Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

I can easily be here like a lot and say change it all but I don't think that is the call. There will be payment/blood for the loss here, and I think it'll start first with Keefe along with the right re-tool/mix of players. Still don't want to jump and be like many and say trade it all. Man... After Sundin, we had Kyle Wellwood... painfully. Kyle "I really don't want to play NHL anymore but ill get paid" Wellwood (thank you for doing your time for us). I want to see who YOU would want to replace with who, yes people want players, and personnel gone but who are you going to replace them with?

2022-2023 Final/Playoff Line-up

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Bunting-O’Reilly-Acciari
-Kampf-Lafferty

Brodie-Holl
Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano

Woll (starter)
Murray

Bench: ZAR, Gustafsson, Simmonds, Knies, Samsonov
IR: Muzzin, Robertson, Mete, McMann

UNTOUCHABLE:
Rielly
Nylander
Knies*
Woll*​

Reason: Definition of playoff warriors, and they will show up, you can hate their way of gameplay but when it's showtime they thrive and perform. Knies & Woll part of our future unless it blows your pants off offer I doubt they move.

Everyone else gets a hard evaluation, to see if we can truly make it work for the deep run for the damn elusive cup.

FORWARDS

Matthews: I know people want Matthews out... but I rather have a two-way center than a winger(looking at Marner), he didn't show up in the second round. He did everything but score in my opinion in the second round. First round he was good, but not great. Don't know injury or just got Goalied. Results matter, in the end, no cup, doesn't matter.

Marner: One of the most defensive and skilled wingers of our times, but his over-the-cute plays have been costly. He was better this year and last year compared to previous years. Playoffs matter more than the regular season for us to get anywhere and the end result wasn't good enough. I think he's truly the biggest bargaining chip to get the right mix to push along with a coaching change. This is coming from one of his biggest fans too but I am a Leaf fan first and foremost.

Jarnkrok: He can play. That's it, he's a good body to keep and fill in our spots, IMO he is Kerfoot's replacement for plug and plays.

Kerfoot: Swiss army knife man should be gone this off-season, likely be looking internally for his replacement also via Jarnkrok or trade.

Tavares: Not good enough, I felt more captain presence and power from Rielly (I think he's the captain frankly, just C is on Tavares). He was exploited quite easily at times, it was tough to see. Again results matter and steps up are important, he did in the first round for a bit but more so is needed. We are stuck with this barring some miracle of him waiving the NMC, so we have to figure out how to make this work.

Nylander: He stays, he talks he walks, has a swagger, and backs it up. Lump him with the Core-4 all you want but he was better than the other three hands down. He is Kessel IMO, hated because of his style of gameplay but he will show up in his way to carry. Also for the love of god give him a player that can skate to his level, it was painful to watch Tavares fan those shots while he speedily made many amazing freaking plays.

Bunting: Initially good, has worn out and his reputation will harm more than help. You can like his style of game but he flops man, and he whines. You can be a pest but I don't think this is the way. (yes imagine the Mandorlian this is the way but reverse)

O'Reilly: Really fizzled after Tampa,100% sure he was playing injured but so is everyone. He was great and came with a lot of hype and probably gave me the most hope, but seeing how he fumbled a lot in the second round makes me wary. The "factor" become a non-factor afterward and was making some very VERY silly mistakes. Maybe a good off-season will make things different, we have a world-class health and sports organization. He's also a mercenary for hire so I don't expect a deal or home-town discount.

Acciari: Keep and protect this gem, I didn't put him in the untouchable but man he is as close as you can get to it. Works hard every damn shift, doesn't matter what the excuse is, just gets it done. Huge mistake if we let him go. Cookie for life man.

Kampf: Our actual first-line center in the second round :laugh: he did well, I like his hustle, he does kind of vanish from time but I think he's just right. No reason not to re-sign him. I am not gonna lose sleep either though if he leaves for greener pastures.

Lafferty: He left me wanting more but again he did well in the second round and I feel like he could've been better in the whole spectrum of things but I am fine with him.

Knies: Yea we don't move him, he's untouchable, people gave a lot of shit and also crapped on the kid saying he won't show up. He proved people wrong. Also deserved better for being sumo slammed but what can you do? He'll come back stronger and more grizzled for the next round.

Ashton-Reese: After cookie, I realized how much more people can deliver, I liked him and want to keep him but if there are better options we go for them instead of him. He's more expendable.

Simmonds: It was nice knowing him, too bad only a shell of what he used to be. Good luck to him I think we part ways.

DEFENSE

Brodie: Don't know what the heck happened, but man he stunk it up a lot in the latter half. A veteran making such costly mistakes really hurt, he was a solid signing but this season a lot of his plays were extremely costly, when he was signed he was a rarity and now he's an excess commodity. Two more years at 5 Million, remaining, a good chip, or potentially a rebound (hopefully).

Holl: Hate him all you want but he also was a massive time-on-ice consumer, too much for his own and our team's good. It helped our team in that way to give them a break but then too much was given and he pooped his pants. I think he is gone, it is time to move on and he is our whipping boy. He was to Keefe what Marincin was to Babcock. Both died with the players they loved the most.

Rielly: Shit on him all you want, hate him loathe him but he cares and he shows up. He is our captain by far above anyone else. The passion that that his man embodies should resonate more with this club but it is a shame it hasn't. It's not about the hometown boy only, he's a good old BC boy that has grown up a Leaf fan and there is a reason why he demands respect not just from his peers but others across the league too IMO.

Schenn: He's been a pleasant surprise, we'll re-sign I think. A very feel-good story but he was starting to fumble the longer the playoffs went. We can use his veteran presence for sure and he was incredibly solid for Rielly's partner. Keep for a bit until our other players are able and ready.

McCabe: Started great but you can see the lack of experience in the post-season and the type of grind started to get on him. A lot of silly mistakes which was uncharacteristic of him as he showed up initially well. He was overeager to make moves, pinching for the big hit that led to really bad rushes against us. He is still a steal for us IMO with this price but definitely needs to be sharper in the future.

Liljegren: I've been a fan of Lily for a long time so I am biased, I think he should've been given way more opportunity to play and that has to do with the coaching preferring Holl. He wasn't the same after getting his ass sat down. He made mistakes but he wasn't the reason I think that was costly for us to move forward, it's more of a mental game for this man than it is physical, the more rhyme and rhythm for him the better he gets. Hopefully, he shines coming forward.

Timmins: Great when called upon and we have him on a good deal for the upcoming future. He's definitely injury prone but he showed promise hopefully we can develop him right have become a solid and consistent contributor in the coming future.

Giordano: A steady and discount for his age in the regular season but the mileage was showing in the playoffs. He started making a lot of brain farts and it was kind of sad, I'd say second to holl in the brutal defensive woes fall on him. Maybe Spezza time for him.

Gustafsson: Was nice when he was given a chance, I understood the need to be stocked in the back end with our luck initially with defensive injuries but at the same time, I think our main goal was the 1st rounder in this year's draft. He's good as gone IMO barring some miracle and moving on from others unexpectedly.

GOALIES

Murray: He has the talent but he can not get a break and stay healthy, to me he is the Carlo Coloicavo of Goalies, albeit a lot more talented and mentally stable IMO. If we get Murray's mind and Sammy's body we would've been set. Unsure what will happen but he isn't going to cost as much as people think to move frankly. We should be fine IMO.

Samsonov: Not pretty but he made timely saves in the playoffs, he definitely showed why he was highly touted. I think we still keep him and move forward with him more so than anyone because personally, I think he's done a lot to progress, it's his time until Woll just overtakes him or it is a combo. There is no one goalie one in this league anymore, it's having the workload of two who can show up anytime. Also, his interviews are just great and refreshing, nice compared to media training our boys got to be very bland.

Woll: Woll to me is what Campbell would've been with the demeanor and friendly appeal but skill to back it up and not going mentally combust. It's nice to see him do well with a good team in front of him, anyone watching the Marlies knows how much that helps. I think he's part of the future so I hope he can fully take the reins. Just a very likable guy.

LTIR
"Gone but never truly forgotten"​

Muzzin: Man...I wish we had him still, he's likely never gonna play again but god damn it, dude...I missed him in all of this, we made trades for a couple of people to get one of him. At this point, it is truly only about his quality of life, but a selfish part of me wants him back.

Robertson: Probably has the lowest value of him right now so, I wouldn't trade him. Need to make him worth a while to make him a bargaining chip, he is skilled just doesn't know when to be a firecracker and when to be a rocket. Hopefully, we can get him to figure it out, it's been promising but truly unfortunate.

Mete: Remember this guy? Yea, I forgot him too, he was ok but not great but he also went away. We still have his rights so let's see what happens.

McMann: Would've been fun to have and come back and get his first NHL goal but injuries suck. Hopefully, he'll make noise at the Marlies soon.

OPERATIONS:

Shanny/Dubas: Finally made the right moves that got the right mix but in the end, it didn't produce the result so that sucks ass and doesn't matter. People want Dubas' head, sure you are entitled to it but who are you going to replace him with? I don't think there is anyone out there that's a good person to take over frankly, not in my view.

Replacement: The only one I can maybe think of is Treliving but other than that...I don't see it. I am thinking he comes back.

Keefe/Coaches: I'm sure he's a player's coach and a great one for that but I do not believe he is the one that'll lead us to the cup. More so than that, I think he'll be the one on the chopping block that has to pay the price to make some changes to figure this out.

Replacement: I have no idea, I keep thinking Queenville but after the Chicago fiasco I am unsure he will be welcomed by MLSE. I don't think it'll be Gallant, Sutter, or Brunette. The one I truly wanted is gone in the front office, Barry Trotz.

Anyways that's my view...I gave replacement options, stating who you would want replacements of instead of just gone :laugh: I am curious. There is enough he gone he moved but what are replacement options?

TARGETS UFA/TRADE

PlayerTeamAgePositionCost
Reason
Travis KonecnyFlyers26RW/LW5.5He has the bite and skill, Flyers are doing a firesale likely.
Scott LaughtonFlyers28C/LW3.0Consolation Prize if Konecny isn't attainable :laugh:
Alex KillornLightning33RW/LW4.5Pain in the ass to play against
Carson SoucyKraken28LD2.75Always liked him and I think he'll do well for us with the type of we lack.
Radko GudasPanthers33RD2.5I know right? Too soon. I hate playing against him but I'm sure he'd be 100% loved here.
Ivan BarbashevKnights27C/RW2.25Very unlikely he'll part but I can dream right?

I swear this was gonna be a short post...I need help.

Last edited:

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I agree or am indifferent with most of this, but adding Gudas would be a mistake. Just because he got away with a hold/interference on the series winner doesn't make him a good player. He put himself in poor positions multiple times by trying to go for a big hit, just because our forwards did a poor job of capitalizing doesnt change that... He was also extremely lucky to not be more penalized.

I agree on coaching, Keefe is a good coach, but hasn't been able to put a system in place to support our players in the playoffs. Not sure who to replace him with though, but if we can find somebody to come in and make us 10% more consistent it'll make a big difference.

Nobody better than Dubas, keep him. He's been good and is a rare GM that has shown the ability to grow.

As for our players, a healthy Muzzin would've been huge but unfortunately he appears to be done... wish him the best for his health. Robertson won't return much in a trade but still has a legit chance to be a top 6.... don't trade.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Good read, except for the quote at the top. It should say:

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I agree or am indifferent with most of this, but adding Gudas would be a mistake. Just because he got away with a hold/interference on the series winner doesn't make him a good player. He put himself in poor positions multiple times by trying to go for a big hit, just because our forwards did a poor job of capitalizing doesnt change that... He was also extremely lucky to not be more penalized.

I agree on coaching, Keefe is a good coach, but hasn't been able to put a system in place to support our players in the playoffs. Not sure who to replace him with though, but if we can find somebody to come in and make us 10% more consistent it'll make a big difference.

Nobody better than Dubas, keep him. He's been good and is a rare GM that has shown the ability to grow.

As for our players, a healthy Muzzin would've been huge but unfortunately he appears to be done... wish him the best for his health. Robertson won't return much in a trade but still has a legit chance to be a top 6.... don't trade.
I dont think its because of the call tbh, I always liked Gudas Imo.

Good read, except for the quote at the top. It should say:

Am unsure of the actual quote but changed for your liking.

I also realized perry is also very much available so I'd be looking into that too if possible.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I am unsure what the shift is but I'd be very shocked if there wasn't consequences tbh .

Also if this was any one of ours boys putting this quote they would be destroyed.

I think they actually have said that. Toronto media is too friendly with the players.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
1684166397945.jpeg

Credit to @TMLeafer :biglaugh:

They got Acciari too
We must protect cookie. Cookie is love

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Another wasted opportunity. There should be NO WAY, that this team's core remains intact. They had so many years to get the job done and FAILED. I would build around Matthews, the other four forwards is up in the air (would rather build around a centerman than a winger). Need to find more players that have that second gear and intensity. Players like Gudas or Tkachuk showed that intensity, something that the Leafs lacked throughout the playoffs.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I am unsure what the shift is but I'd be very shocked if there wasn't consequences tbh .

Also if this was any one of ours boys putting this quote they would be destroyed.

In fairness, they basicslly fed him that quote in the interview, its like the Alfredsson "we guarantee a win" vs TML playoffs.

McD should have responded better, but he didnt seem comfortable or like he was all that confident in the response. Just wanted to get it over with

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Another wasted opportunity. There should be NO WAY, that this team's core remains intact. They had so many years to get the job done and FAILED. I would build around Matthews, the other four forwards is up in the air (would rather build around a centerman than a winger). Need to find more players that have that second gear and intensity. Players like Gudas or Tkachuk showed that intensity, something that the Leafs lacked throughout the playoffs.
I do believe there will be changes coming and I do think one of the guys will be gone for sure. Keefe is good as gone if there is payment to be made.

Reactions: Rocker13

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
In fairness, they basicslly fed him that quote in the interview, its like the Alfredsson "we guarantee a win" vs TML playoffs.

McD should have responded better, but he didnt seem comfortable or like he was all that confident in the response. Just wanted to get it over with
I think he just gets cut a lot of slack tbh because he is the NHL's poster boy but I agree he was sort of spoon-fed that for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad