Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
36 goals and PPG who had a 58.3 face off winning percentage (he was 2nd to Bergeron for anyone with over 1000 faceoffs) is stinking up the joint?
Sundin only had 3 seasons better than JT last year in his entire career with the Leafs

I think the argument more to do with his salary, not nexceasasly his play

I am not going to make this Sundin vs Tavares

But Sundin was super clutch. Different times, different players

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This team would be over the cap by at least 10 million, and we aren't Vegas, I don't think we can stash players until the playoffs.

Would be a great team though, too bad the cap exists, and people will overpay most of these players.

if we can dump murray+brodie thats 9.6 million gained with an already 9 million available in cap space thats about 18.6 million to work with for next season.

Bertuzi, Domi, Barbashev, Perry/E.Staal, Kampf, Acciari, Schenn, Zadorov, Mayfield, Samsonov

just spit balling here:

1. Bertuzi (5.0 AAV) previous cap hit 4.75 AAV
2. Domi (3.5 AAV) previous cap hit 3.0 AAV
3. Barbashev (3.5 AAV) previous cap hit 2.25 AAV
4. Perry/E. Staal (750K) previous cap hit 1M (perry)/750K (Staal)
5. Kampf (1.75 AAV) previous cap hit 1.5 AAV
6. Acciari (1.25 AAV) previous cap hit 1.25 AAV
7. Schenn (900K AAV) previous cap hit 850K AAV
8. Zadorov (3.75 AAV) pending UFA (think of this like a TDL acquisition but done in summer)
9. Mayfield (2.0 AAV) previous cap hit 1.45 AAV
10. Samsonov (3.0 AAV) previous cap hit 2.0 AAV

TOTAL of 10 guys: approx 25 AAV in cap hit

Leafs have 9 million in cap space now; trade Murray+Brodie it gives Leafs about 18.6 AAV. According to cap friendly adjusting for LTIR Leafs have about 14.8 AAV if you add 9 from Murray+Brodie OUT it is approximately 24 AAV

only 1 million short. Its not impossible just need to get a bit creative with it. You can trade Timmins too 1.1 AAV and try to make it work.

Also don;t have to grab everyone of those but at least most of those will also work.

Like I said in that post; it doesn't have to be exactly the same guys, but of the same ilk and then make the cap work until the boat anchor tavares is off the cap.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I believe Karlsson has 3 good years left in him.

He is only 32 and finally healthy

11.5 AAV is too much to pay for what he brings IMO; I don't think he is going to be able to have such production for 3 years that he just had. Thats a massive risk to take.

Teams are going to have to move significant pieces off their roster to accommodate 11.5 AAV

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
if we can dump murray+brodie thats 9.6 million gained with an already 9 million available in cap space thats about 18.6 million to work with for next season.

Bertuzi, Domi, Barbashev, Perry/E.Staal, Kampf, Acciari, Schenn, Zadorov, Mayfield, Samsonov

just spit balling here:

8. Zadorov (3.75 AAV) pending UFA (think of this like a TDL acquisition but done in summer)

Leafs have 9 million in cap space now; trade Murray+Brodie it gives Leafs about 18.6 AAV. According to cap friendly adjusting for LTIR Leafs have about 14.8 AAV if you add 9 from Murray+Brodie OUT it is approximately 24 AAV

only 1 million short. Its not impossible just need to get a bit creative with it. You can trade Timmins too 1.1 AAV and try to make it work.

Also don;t have to grab everyone of those but at least most of those will also work.

Like I said in that post; it doesn't have to be exactly the same guys, but of the same ilk and then make the cap work until the boat anchor tavares is off the cap.

Remember to account for Muzzins LTIR too as an fyi. They have 14.7 mil in capspace with him included

Reactions: ktownhockey

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Roster as it stands right now

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson*-Tavares-Nylander
XXX-XXX-Jankrok
XXX-XXX-Laferty

Rielly-Liljegren
McCabe-Timmins
Gio-Brodie

Woll
Murray
Samsonov (RFA)

9 million in capspace. I'd like to bring Acciari, Schenn and Kampf back; trade Brodie and pressbox Gio. Assuming Robertson is good to go starting next season; trade Robertson

Also we need someone to play 2nd line C and move tavares to the wing (he can take face-offs) or make Tavares 3C.

Wish list for this summer:
- Take murray of our hands without us having to pay any draft capital
- Add depth with sandpaper that can score

If we can somehow fit it; would like: (Patty Kane and Tarasenko are pipe dream not gonna happen IMO; and ROR unless signed for cheap is not going to age well)

Trade: Murray+Brodie = 9.6M + 9M already available = 18Million space

Purple: UFA
Blue: Trade

Forward: Criteria - need to be someone that hits, is an a-hole and can play hockey. (Kampf an exception).

Line 1: Scoring with shit disturber who can actually hit and play physical
Bertuzi-Matthews-Nylander

Line 2: Domi can produce and is not afraid to mix it up if required. No other decent UFA center available. ROR signing IMO could be a mistake. Lindholm from the flames who wants out can be a good fit but i really don't want to trade assets anymore for pending UFAs. We should draft centers and hope in 2 to 3 years time we have top6 center).

Knies-Domi-Marner

Line 3: A big body on the left wing that can hit and produce. Tavares doesn't need to shoulder any additional responsibility and doesn't have to play too many minutes.

Barbashev-Tavares-Jankrok

Line 4: Shit disturbers on LW and RW who can hit and score and a defensively responsible center. I still remember E. Staal shooting the puck an Phaneuf :laugh: yea it was bad but we need some a-holes in the Leafsland.
Perry or E.Staal (1 yr deal)-Kampf-Acciari
Laferty

Defense: Criteria - Big FU kinda d-men. no more softies on the backend. There is absolutely no reason to play 3rd pair 10 mins or so when you can distribute minutes in a more balanced way too.

Pair 1: No explanation required; they were pretty good
Rielly-Schenn

Pair 2: Give Lily green light to do his thing offensively ffs
McCabe-Liljegren

Pair 3: A big ass FU pair. If need be for puck moving ability McCabe and Zadorov can change places with in game adjustments. Zadorov is a pending UFA anyway we can evaluate the situation end of next season.

Zadorov - Mayfield (a big ass FU pair)-

GOALIES:
Samsanov (RFA-arbitration eligible)
Woll

PP#1
Nylander-Matthews-Marner-Tavares-Rielly

PP#2
Bertuzi-Domi-Knies-Perry/Staal-Liljegren

PK#1
Kampf-Marner
McCabe Schenn

PK#2
Acciari-Jankrok
FU Pair (i.e. Pair 3)

PK#3 (if required)
Matthews-XXX (yes we need Matthews to do some PK when needed)
Rielly-Liljegren

Additional Notes:
Following year we can trade Jankrok to help with Matthews/Nylander contracts if required.

Bottom Line:
Tavares contract effing us up but if we can make it fit; I'd like to see if we can do something like this. Doesn't have to be exactly the same players but we have to make an effort to up our "A-hole" demeanor a bit. Playing "nice-guy" hockey ain't gonna work.
Even though I disagree with most of the players you've acquired or haven't moved, It's a thorough overview of the team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Even though I disagree with most of the players you've acquired or haven't moved, It's a thorough overview of the team.

I'd like to move Tavares but thats not happening he has full NMC/NTC.

Then its between Marner/Nylander that one has to move; I'd pick Marner to move but management has clearly signaled IMO that they are bringing the so called "Core-4" back so what can one do to change the outlook of the team without moving the core4? well you bringing in guys who do not look like core 4; who play different style of hockey but still produce.

For the backend; we are in dire need of towering D-men who actually use their body to hit and intimidate opposition forwards unlike Holl.
Remember to account for Muzzins LTIR too as an fyi. They have 14.7 mil in capspace with him included

yea added that at the end of the post

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

just spit balling here:

I think you underpaid every single UFA there, some by a couple of million.

If those were the prices of everyone, I'd be on board, just don't think it's close.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
On the radio today someone was talking about Karlsson, and about what he would get as a UFA on the Open market on a 4 year deal. 25 goal 100 point d-man. Seems he'd likely get about 8 or 8.5. So really SJ would only have to eat about 3 million maybe 3.5 and he should be sellable.

So Karlsson is 2 million better than Severson or Sanheim? He is 1 million dollars less valuable than Nurse or Jones.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't think the Leafs have the money needed to get what they need to win. The overpaid 4 aren't nearly good enough come playoffs and it's been proven. They won't be better next year either.The Dubas model will implode and we have no draft picks.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
1. Bertuzi (6.0 AAV) previous cap hit 4.75 AAV
2. Domi (4.5 AAV) previous cap hit 3.0 AAV
3. Barbashev (6.75 AAV) previous cap hit 2.25 AAV
4. Perry/E. Staal (1.5/1.0 AAV) previous cap hit 1M (perry)/750K (Staal)
5. Kampf (2.75 AAV) previous cap hit 1.5 AAV
6. Acciari (2.75 AAV) previous cap hit 1.25 AAV
7. Schenn (1.75 AAV) previous cap hit 850K AAV
8. Zadorov (4.5 AAV) pending UFA (think of this like a TDL acquisition but done in summer)
9. Mayfield (4.5 AAV) previous cap hit 1.45 AAV
10. Samsonov (4.0 AAV) previous cap hit 2.0 AAV
Fixed it for you.

Reactions: Fogelhund

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He was a very good player, but never a 'star'.

If you think he is, that's fine - we just disagree.
Nah. One can "just disagree" on whether he will play at the level of star over the remaining two years of his deal. One can disagree about the degree to which he is or is not overpaid. But whether he's been a star over his career?

3rd in goals, 5th in points since entering the league. Twice named to team Canada in best on best mens events. 2x Hart Trophy nominations, 1x 1st All-Star Team, 6 trips to the NHL all-star game.

There are 4 reasons someone could say Tavares was never a star in the NHL
-a personal definition of "star" so different from the mainstream that it's rendered meaningless
-zero knowledge of the NHL or hockey
-trolling
-a weird irrational dislike of John Tavares

Couple that with currently considering Calle Jarncrok a better offensive player, and JT worse than '16 Kunitz/Hornqvist... yikes. Idiotic.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Couldn’t disagree more. I don’t think this group gives a shit about the choking narrative anymore. Especially now that they got passed the first round. I think we might actually see them achieve success for the first time now that they have eluded that mental hurdle. Obviously they didn’t get the result we all wanted in the second round, but I think mentally they are probably in the best spot they’ve ever been in the last 7 years to start a season.

The only people really on edge is fans. We want to taste a larger amount of success. Winning one round wasn’t good enough for us. I don’t think it’s enough for the players in the room either but the biggest pressure point has been that first round and they finally got over that hurdle. So I don’t think the players feel that sense of pressure anymore which is a good thing overall.
Half the group is a revolving door...even more so this year... I dont know what 'group' you are referring to....I believe unless one or two of the core are traded ( should have been years ago) this group is not going anywhere. They may not even make the playoffs! Same coach, same core 4/5, no $$$....what can you realistically expect. Hoping is just that. You can thank Shanahan and his well thought out stupid Shanaplan for this. I would feel optimistic if he was canned. As of today I do not. This is more of the same old same old.....this organization and the ownership group are pathetic.

Wishful thinking that they got over the hurdle. They got over round one and then face planted the moment the puck dropped on round 2. The hurdle is bigger now if anything.

And the idea that they don’t feel pressure any more couldn’t be further from the truth. The GM just got fired, we traded for a half dozen rentals, their contracts are coming up, and they have one round to show for it. Not to mention this is Toronto where there’s always pressure. The pressure is on in a big way, one round win just makes that the baseline for next year.
At this point we are in tough to make the playoffs...

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I drank the Kool Aid with the "We can and we Will" proclomation.

What I have come to realize is it is awesome the Leafs have 4 really good forwards
BUT
They should break up the gang and allocate resources elsewhere.

If you go to a steak house do you order 3 steaks because the steak is really good?
Or do you get a salad, steak, and a glass of wine.
Spread out the costs to have a better overall experience.
I like the analogy 😄

Reactions: The Iceman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Half the group is a revolving door...even more so this year... I dont know what 'group' you are referring to....I believe unless one or two of the core are traded ( should have been years ago) this group is not going anywhere. They may not even make the playoffs! Same coach, same core 4/5, no $$$....what can you realistically expect. Hoping is just that. You can thank Shanahan and his well thought out stupid Shanaplan for this. I would feel optimistic if he was canned. As of today I do not. This is more of the same old same old.....this organization and the ownership group are pathetic.

At this point we are in tough to make the playoffs...
As of today I don’t think they’re a lock to make the playoffs.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I’ve never been a Karlsson fan, but maybe he could be a difference maker in Toronto?

Obviously, his cap hit is the major issue. I wonder if the Leafs could get a third team involved to help with that?

If SJ were to cover 25%, is there a team looking to take on salary to get to the cap floor, who would take on 25 or even 50%?

With that sort of retention, EK might be worth serious consideration. The cost to get that retention, plus the cost of acquiring the latest Norris trophy winner in a trade, might still prove to be too costly.

Maybe there are other options that can be less expensive and still bring that offence on the back end. What does everyone think about this?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We're going to close this thread. For any trades and signings rumours/talk, use the sticky thread. It's doubling a lot of the same talks.

For Treliving talks, go to his thread.

For any draft talk, use the sticky or the GDT.

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad