Boston Bruins 2023-2024 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
What would be the process of him being called up to the AHL? Was thinking along the lines of a Providence or Bruins D being moved.
It’s incredibly unlikely they call him up and burn a year to play him in the A, especially with how many defensemen Provy already has. It looks like Edward was just unrelated business that needed to get done before next year going into D+3

Reactions: Absurdity

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Who would sit for Lohrei?

I mean… I know who I want to sit. But I’m doubting the coaching staff sees it the same way. And I hope he’s not up simply to sit most nights. And why risk losing Mitchell to waivers just to have a rookie on the ninth floor?

There’s a piece of information we’re missing or it just doesn’t make sense.
I think it’s about cap space. If Forbort and Lauko are out (short term), and you want to dress Heinen and Lohrei, you need to clear some cap. Sending Brown down alone isn’t enough. So Mitchell goes down and Forbort and Lauko would be the ones ‘sitting.’

(Fwiw, I am not a cap expert so maybe there is some emergency replacement or short term injury replacement that wouldn’t affect the cap that I don’t know about.)

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And why risk losing Mitchell to waivers just to have a rookie on the ninth floor?

There’s a piece of information we’re missing or it just doesn’t make sense.
I’ll be surprised if he gets picked up based on his two games for us. Clearly the club isn’t worried either, or they don’t care. But you are right, something is missing- an injury or maybe it’s simply about spelling Shattenkirk from time to time.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess Zbroil will be the one being moved up if they need a defenseman. But curious if they add a winger especially with two injured players on the wing
If they want Mitchell in Providence to work on his game, and just need a better spare part, then yeah probably Zboril. If someone is going to be out and they need player then I would guess Lohrei.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think it’s about cap space. If Forbort and Lauko are out (short term), and you want to dress Heinen and Lohrei, you need to clear some cap. Sending Brown down alone isn’t enough. So Mitchell goes down and Forbort and Lauko would be the ones ‘sitting.’

(Fwiw, I am not a cap expert so maybe there is some emergency replacement or short term injury replacement that wouldn’t affect the cap that I don’t know about.)
A Forbort injury (say) would be the missing piece of info. Unless I missed it, of course

Reactions: PlayMakers

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Back home from their 4-0-0 road trip, capped by Tuesday night’s 3-0 whitewashing of the Blackhawks, the Bruins rested on Wednesday. Their only bit of news was to place Ian Mitchell on waivers, likely the precursor to the spare blueliner being assigned to AHL Providence, possibly on Thursday.

If Mitchell were to be claimed by any of the NHL’s other 31 clubs, that could create roster space for general manager Don Sweeney finally to sign forward Danton Heinen, who remains in camp on a professional tryout agreement that has stretched longer than the average CVS receipt.

There is also the issue — one much more significant and interesting — of superb rookie center Matthew Poitras, who potted his third goal in two games in the win at Chicago.

It appears a fait accompli that Poitras will have his entry-level contract (cap hit: $870,000) officially added to the 2023-24 books upon playing his 10th NHL game (likely next Thursday in Boston vs. the Maple Leafs).

“He’s making a hard decision pretty easy,” team president Cam Neely said to a Globe reporter prior to the club departing the United Center Tuesday night. “Going into camp, we asked for surprises, right? So good on him.”

Setting aside the discussion of all the roster and cap calculations, the soft-spoken, sleight-of frame Poitras these last three-plus weeks has stolen the spotlight as the most compelling and refreshing story in camp.

……
Poitras has shown flashes of Pederson-like savvy and vision and confidence.

“His hockey sense is something that has really stood out,” said Neely, who, coincidentally, came to the Bruins in the celebrated swap in which Pederson was dealt to Vancouver. “He’s a smart player … gets to the right places … not afraid to get to the hard areas on the ice … doesn’t turn pucks over and competes.”

The 54th pick in the 2022 draft, Poitras as of Wednesday morning was one of only 11 players from that draft to have played in an NHL regular-season game. His three goals ranked him second to Juraj Slafkovsky (four) in that draft class. Slafkovsky, remember, went No. 1 overall to the Canadiens.

“He’s making it hard on us, isn’t he?” said coach Jim Montgomery, asked if Poitras is here to stay. “He’s doing a terrific job, and he did it [on his goal] from the goal line … how hard he came back. He’s doing it at both ends of the ice.”

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Buccigross is dead to me. Can't believe he got me excited about a potential Lohrei call up only to see news of Brown being recalled and Mitchell skating before practice.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I know he played because he watched Coyle's pass go right across his toes to Connor Bedard for the goal that got called back.
That was pretty wild. That was 100% on Charlie, and while Bedard had a nice shot it was quite literally the most perfect and surprisingly set up one timer you're probably going to see. More than a few NHL players -- on the ice at the time - would have probably buried it.

However, what was even more surprising was that as the puck went by Forbert, he didn't flinch. Not a muscle twitch.

Now I like Forbert more than most here - I think he's a whipping boy more than he sometimes deserves (not like the days when I'd argue ad nauseum with people on here who wanted to rag on Ference or K Miller - but still). But on that play he was like our lovely old hound dog who would sit in the sun and stare off into the distance. I used to ask my son "What do you think is going through his brain right now?"..... "Nothing Dad. Absolutely nothing".:laugh:

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
That was pretty wild. That was 100% on Charlie, and while Bedard had a nice shot it was quite literally the most perfect and surprisingly set up one timer you're probably going to see. More than a few NHL players -- on the ice at the time - would have probably buried it.

However, what was even more surprising was that as the puck went by Forbert, he didn't flinch. Not a muscle twitch.

Now I like Forbert more than most here - I think he's a whipping boy more than he sometimes deserves (not like the days when I'd argue ad nauseum with people on here who wanted to rag on Ference or K Miller - but still). But on that play he was like our lovely old hound dog who would sit in the sun and stare off into the distance. I used to ask my son "What do you think is going through his brain right now?"..... "Nothing Dad. Absolutely nothing".:laugh:
1698336415118.png

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
lol I think Forbort had basically zero chance on that pass, but it was still hilarious watching him have zero reaction to it. He's also putting the 2 hawks players between himself & Coyle so he's not exactly doing a good job making himself an option.

Anyway none of that actually happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad