OT: 2023-2024 NCAA Hockey Thread

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Charlie Strobel now too according to the GPL transfer portal.
Related to Mark Strobel? Eliteprospects says yes. My sister went to Hill-Murray with Mark Strobel. She knew him from grade school and chose to go to Hill, a school my family could barely afford, because she thought he was hot. I grew up poor because of my sister's lust for this kid's uncle.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Players staying plus freshmen coming in, not crazy to think he maybe was given a heads up about playing time or even being on the team. Or they just see the writing on the wall themselves.
Gotcha. lol I took it another way.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Russo was on KFAN on Saturday talking about how some players enter the portal with a gentle shove from the coaches after being told they might not see the ice that much next season. Its a wierd situation with the Covid era players who have an added 5th year eligibility. Teams have new players coming in, and if you arent a top line/pairing guy, its "suggested" that if you want to see the ice you should find a new school

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Unless I didn't hear something, the only players of note that have left are Nelson and Brodzinski, yeah?

Everybody else like Koster, Chesley, Pitlick, Huglen, and Nevers (and obviously Snuggerud) have stuck around?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Russo was on KFAN on Saturday talking about how some players enter the portal with a gentle shove from the coaches after being told they might not see the ice that much next season. Its a wierd situation with the Covid era players who have an added 5th year eligibility. Teams have new players coming in, and if you arent a top line/pairing guy, its "suggested" that if you want to see the ice you should find a new school
That's trash, if true. Seems to me Fish gave everything to Motzko.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
This is first year he's played notably more than 50% of the games. He played 7 games last year. Sometimes players are upgraded.
Yeah but hasn't he been banged up? He destroyed both his knees in HS and Juniors.

I might have to stop in to Strauss, talk to Moose about Fish. He might be privy to that situation.

I'm not gonna lie, I know someone who played for Motzko and he said Motzko is a prick.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The transfer portal is already having an adverse effect on college hockey. I do see the "free agency" part of it and I remember feeling bad for Nick Seeler, for one, when he had to sit a year when he transferred to the Goofs. That said, this idea of moving around in search of ice time or because a hockey coach used rough tone on you... just doesn't sit well. They call it college commitment for a reason. Should be a rarity, not a commonplace.

Reactions: Northerner

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The transfer portal is already having an adverse effect on college hockey. I do see the "free agency" part of it and I remember feeling bad for Nick Seeler, for one, when he had to sit a year when he transferred to the Goofs. That said, this idea of moving around in search of ice time or because a hockey coach used rough tone on you... just doesn't sit well. They call it college commitment for a reason. Should be a rarity, not a commonplace.

From what I understand, after we get through the covid-era group of players who got an extra year of eligibility, we won't see the same number of players entering the portal in the future. Whether that holds true, remains to be seen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Never made sense that coaches could jump around, but players had to sit. Probably should've done a hybrid of 33% of the season or something.

But it's the wild west now, no going back.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is the coddled, instant gratification, short attention span generation. A year is a commitment for them. The team shopping for hockey is really just an extension what's happening in youth sports. Don't like your local team, school of choice transfer to a different one. There is also the boarding school option, USDP, AAA, and the USHL/NAHL options.

I don't feel bad for college sports at all. College is just another big business to me at this point. 30 years ago going to the state flagship school (UM, UW) was something that was something that could be done with little to no debt (pell grant, part time job while at school and a summer job) with a ~$5k/yr tuition. Now tuition is ~$20k/yr. I could get a full year of text books for less than what a single text books cost now.

Edit* To clarify something saying they are coddled, etc is as much on the parents as it is on the kids themselves. I'm guilty of it with my kid too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad