Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

This is a thread to discuss the roster and salary cap. Posters are encouraged to speculate and make proposals.

This is not a thread to evaluate the overall success of the Sweeney Regime, rehash the 2022-2023 Season, the 2019 Final, the 2015 Draft and so on.

If you want to have those discussions, use an appropriate thread. Otherwise it will be considered thread hijacking.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Bruins have approx $28m in cap next year. Big offseason for them. Need to lock up Debrusk, Swayman, find a #1 center and need to start looking for a marchand replacement.

Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From tomorrow’s Globe:

Keep in mind: Teams and players enter PTOs with the understanding that the auditions aren’t necessarily team-specific. The players will be scouted by other clubs and can be offered deals elsewhere, with the agreement typically allowing the host club right of first refusal.

“Yes, that’s sometimes forgotten,” said Alex Chiasson, the former BU winger who recently agreed to come to Bruins camp on a PTO. “For me, I’ve always come on the PTO, wherever I went, my goal was to make that team. I chose to go there to make that team. But at the end of the day, you are showcasing yourself to the whole league. There can be injuries, or teams that don’t like their lineup late in training camp. So it’s an opportunity for a player to say, ‘Hey, maybe there’s a fit there or a fit with another team.’

“But for me, going in, my main goal is to crack the Bruins’ lineup. I am not really looking to go somewhere else.”

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
28.5M minus JDB and Swayman's new contracts won't leave much to sign the other 10 player's it will take to fill the roster.

Hopefully a number of our prospects can graduate on ELC's.

I'm expecting JDB and Swayman to come in around 12.5M combined . That would leave 16M to sign 10 players.

If Bussi can continue to play like he did last year and maybe get a few games in at the NHL level to show he can handle it at the NHL that would allow the Bruins to move Ullmark adding about 4M when you factor in Bussi's salary. That would be key in freeing up money for a 1C and maybe more.

Grizz will also need a new contract , will be interesting to see which way the Bruins want to go with him. Will likely depend on how Lorhie shows this season.

Much needs to play out to determine how things play out next season. Prospects making it to the big club will be key.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins have approx $28m in cap next year. Big offseason for them. Need to lock up Debrusk, Swayman, find a #1 center and need to start looking for a marchand replacement.
Petterson...........be patient and he will be yours , I love pissing off Canucks fans........

• Wow
Reactions: Bodit9 and bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Now?

Shouldn't they have been looking to replace him in 2019 when he was 30?

Draft wise yes, but considering they haven’t now, they’ll have to over spend on a FA.

I don’t know why you are of the belief they should wait for guys to retire to begin looking for replacements.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
They could add some money to that total via trades. Swayman and Ullmark will cost over $10m+ combined. Some money to be saved there. And if they get a 1c, they'll also need to make room for Coyle to come back to the 3rd line (or move Coyle).
Add a 1st/2nd line winger to the list to play with Zacha and Pasta.
Hopefully Lysell and Merkulov will be ready to add some youth and talent to the middle6. Maybe JDB plays with Zacha and Pasta and Lysell plays with Marchand, and Merkulov goes to the 3rd line.
you won't get all that with only $28m to spend.
I would think some additional moves would have to be made. Where does Coyle go if they bring in a 1C? If it's back to the 3rd line, what happens to the guys who are on the 3rd line this year? What about some of the kids that are close? Who do they make expendable?

Last edited:

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
Would anyone be surprised if they let Grizz walk and sign Hanifin. Personally I don’t think any of the 1C make it to free agency, and won’t be surprised if they load up on D and scoring dept

Reactions: wintersej

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Would anyone be surprised if they let Grizz walk and sign Hanifin. Personally I don’t think any of the 1C make it to free agency, and won’t be surprised if they load up on D and scoring depth
No, I'd even say that's the plan. Hanifin has to make it to July 1st but if he gets there I'd be shocked if there wasn't mutual interest.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Would anyone be surprised if they let Grizz walk and sign Hanifin. Personally I don’t think any of the 1C make it to free agency, and won’t be surprised if they load up on D and scoring dept
I don't doubt there'd be mutual interest, but Hanifan is gonna command A LOT of money if he hits the open market, and personally I don't see LHD as a priority for that kind of spending rn. Already have Lindholm locked up long term, with Lohrei hopefully on the way soon. Ideally that sets the top 4 in stone for the foreseeable future with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side. Obviously that's dependent on Lohrei developing into a viable top 4 guy though.

I still can’t believe we will never see bergy again
I was 5 when Bergy made his debut, literally don't have any memory of the bruins without him. Gonna be really weird not seeing him out there.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't doubt there'd be mutual interest, but Hanifan is gonna command A LOT of money if he hits the open market, and personally I don't see LHD as a priority for that kind of spending rn. Already have Lindholm locked up long term, with Lohrei hopefully on the way soon. Ideally that sets the top 4 in stone for the foreseeable future with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side. Obviously that's dependent on Lohrei developing into a viable top 4 guy though.
They could use Lohrei as a trade chip for a C. They don't have a lot of high value assets and if they think they can add a first pair defenseman in his prime via free agency it might make sense.

You're right about the money though. Hanifin will get the Lindholm contract at least. They'd have to move out a lot of money, along with Lohrei, to be able to afford both Hanifin and a new #1c.

Reactions: dugg133

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
They could use Lohrei as a trade chip for a C. They don't have a lot of high value assets and if they think they can add a first pair defenseman in his prime via free agency it might make sense.

You're right about the money though. Hanifin will get the Lindholm contract at least. They'd have to move out a lot of money, along with Lohrei, to be able to afford both Hanifin and a new #1c.
At some point, the Bruins need to stop converting future value into present value.

IveGotToBeMe

Jul 1, 2012
RI
At some point, the Bruins need to stop converting future value into present value.
This, right here. It may be horrible but this robbing Peter to pay Paul mentality just makes you mediocre for a longer period of time. Need to bite the bullet and play the hand you're dealt for a couple/few years. Hopefully some of the youngsters emerge and fill some holes. It's that or swapping talent for talent which keeps you on a treadmill and halts any forward progress. Worst case scenario, and I DON'T support going to this extreme, trade your established stars (Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand, Lindholm, Ullmark) for a collection of younger players firmly moving upward and restart.

Reactions: lopey and Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This, right here. It may be horrible but this robbing Peter to pay Paul mentality just makes you mediocre for a longer period of time. Need to bite the bullet and play the hand you're dealt for a couple/few years. Hopefully some of the youngsters emerge and fill some holes. It's that or swapping talent for talent which keeps you on a treadmill and halts any forward progress. Worst case scenario, and I DON'T support going to this extreme, trade your established stars (Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand, Lindholm, Ullmark) for a collection of younger players firmly moving upward and restart.
They don’t have to

They have a strong foundation, the top 6 F, top 4 D, and G is very good and young

They only need 2-3 prospects to supplement the group and next year they have money and few openings - one is center at this time

I’d be worried if they didn’t have the best goalie/defense in the league and Todd Elik and Alexi Zhamnov centering the top 2 lines but they don’t

Last year they opened at 94 points and a quick search here a couple of know it alls here GUARANTEED they miss the playoffs and speculated Sweeney fired

Bottom line is they are good as a floor, very good as a ceiling and if Donny Doer does his usual swinging for winning they will be excellent

If Merkulov or Geekie is anything like Zacha I weep for the rest of the teams and the 20% here masking as Bruins fans but miserable pricks

Btw- did you ever watch Derek show I got to be me ???? Greatest show ever with Derek smoking cigarettes and pausing every 5 minutes to tell kids bad habit don’t do

Fantastic stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad