Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
To me it’s more about roster fit. Newhook isn’t taking anyone’s spot in the Top6 (provided Nuke actually returns). And he’s not a real good fit in the bottom 6. More and more it just seems like he’s not a fit on this team.

For me it's about utilizing their assets properly. Newhook may not have been a great fit so far, but Armia is an unknown there. They could easily end up getting the same production but with a much bigger cap hit.

The only quality assets the Avs have the next couple years to upgrade their roster are their late 1st round picks, one of Girard/Toews, Newhook, and OO. Maybe Behrens, but I bet they keep him, because they've moved out their other D prospects.

They have no 2nd round picks the next three years and only one 3rd in that time.

So they have to hit on the trades they're using these assets on and they have to be used to upgrade the roster. Not potential lateral swaps.

Newy, while he's underperformed to expectations so far, is still a good value since he can't command a big raise yet, and 40 points is a reasonable hope for him. He was on pace for more than that plus 20+ goals until his slump at the end of the year.

As Anders mentioned, there's no reason to trade him just to trade him. He can still add production they need one a cheap contract.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So our top two LD would be toews and Girard . Third pairing ? JmfJ? Or someone else ?
3rd pairing guys are a dime a dozen, doesn't matter

Trading Byram would imply keeping Girard and Toews...but if you get Keller signed for 5 years at a good cap hit you don't care.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm all for dealing Byram but I don't think we should be dealing him for a winger under any circumstances.

If he's dealt it needs to be for a legit 2C solution for the next 2-3 years.

Tbh I think that's the one surefire move that would keep our cup window open with this core. But I think the Avs will sink or swim(Most likely sink) with these sub-optimal 2C solutions they keep coming up with.

Reactions: Ararana

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So our top two LD would be toews and Girard . Third pairing ? JmfJ? Or someone else ?

And that's only IF Toews doesn't want to go back east as a UFA. Imagine they trade Bo and all they have left is Cale, Girard, and Manson.

They'd have gone from the best, deepest, most well rounded D core in the league, to a fairly top heavy one with Cale, and two fairly one dimensional D men.

It makes no sense to trade Byram unless it's for a more established D. They can't afford to screw around with their D core. Improving it was how they became contenders. Hopefully they learned from that.

I'm not even sure it makes sense to trade Bo for a more established defenseman, because Bo has the potential to be among the best defenseman in the league pretty soon.

I have a hard time seeing any realistic trades that make sense to move Byram in.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I'm all for dealing Byram but I don't think we should be dealing him for a winger under any circumstances.

If he's dealt it needs to be for a legit 2C solution for the next 2-3 years.

Tbh I think that's the one surefire move that would keep our cup window open with this core. But I think the Avs will sink or swim(Most likely sink) with these sub-optimal 2C solutions they keep coming up with.
If you could get hypothetically a JT Miller type (I don't think they can) would you make that move for Byram?

I would in a second.

But realistically are there any second line Cs signed for multiple years at a decent rate that Byram could fetch?

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
If you could get hypothetically a JT Miller type (I don't think they can) would you make that move for Byram?

I would in a second.

But realistically are there any second line Cs signed for multiple years at a decent rate that Byram could fetch?
There's a perfect one in Tampa, and Byram could mitigate hedman aging.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Newhook doesn't have arbitration rights, I hope the Avs play hardball with him and force him to take a 1 yr x $1-1.25 mil deal. Avs can't afford to pay him $2 for what he brings. If he's making $2+ mil, he's no longer cheap scoring depth.

Reactions: shadow1

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Listen, I know Keller is great but I'm just not comfortable trading Byram for a winger. There's plenty of good options available to fill the holes up front without needing to front that kind of cost. If we trade Byram we are one injury away from Girard on the top pair, and that's just not Stanley Cup caliber. Byram has an essential role on this team, both now and in the future that is currently irreplaceable.

I think ideally for me, right now we trade for Backlund and try to get Toffoli included in a deal, even if it means sending G (maybe we get big Z back in some way??).

I'll be conservative and say we just land Backlund, re-sign Eller cheap and and sign a few good value wingers. Here's what we could have:

Drouin(1M) - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - Johansen - Rantanen
Newhook (2.5M) - Backlund - Zucker (4M)
Nieto(1M) - Eller (1.5M)- LOC
Cogs,(900K) Oloffson (775k)

Toews - Makar
Byram (4M) - Manson
Girard - Peeke (2.75K)
JJ (900K)

This team sits at 84.8M, obviously over the cap, but the maybe we sign Zucker for cheaper,trade G for a cheaper 3rd pairing D/have a cheaper option than Peeke, or get Calgary to retain on Backlund. The point with this roster is that it's only 1M over the cap, but every position can play a line up if/when injuries hit. That kind of depth and ability is essential to success. That center depth is a complete 180 from last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The Habs have a forward prospect who's an absolute puckhound. If the Avs were to take him and a 2nd, I wouldn't complain.

If Bednar is playing Nieto ahead of Newhook in the top 6 of playoff games, it's kind of get what you can while you can.
You talkin' about my boy Ylonen?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So, I've thought CMac had his work cut out for him this summer, but with getting RyJo, is he seriously going to keep all three Toews-Byram-Girard?

If he was going to use one for a trade it would be this week or at the draft itself, right? Or is there a decent chance it could still happen later in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad