Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
if tavares wasn't stinking up the joint; I;d be willing to part with the 1st rounder we have to get Hall at 50% retained from the hawks.
36 goals and PPG who had a 58.3 face off winning percentage (he was 2nd to Bergeron for anyone with over 1000 faceoffs) is stinking up the joint?
Sundin only had 3 seasons better than JT last year in his entire career with the Leafs

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This is seriously f***ing stupid. I get that it was cool on the Islanders board to shit on JT, but get a grip.
He was a very good player, but never a 'star'.

If you think he is, that's fine - we just disagree.

And the Islanders board only disliked him because of the way he left.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
36 goals and PPG who had a 58.3 face off winning percentage (he was 2nd to Bergeron for anyone with over 1000 faceoffs) is stinking up the joint?
Sundin only had 3 seasons better than JT last year in his entire career with the Leafs
18 goals and 23 assists at even strength, despite playing with one of the best right wingers in the league (3rd in goals and 5th in points). Yes, he's still very good at faceoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I was thinking about the Karlsson situation last night and how bizarre it is to have a top talent in arguably the most sought after position being moved at a loss.

Think about it, this is a 100 pt defenseman, hart finalist, coming off a career year and Norris.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
On the radio today someone was talking about Karlsson, and about what he would get as a UFA on the Open market on a 4 year deal. 25 goal 100 point d-man. Seems he'd likely get about 8 or 8.5. So really SJ would only have to eat about 3 million maybe 3.5 and he should be sellable.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
On the radio today someone was talking about Karlsson, and about what he would get as a UFA on the Open market on a 4 year deal. 25 goal 100 point d-man. Seems he'd likely get about 8 or 8.5. So really SJ would only have to eat about 3 million maybe 3.5 and he should be sellable.
The potential problem lies in what SJ might be expecting as a return for retaining such an amount over that period of time?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
The potential problem lies in what SJ might be expecting as a return for retaining such an amount over that period of time?
Very true. But if they are really hungry to get out from under that contract it should be do-able. What's 3.5/year for 4 years worth on the open market? Might be a salary dump for a year or 2, and a young asset or 2 maybe? I dunno, spit-balling. My evaluations have been off before so not gonna guess lol.

Reactions: Buds17

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
Very true. But if they are really hungry to get out from under that contract it should be do-able. What's 3.5/year for 4 years worth on the open market? Might be a salary dump for a year or 2, and a young asset or 2 maybe? I dunno, spit-balling. My evaluations have been off before so not gonna guess lol.
What assets can we realistically part with for him?

1st, Lilly, Robertson, maybe some prospects, and maybe we tuck in Murray for the year? Surely another team would offer more? Id be over the moon if we could land him without needing to subtract anyone from the current roster of value.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Roster as it stands right now

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson*-Tavares-Nylander
XXX-XXX-Jankrok
XXX-XXX-Laferty

Rielly-Liljegren
McCabe-Timmins
Gio-Brodie

Woll
Murray
Samsonov (RFA)

9 million in capspace. I'd like to bring Acciari, Schenn and Kampf back; trade Brodie and pressbox Gio. Assuming Robertson is good to go starting next season; trade Robertson

Also we need someone to play 2nd line C and move tavares to the wing (he can take face-offs) or make Tavares 3C.

Wish list for this summer:
- Take murray of our hands without us having to pay any draft capital
- Add depth with sandpaper that can score

If we can somehow fit it; would like: (Patty Kane and Tarasenko are pipe dream not gonna happen IMO; and ROR unless signed for cheap is not going to age well)

Trade: Murray+Brodie = 9.6M + 9M already available = 18Million space

Purple: UFA
Blue: Trade

Forward: Criteria - need to be someone that hits, is an a-hole and can play hockey. (Kampf an exception).

Line 1: Scoring with shit disturber who can actually hit and play physical
Bertuzi-Matthews-Nylander

Line 2: Domi can produce and is not afraid to mix it up if required. No other decent UFA center available. ROR signing IMO could be a mistake. Lindholm from the flames who wants out can be a good fit but i really don't want to trade assets anymore for pending UFAs. We should draft centers and hope in 2 to 3 years time we have top6 center).

Knies-Domi-Marner

Line 3: A big body on the left wing that can hit and produce. Tavares doesn't need to shoulder any additional responsibility and doesn't have to play too many minutes.

Barbashev-Tavares-Jankrok

Line 4: Shit disturbers on LW and RW who can hit and score and a defensively responsible center. I still remember E. Staal shooting the puck an Phaneuf :laugh: yea it was bad but we need some a-holes in the Leafsland.
Perry or E.Staal (1 yr deal)-Kampf-Acciari
Laferty

Defense: Criteria - Big FU kinda d-men. no more softies on the backend. There is absolutely no reason to play 3rd pair 10 mins or so when you can distribute minutes in a more balanced way too.

Pair 1: No explanation required; they were pretty good
Rielly-Schenn

Pair 2: Give Lily green light to do his thing offensively ffs
McCabe-Liljegren

Pair 3: A big ass FU pair. If need be for puck moving ability McCabe and Zadorov can change places with in game adjustments. Zadorov is a pending UFA anyway we can evaluate the situation end of next season.

Zadorov - Mayfield (a big ass FU pair)-

GOALIES:
Samsanov (RFA-arbitration eligible)
Woll

PP#1
Nylander-Matthews-Marner-Tavares-Rielly

PP#2
Bertuzi-Domi-Knies-Perry/Staal-Liljegren

PK#1
Kampf-Marner
McCabe Schenn

PK#2
Acciari-Jankrok
FU Pair (i.e. Pair 3)

PK#3 (if required)
Matthews-XXX (yes we need Matthews to do some PK when needed)
Rielly-Liljegren

Additional Notes:
Following year we can trade Jankrok to help with Matthews/Nylander contracts if required.

Bottom Line:
Tavares contract effing us up but if we can make it fit; I'd like to see if we can do something like this. Doesn't have to be exactly the same players but we have to make an effort to up our "A-hole" demeanor a bit. Playing "nice-guy" hockey ain't gonna work.

Last edited:

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Line 1: Scoring with shit disturber who can actually hit and play physical
Bertuzi-Matthews-Nylander

Line 2: Domi can produce and is not afraid to mix it up if required. No other decent UFA center available. ROR signing IMO could be a mistake. Lindholm from the flames who wants out can be a good fit but i really don't want to trade assets anymore for pending UFAs. We should draft centers and hope in 2 to 3 years time we have top6 center).

Knies-Domi-Marner

Line 3: A big body on the left wing that can hit and produce. Tavares doesn't need to shoulder any additional responsibility and doesn't have to play too many minutes.

Barbashev-Tavares-Jankrok

Line 4: Shit disturbers on LW and RW who can hit and score and a defensively responsible center. I still remember E. Staal shooting the puck an Phaneuf :laugh: yea it was bad but we need some a-holes in the Leafsland.
Perry or E.Staal (1 yr deal)-Kampf-Acciari
Laferty

Defense: Criteria - Big FU kinda d-men. no more softies on the backend. There is absolutely no reason to play 3rd pair 10 mins or so when you can distribute minutes in a more balanced way too.

Pair 1: No explanation required; they were pretty good
Rielly-Schenn

Pair 2: Give Lily green light to do his thing offensively ffs
McCabe-Liljegren

Pair 3: A big ass FU pair. If need be for puck moving ability McCabe and Zadorov can change places with in game adjustments. Zadorov is a pending UFA anyway we can evaluate the situation end of next season.

Zadorov - Mayfield (a big ass FU pair)-

This team would be over the cap by at least 10 million, and we aren't Vegas, I don't think we can stash players until the playoffs.

Would be a great team though, too bad the cap exists, and people will overpay most of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad