Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
They don’t have to

They have a strong foundation, the top 6 F, top 4 D, and G is very good and young

They only need 2-3 prospects to supplement the group and next year they have money and few openings - one is center at this time

I’d be worried if they didn’t have the best goalie/defense in the league and Todd Elik and Alexi Zhamnov centering the top 2 lines but they don’t

Last year they opened at 94 points and a quick search here a couple of know it alls here GUARANTEED they miss the playoffs and speculated Sweeney fired

Bottom line is they are good as a floor, very good as a ceiling and if Donny Doer does his usual swinging for winning they will be excellent

If Merkulov or Geekie is anything like Zacha I weep for the rest of the teams and the 20% here masking as Bruins fans but miserable pricks

Btw- did you ever watch Derek show I got to be me ???? Greatest show ever with Derek smoking cigarettes and pausing every 5 minutes to tell kids bad habit don’t do

Fantastic stuff
Remember when someone asked him about being a dropout, his classic Turk reply "All the formal education in the world won't help you one bit when your standing on the left point."

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Remember when someone asked him about being a dropout, his classic Turk reply "All the formal education in the world won't help you one bit when you’re standing on the left point."
Fantastic
I wish they had a video of this show

It would be a classic

I can’t even imagine what came out of his mouth

He was a more dynamic and skilled Bergeron who screwed up so bad

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This, right here. It may be horrible but this robbing Peter to pay Paul mentality just makes you mediocre for a longer period of time. Need to bite the bullet and play the hand you're dealt for a couple/few years. Hopefully some of the youngsters emerge and fill some holes. It's that or swapping talent for talent which keeps you on a treadmill and halts any forward progress. Worst case scenario, and I DON'T support going to this extreme, trade your established stars (Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand, Lindholm, Ullmark) for a collection of younger players firmly moving upward and restart.

When have the Bruins ever been mediocre for a long period of time?

Why? It’s worked out pretty well for them the last 15 years.

Or even the last 55 years.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Yea when they had bona-fide #1-2 centers.
Well we’re talking about trading for a #1 center. One of the advantages this organization has is that it’s an attractive place for free agents. If the Bruins can pull a top pair D out of thin air (via free agency) why not add that asset?

If they have the option to keep Lohrei and maintain the status quo at C or sign Hanifin and trade Lohrei for a #1C, I hope they choose the former.

Reactions: Kegs

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
And great goaltending.

And hall of fame defensemen.

One player doesn't carry the whole load. How good has Edmonton been over the last 8 seasons with the best player in the world as their #1C?

Two of their 3 great goalies were UFA's. Their HOF defenseman was a UFA. Folks talk a lot about how the Bruins draft but the Bruins have also used free agency to build and supplement their roster, starting with Thomas, Savard and Chara.

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
When have the Bruins ever been mediocre for a long period of time?

Or even the last 55 years.
To make it clear, I'm not one of the people hating on the team or management. They've delivered a superior product more often than not. Were there a couple of cup opportunities along the way that were missed? Absolutely, but that is the nature of playoff hockey.

Don't get the wrong impression here, I still think they are going to be a competitive team with the goalie/defense strength that they have. I'm just reacting to people who have already written off the coming season which I would never do.

They went all in at the deadline and I applaud them for that. It didn't work out but it's not worth pointing fingers. Regroup and move forward with what you have. Honestly, I don't hate what they are moving forward with next season and my key point was that we need to display some patience with the younger players and hope that some take the necessary steps forward to help to improve the team overall.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Two of their 3 great goalies were UFA's. Their HOF defenseman was a UFA. Folks talk a lot about how the Bruins draft but the Bruins have also used free agency to build and supplement their roster, starting with Thomas, Savard and Chara.

True.

Signing UFA is part of the success, for sure. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: PlayMakers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Its kind of funny that it wasn’t the top 10 pick guys (McLaren, Thornton, Samsonov, Kessel, Hamil, Jonsson, Aitken) that got Boston out of the post-Bourque/Neely era malaise, but it was all the 2nd and 3rd rounders and free agent signings.

The Bruins have been able to delay needing to bottom out by finding Pasta and McAvoy without having to bottom out to get them.

Eventually the luck will run out and they will bottom out, but we ain’t here today and won’t be for a while.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Don't think I'd go that far. Bergron's skill level is somewhat underappreciated.

Turk more like a Bergeron/Marchand amalgom. Which is pretty darn good.
I can go there

Derek was mesmerizing though - those early days

Sanderson & Westfall for 3-5 years I think the greatest defensive forward pair since 66-67

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yea when they had bona-fide #1-2 centers.

I get it and you're right. The prospect pool is an inch deep. Sweeney paid for multiple poor free agent signings, and to keep the Bruins afloat.

En general, however, I look at high draft selections v. proven NHL players this way:

You may have a promising prospect who might, some day, pan out as your IC or whatever.

You look around the league and see a guy like Lindholm, or the Petterson fellow. These guys are already what you hope you might have in your prospect.

If that's the case, I don't mind parting with high draft selections because I'd rather a sure thing than what frequently turns out to be a crap shoot.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I can go there

Derek was mesmerizing though - those early days

Sanderson & Westfall for 3-5 years I think the greatest defensive forward pair since 66-67
I'm sure you saw more of Sanderson than I did so I'll take your word for it. He did look very good on the radio as I recall.

Loved the Sanderson/Westfall combo. Westfall, style-wise more like Bergeron. Great defensive player, had that great hip check when they let him play on the backline.

Best Bruins defensive forward pair since 66-67? That's fair.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
SAID AGAIN: I DO NOT WANT THIS CHARACTER ON MY TEAM. I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS NUMBERS.

One thing to note, and he’s not the first to do so, is McIntyre suggesting Scheifele isn’t the most coachable player.

‘Patience (with Scheifele) has worn thin with three different coaches now, from Paul Maurice to Dave Lowry to Rick Bowness. Scheifele, who has long believed he was underpaid on his current contract, will be looking to cash in on the next deal. There’s a strong chance it will be somewhere other than Winnipeg.’

Scheifele is headed into the final season of an eight-year, $49 million contract that carries a $6.125 million salary cap hit. He is coming off a 42-goal season with 68 points in 81 games. If the 6-foot-3, 207-pound is looking to test the 2024 UFA market, is it worth the Bruins trading valuable assets on their current roster? Also, for a team that prides itself on culture and team first, would Scheifele be a good fit?

Scheifele Did a Second-Half Disappearing Act​

As soon as the Jets hit turbulence, though, Scheifele reverted back to the problematic and lackadaisical 2021-22 version of himself. During the three-month slump that saw the team tumble down the standings, his drive, effort, and enthusiasm levels once again tanked.

In March, he went through a nine-game goalless streak and seemed to be lashing out against Bowness for making an example of him, showing that when push came to shove, he didn’t really want accountability after all. He refused to speak to the media after Bowness benched the line of him, Kyle Connor, and Nino Niederreiter after they were on the ice for three-straight goals by the Carolina Hurricanes on March 14.

Bowness, at his wits end by late March as his team was in danger of being the first in NHL history to lead a conference more than halfway through the season but miss the playoffs, moved Scheifele to right wing for the first time in his 12-year career. Scheifele did well with less defensive responsibility, scoring four goals in his final seven games, finishing with 68 points, and helping the Jets snag the second Wild-Card spot.

Scheifele Knocked Out of Playoffs — Again​

He did not return for Game 5, making it the third-straight playoffs he’s been knocked out of by either injury of suspension.

Pick up @ 2:00,

Last edited:

SkullKing

Dec 20, 2020
SAID AGAIN: I DO NOT WANT THIS CHARACTER ON MY TEAM. I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS NUMBERS.

One thing to note, and he’s not the first to do so, is McIntyre suggesting Scheifele isn’t the most coachable player.

‘Patience (with Scheifele) has worn thin with three different coaches now, from Paul Maurice to Dave Lowry to Rick Bowness. Scheifele, who has long believed he was underpaid on his current contract, will be looking to cash in on the next deal. There’s a strong chance it will be somewhere other than Winnipeg.’

Scheifele is headed into the final season of an eight-year, $49 million contract that carries a $6.125 million salary cap hit. He is coming off a 42-goal season with 68 points in 81 games. If the 6-foot-3, 207-pound is looking to test the 2024 UFA market, is it worth the Bruins trading valuable assets on their current roster? Also, for a team that prides itself on culture and team first, would Scheifele be a good fit?

As soon as the Jets hit turbulence, though, Scheifele reverted back to the problematic and lackadaisical 2021-22 version of himself. During the three-month slump that saw the team tumble down the standings, his drive, effort, and enthusiasm levels once again tanked.

In March, he went through a nine-game goalless streak and seemed to be lashing out against Bowness for making an example of him, showing that when push came to shove, he didn’t really want accountability after all. He refused to speak to the media after Bowness benched the line of him, Kyle Connor, and Nino Niederreiter after they were on the ice for three-straight goals by the Carolina Hurricanes on March 14.

Bowness, at his wits end by late March as his team was in danger of being the first in NHL history to lead a conference more than halfway through the season but miss the playoffs, moved Scheifele to right wing for the first time in his 12-year career. Scheifele did well with less defensive responsibility, scoring four goals in his final seven games, finishing with 68 points, and helping the Jets snag the second Wild-Card spot.

He did not return for Game 5, making it the third-straight playoffs he’s been knocked out of by either injury of suspension.

Scheifele is not the route the Bruins should go. Would much rather Lindholm. I doubt Stamkos makes it to FA.

Reactions: GordonHowe

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023

Nothing about Scheifele screams "this guy is a bruins" to me. Would be shocked if we made a move for him. Also that article isn't really a report, more just speculation based on the Jets probably needing to eventually trade Scheifele and the Bruins needing a top 6 center.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
To me? If Petterson doesn't want to stay in Vancouver... Heaven, Earth and all of Hell to get him in Boston. Well, anything short of McAvoy :laugh:
The issue is he is rfa. So he has no say really ? Might have to wait two years.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
To me? If Petterson doesn't want to stay in Vancouver... Heaven, Earth and all of Hell to get him in Boston. Well, anything short of McAvoy :laugh:
I’d consider mcavoy. Pettersson is elite. So is mcavoy. But honestly pettersson is a legit two way super star centre who is not even 25. Boston seems pretty stacked on defence. The system has some guys who might be able to step in too.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The issue is he is rfa. So he has no say really ? Might have to wait two years.
Players are using their leverage in this spot now. Tkachuk was an RFA and bullied his way out. DuBois the same. If Pettersen goes to Vancouver and tells them he’s not resigning, and here are the teams he would resign with, he can leverage his power right into a destination of his choosing. Vancouver could choose to lose him for nothing but only teams like the Canucks would ever do that. Oh wait…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad