Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I was thinking about the best way to extend the lineup with what we have in house.

I am starting to like the idea of reuniting Pasta and Marchand for an unquestioned first line. Honestly throughout the offseason I've been lokking to push JVR down the lineup. Now I am thinking he might be a really good compliment to DeBrusk and Coyle. I don't think that I would play JVR with Poitras out of the gate if he makes it. Anyhow, I love that JVR would be a constant net front presence as DeBrusk seems to be making plays all over the offensive zone and constantly driving plays to the net. Coyle and DeBrusk being strong 3 zone players compensates for JVR being the last man back most shifts. As long as he is hustling, I think his deficiencies can be accounted for or offset.

This allows the Bruins to build a 3rd line more towards their intended identity;
play with much more speed, which I believe they want to do;
Boquist - Geekie - Frederic or
Richards -Geekie - Frederic

and maybe Heinen, gives them more of a defensively smothering opportunity;
Heinen - Geekie - Frederic

or possibly bringing some muscle;
Lucic - Geekie - Frederic

Anyhow, I will be watching JVR close when he gets his chance and I would like to see him with DeBrusk if possible. It would be perfect if he did fit on that 2nd line. I do think DeBrusk is ready to drive the line and Coyle's defense and strength at the dot and on the boards could be hard to play against.

I appreciate your perspective, but I don't want a top heavy line up. The Bruins have come to grief several times in the playoffs, or finals, when the other club simply shuts down the number one line.

It's tempting, because you want to pile up points, but I believe the wisest course -- at least to begin the season, up to, say, U.S. Thanksgiving or Christmas -- is to pair Marchand with Coyle, Pasta with Zacha.

Reactions: HustleB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They need to find a way to get a physical D cause, maybe it s hard to beleive but this D corp he s softer than last 5 years, and management s message is they need to be more phisical, need kind of Zadorov, Middleton, Macdermid...Grez, Forbort even Lindholm as trade chips
Let’s work hard to get bad defensemen on the team is certainly a strategy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Their varsity roster all but a fait accompli, the Bruins on Sunday released former Boston University forward Alex Chiasson from his professional tryout contract, and coach Jim Montgomery said his lineup for Thursday night’s preseason game against the Rangers likely will be the roster that opens regular-season play next week.

Chiasson, 33, failed to catch the coaching staff’s eye in his pair of preseason performances, including Friday night’s shootout loss to the Flyers, and now must look elsewhere in hopes of extending a career in which he four times has landed an NHL contract via the tryout process.

“I don’t know if he came up short,” said Montgomery, when asked about cutting Chiasson free some 10 days into camp. “It’s more that a lot of guys are having really good camps, you know, and it’s coming down to numbers. We felt that this gave him the best opportunity maybe to catch on somewhere else.”

Meanwhile, ahead of Monday night’s rematch in Philadelphia vs. the Flyers, it’s likely that the first group of 22 that skated Sunday in Brighton likely included the 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders who ultimately will be in uniform next Wednesday when the Blackhawks will be in Boston for the season opener.

Forwards:

James van Riemsdyk-Pavel Zacha-David Pastrnak

Brad Marchand–Charlie Coyle-Jake DeBrusk

A.J. Greer-Morgan Geekie-Trent Frederic

Milan Lucic-Jesper Boqvist-Patrick Brown

Defensemen:

Matt Grzelcyk-Charlie McAvoy

Hampus Lindholm-Brandon Carlo

Derek Forbort-Kevin Shattenkirk

Jakub Zboril-Ian Mitchell

Goalies:

Linus Ullmark

Jeremy Swayman

There will be some final auditions over the next two games — Flyers followed by the Capitals at TD Garden Tuesday evening — and then a day off Wednesday before that final tuneup Thursday on Broadway.

“Essentially, that will be our team,” said Montgomery, referring to the squad that dresses at Madison Square Garden. “Not exactly, because maybe we’ll have some guys play in the back-to-back games. But we’re also looking at power-play units, maybe have one power-play unit get in each game … then have two power-play units in the same game at Madison Square Garden.”

Impressive junior prospect Matt Poitras and PTO returnee Danton Heinen, both of whom practiced in the ‘B’ squad on Sunday, could be the lone challengers for varsity spots.

Per the NHL’s agreement with the Canadian junior leagues, Poitras could play up to 10 NHL games and still return to his OHL Guelph squad. He has an NHL-ready contract (cap hit: $870,000), but general manager Don Sweeney would have to move out some payroll in order to fit him under the max payroll of $83.5 million.

By Montgomery’s eye, Poitras fits best as a center, which, though impressive, could narrow his chances of sticking for the start of the season. Patrice Bergeron, among the top center’s in the game’s history, started his career here on the wing, allowing him time to acclimate to bigger, stronger players and faster pace of play.

“Centers are what we need,” noted Montgomery. “So, we’re looking at that right now, but more importantly, for the future.”

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
for me that is a bottom 5 third line in hockey. Great wingers but maybe the worst centers in the league. If not darn close. So glad we have the best 3 goalies in the world and a solid D.

This a 100% what I want to start with.
This is why so many young players struggle to make any kind of impact in a Bruin uniform , Poitras looks like a player to me but just might not be ready physically , Lysell does not show enough yet ,Lohrei , I think will be someone that is not to far off , but there is no way Beecher should not be on this team , he has shown enough to get a shot , send him back to Providence and I am not saying it will happen but there is a chance doubt starts to creep in . Sorry Brown ,Greer should not be playing ahead of Beecher untill he gets a fair shot........................

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
We really trying to send poitras to the ohl? He is a wizard with the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad