OT: 2023-2024 NCAA Hockey Thread

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How about this Gabe Perrault kid just torching the NCAA as a freshman??? Wowza it would have been nice to have him in the stable eh???
Or Ritchie, who is a Big C, doing the same in the OHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
We've yet to see any of them turn out to be NHL players at all but Brackett's sure been adept at using mid/late round picks to find all these guys that you're like "oh, this guys kinda neat" lol.

Bankier, Masters, Petrovsky, Healy, Milne, Spacek, and Novak all kinda neat/interesting dudes
Agreed, he's done well there, and hopefully some of these guys pan out.

We're going to miss on most of these guys, but the good thing about Judd taking so many cracks at it is that it increases the odds of us getting some of the guys that pan out. Look at the 2004 draft, the Wild missed on both picks in the first two rounds, but landed 3 real NHLers anyway because they had 12 picks in that draft. They weren't the highest quality NHLers, but it was still 3 players in the mid to late rounds in one draft! Six, if you want to just count guys who played NHL games.

I really like the method the Wild have used in regards to the draft in Guerin's time (he's not ALL bad), a hybrid where they don't just accumulate as many picks as possible, but instead use some of the later picks (and creative trades at the TDL) to accumulate as many picks in the first two rounds as possible. Five 1st round picks and five 2nd round picks in the last three years really increases the odds of getting a really great player out of them (Yurov?), never mind extra NHLers, which they'll also probably get a couple of.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed, he's done well there, and hopefully some of these guys pan out.

We're going to miss on most of these guys, but the good thing about Judd taking so many cracks at it is that it increases the odds of us getting some of the guys that pan out. Look at the 2004 draft, the Wild missed on both picks in the first two rounds, but landed 3 real NHLers anyway because they had 12 picks in that draft. They weren't the highest quality NHLers, but it was still 3 players in the mid to late rounds in one draft! Six, if you want to just count guys who played NHL games.

I really like the method the Wild have used in regards to the draft in Guerin's time (he's not ALL bad), a hybrid where they don't just accumulate as many picks as possible, but instead use some of the later picks (and creative trades at the TDL) to accumulate as many picks in the first two rounds as possible. Five 1st round picks and five 2nd round picks in the last three years really increases the odds of getting a really great player out of them (Yurov?), never mind extra NHLers, which they'll also probably get a couple of.
I agree, he isn't, but for some reason that makes his bad decisions all the more infuriating. Stramel was one of those bad decisions from the moment it was made, and it reeks of Guerin overriding Brackett's preferred choice, though i guess we'll never know. I was fine with him picking a Big C at that point, but there were quite a few of them still available at that point, most of who are doing much better than Stramel.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I agree, he isn't, but for some reason that makes his bad decisions all the more infuriating. Stramel was one of those bad decisions from the moment it was made, and it reeks of Guerin overriding Brackett's preferred choice, though i guess we'll never know. I was fine with him picking a Big C at that point, but there were quite a few of them still available at that point, most of who are doing much better than Stramel.
I have to agree. I like the pick accumulation method, but if he makes poor decisions with those picks the method won't matter.

*edit* Also, isn't that what caused Brackett to leave Vancouver? Probably shouldn't do the same thing the Canucks did.

Last edited:

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Brackett's been great IMO. Ohgren/Haight are the only 2 I can say I've disliked at the time of selection(not counting Stramel as by all accounts he was overruled, though I still preferred Ritchie to Perrault). Trading up for Wallstedt/Hunt/Novak and staying true to his board taking Peart after Lambos in the same draft are the kind of things I like to see. Yurov/Rossi/Wallstedt/Peart/Lorenz/Heidt/Spacek/Petrovsky were all the top player on my board when selected. Everyone will have whiffs, you just want them for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Lambos had elite traits in a draft year that he was getting punished for playing at not 100% when others weren't even playing due to COVID, O'Rourke was well advanced for his age, etc.

Reactions: Minnesota

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brackett's been great IMO. Ohgren/Haight are the only 2 I can say I've disliked at the time of selection(not counting Stramel as by all accounts he was overruled, though I still preferred Ritchie to Perrault). Trading up for Wallstedt/Hunt/Novak and staying true to his board taking Peart after Lambos in the same draft are the kind of things I like to see. Yurov/Rossi/Wallstedt/Peart/Lorenz/Heidt/Spacek/Petrovsky were all the top player on my board when selected. Everyone will have whiffs, you just want them for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. Lambos had elite traits in a draft year that he was getting punished for playing at not 100% when others weren't even playing due to COVID, O'Rourke was well advanced for his age, etc.

I'm the opposite.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wisconsin took 9 of a possible 12 points from Minnesota. 3 of a possible 6 this weekend without Cruz Lucius too. Love to see that.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Guerin's memory of success comes from his time on the Devils. Stramel is the Wild's "Bobby Holik" in that model, though we might be lucky if we get a Jay Pandolfo.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Guerin's memory of success comes from his time on the Devils. Stramel is the Wild's "Bobby Holik" in that model, though we might be lucky if we get a Jay Pandolfo.
I'd love a Jay Pandolfo. He nearly won a Selke while only having 27 points. If we get a guy who is good enough defensively to play near-Selke level defense while barely scoring at a 3rd line level, I'll be happy with that pick.

Reactions: 57special

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd love a Jay Pandolfo. He nearly won a Selke while only having 27 points. If we get a guy who is good enough defensively to play near-Selke level defense while barely scoring at a 3rd line level, I'll be happy with that pick.
I'd love that out of a 3rd round pick.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'd love that out of a 3rd round pick.
Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred we erred on high upside, low floor instead, but now that the pick has been made, I would be happy with Jay Pandolfo.

There are also cautionary tales when choosing that high ceiling player. Look one pick earlier, Eduward Sale. Not exactly lighting junior hockey on fire.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Wisconsin took 9 of a possible 12 points from Minnesota. 3 of a possible 6 this weekend in spite of their 2023 1st round pick not factoring in too much. I'm sure Wisconsin fans love to see that.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Why is there a regional in Maryland Heights, MO in a building that only seats 2500?

They should have the top seeds in each region host in their own barn.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad