OT: 2023-2024 NCAA Hockey Thread

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Jaxon Nelson signed with the Bruins.
Bummer but I think that’s a smart move. They seem to be excellent at getting the most out of their guys. Plus they don’t have a ton of depth in their system

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I don't follow college sports so forgive me the question... this just means that the student athlete wants to go to a different school?

Yes. And it has drastically changed college sports in just a couple yrs

I was looking at some kids hockey profile recently and the guy had played for FOUR different NCAA hockey programs in four yrs IIRC. Nutty stuff. I honestly don't think it's good for the game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Did they not have the option a couple years ago?

They (undergrads) had the option to transfer in the past, but there were a lot of hurdles involved with it. It was more of a basketball thing than other sports then. Football had handful graduate transfers (Russel Wilson to UW) happen each year.

Now the barriers have been removed with the transfer portal and NIL. There is a lot of money going to college athletes now. It's not just the outright payouts either, there is the secondary social media type of earnings too.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They (undergrads) had the option to transfer in the past, but there were a lot of hurdles involved with it. It was more of a basketball thing than other sports then. Football had handful graduate transfers (Russel Wilson to UW) happen each year.

Now the barriers have been removed with the transfer portal and NIL. There is a lot of money going to college athletes now. It's not just the outright payouts either, there is the secondary social media type of earnings too.
On the one hand, I kind of like the thought of these young adults having more control over the situation, and smart programs/coaches will utilize the transfer portal to their program's benefit going forward, but on the other hand it seems like it has turned college hockey (and alll of collegel athletics) into the Wild West.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Baseball has had a lot of kids transferring for a long time. It's usually because programs promise a lot when they recruit you, but often don't follow up on their promises. Also, coaches leave to go to better jobs, get fired, etc.
Being a college athlete is hard work, super hard if you're a D1 athlete. Many times they are only getting a % of their tuition paid, and some don't get any, while coaches in the money sports make ridiculous $$$. I'm all in favor of anything that tries to even out the power imbalance, if only a bit.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I’ve seen people talk about Finley leaving too. DSP turned pro. A lot of top of the lineup spots opening up for Wisconsin… Wonder if that could get Stramel to stay.
Nah, he should go to a good program, like the Gophers :sarcasm:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Transfer portal is probably bad for the sport, but it’s also a lot of fun. College Hockey is so much fun to follow these days.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
On the one hand, I kind of like the thought of these young adults having more control over the situation, and smart programs/coaches will utilize the transfer portal to their program's benefit going forward, but on the other hand it seems like it has turned college hockey (and alll of collegel athletics) into the Wild West.

I just find it amusing how some my die hard college fan acquaintances lose their minds about the transfers.

I just look at it as college is the last chance for most of these kids to play their chosen sport at a high level. Let them have the best experience they can before they enter the real world and life kicks them in the teeth.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just find it amusing how some my die hard college fan acquaintances lose their minds about the transfers.

I just look at it as college is the last chance for most of these kids to play their chosen sport at a high level. Let them have the best experience they can before they enter the real world and life kicks them in the teeth.
Yup, and it's not like college sports themselves aren't full of obstacles to overcome.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Whitelaw played top 6 all year. That’s the head scratcher gut punch for me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Whitelaw played top 6 all year. That’s the head scratcher gut punch for me.

College athletes are a weekend fling not a long term commitment. Enjoy the time they are there and move on when they leave (transfer, graduate, injury, etc.).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00