw

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sokolov needs to commit this off season to take a step and get on pace for 30 goals in Belleville.
He should be able to do that with his shot and size.
I still think he can compete for and be useful in a fourth line role. Although if he can’t be relied on to penalty kill(likely) then that could hurt.

Reactions: asw

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Meralainen has put up some great numbers recently - stopping 39 of 40 last night was very impressive. I would be interested in getting the perspectives of some who have seen him more in person this year than I have but to me, he is Ottawa's best prospect in goal over Sogaard. I like Meralainen's athleticism and fundamentals better than those of Sogaard, who I find looks a little awkward at the NHL level...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Meralainen has put up some great numbers recently - stopping 39 of 40 last night was very impressive. I would be interested in getting the perspectives of some who have seen him more in person this year than I have but to me, he is Ottawa's best prospect in goal over Sogaard. I like Meralainen's athleticism and fundamentals better than those of Sogaard, who I find looks a little awkward at the NHL level...

Both goalies have a ton of promise but both have things to work on.

Sogaard needs to work on his lateral positioning and becoming more “quiet” with his body.

Leevi needs to work on consistency and has since Junior. When he is on he is amongst the most solid goalie prospect I’ve seen but when he is off he looks like a failed CHL goalie. He’s getting more consistent but we need to be patient.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Both goalies have a ton of promise but both have things to work on.

Sogaard needs to work on his lateral positioning and becoming more “quiet” with his body.

Leevi needs to work on consistency and has since Junior. When he is on he is amongst the most solid goalie prospect I’ve seen but when he is off he looks like a failed CHL goalie. He’s getting more consistent but we need to be patient.
It would be great if one or both of these guys could be the solution to our goaltending woes, hopefully as soon as next season. #teamleevi

Reactions: Larionov and OD99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It would be great if one or both of these guys could be the solution to our goaltending woes, hopefully as soon as next season. #teamleevi
Neither are ready. If all goes well, one or both may be ready to backup in 2025/26. They are young and their development was delayed by Covid.

Reactions: DrEasy

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I was suprised to see Sogaard doesn’t turn 24 until December. Seems like he’s been around forever. He is still young for a goalie prospect. If i am him i’d stay in NA this offseason and find a group of NHL guys to train with. He needs to get used to the speed of the NHL and big league shots.

He should get 40-45 games next season in the A with Leevi getting the rest. Mandolese is a goner

Reactions: Bileur

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
North Division First Round (best-of-3)

N4-Belleville Senators vs. N5-Toronto Marlies

Game 1 - Wed., Apr. 24 - Toronto at Belleville, 7:00

Game 2 - Fri., Apr. 26 - Belleville at Toronto, 7:00

*Game 3 - Sun., Apr. 28 - Toronto at Belleville, 3:00

*if necessary… All times Eastern

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Does this mean Crookshank is healthy?

They can't send him down if he isn't able to play, can they?

That would be great, for some reason I thought he was done for the season.
Teams are so ridiculously secretive about injuries that no one really knows any details. It's a pet peeve of mine - fans buy tickets and merchandise to pay the bills, yet they won't give us even the most basic info on injuries. Oh, and the whole "targeting" worry is bull@#$# - the game moves way too fast out there for anyone to try to "target" some dude's wrist, shoulder, whatever.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Teams are so ridiculously secretive about injuries that no one really knows any details. It's a pet peeve of mine - fans buy tickets and merchandise to pay the bills, yet they won't give us even the most basic info on injuries. Oh, and the whole "targeting" worry is bull@#$# - the game moves way too fast out there for anyone to try to "target" some dude's wrist, shoulder, whatever.
Eh, I think you're being a little dismissive. Guys slash and crosscheck and spear one another all the time, and if a guy knows you have a weak ankle they may well give it a chop.

Reactions: aragorn and asw

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This is probably simply due to insurance implications. Fans quickly forget that this is a business and players are assets

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This is probably simply due to insurance implications. Fans quickly forget that this is a business and players are assets
I think it is more privacy concerns. I wonder what sort of leeway teams have to give out personal medical details.

Plus, yes, some may worry about other teams taking liberties.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The NFL, which is the 400 pound gorilla of pro sports, doesn't seem to have any of these issues. Fans are given weekly injury reports from the teams, and the teams get fined pretty heavily if they fudge on the injury report. Coaches hate it, I am sure, but the fans sure appreciate the information. Is this all connected to gambling? Big time, but the NHL are now gambling addicts also.

On to the game on the ice - I really want to knock off the Marlies so I can stop hearing about John Gruden. ;-) With Crookshank back it looks like our guys can dress pretty much the strongest lineup possible, minus Heatherington unfortunately. Looking forward to it - I think I will try to stream this one...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad