Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Well injuries were a problem for sure with Bura missing a significant chunk of time.

Burakovsky might end up becoming a long term problem. He's right around the same number of games as last season and his points total has fallen off a cliff.

22/23 - 49 GP, 39 pts
23/24 - 46 GP, 16 pts

I think even more worrisome to me is that it just hasnt felt like he's had any natural chemistry with whoever Hak has paired him with all season long. If this is his "level" post-injury, that contract is going to be a boat anchor.

• Wow
Reactions: kihei

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Burakovsky might end up becoming a long term problem. He's right around the same number of games as last season and his points total has fallen off a cliff.

22/23 - 49 GP, 39 pts
23/24 - 46 GP, 16 pts

I think even more worrisome to me is that it just hasnt felt like he's had any natural chemistry with whoever Hak has paired him with all season long. If this is his "level" post-injury, that contract is going to be a boat anchor.
Injuries are certainly a concern but I am not that worried .. yet. This season looks to be more of an outlier given his history. It may also be possible that he is not 100% yet. I feel like too many hockey players force themselves back into the lineup earlier than they should.

As far as being a long term problem is concerned, he only has 5.5M AAV over the next 3 years. He is 29 years old right now. I am not too concerned about his contract.

Either way, I am ok waiting till next season to see how does.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Stezka has been pretty good for us in Coachella this year. But he is a pending UFA, we already have Dacccord and Gru for next season and also have Kokko in the wings.

Do you folks think he is going to be in the organization next season?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Stezka has been pretty good for us in Coachella this year. But he is a pending UFA, we already have Dacccord and Gru for next season and also have Kokko in the wings.

He played around 10 fewer games than Driedger this season, I am guessing Driedger walks (curious if it'll be to a NHL team though) and Stezka becomes the starter for CV and injury call-up.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He played around 10 fewer games than Driedger this season, I am guessing Driedger walks (curious if it'll be to a NHL team though) and Stezka becomes the starter for CV and injury call-up.

don't see Stezka coming back if Kokko comes over.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Don’t see them handing the keys to CV over to a 20 yr old who a) would be playing his first season in NA and b) looked horrendous at the WJC a couple months ago, even if he’s playing reasonably well of late.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Don’t see them handing the keys to CV over to a 20 yr old who a) would be playing his first season in NA and b) looked horrendous at the WJC a couple months ago, even if he’s playing reasonably well of late.

to be fair the finnish national team hasn't looked great of late in general regardless of the goalies.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Personally like to see Kokko play another 1-2 seasons in SM-Liiga and then come over just in time for a season in the AHL and late callup to Seattle. Perhaps be the heir apparent o Daccord or Gru. Kokko played for 2 different teams in Finland's top Professional circuit in 2023-24. He played more with Pelicans Lahti...with Lahti Pelicans he recorded a 1.49 GAA in 13 league games with them and 1.54 in 12 Play-off games! Kokko save percentage has been .926 and .933! The Pelicans are going to Finals so Niklas Kokko will be playing more games...

Not sure I'd say he played horrendous...he had his struggles for sure but also had some good games perhaps even excellent games

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I’m weirdly waffling between mildly disappointed and “what did I seriously expect?” acceptance that Kartye is going to finish with about 20 points this season. I guess after his decent showing last playoffs, I thought maybe 30-40 points halfway realistic?

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m weirdly waffling between mildly disappointed and “what did I seriously expect?” acceptance that Kartye is going to finish with about 20 points this season. I guess after his decent showing last playoffs, I thought maybe 30-40 points halfway realistic?
I know what you mean, but then again, if you told me before the start of this season that Tolvanen had more points than Beniers and that Beniers would not hit even 40 points, I would have been surprised.

It has just been a bad season overall. And disappointing. Like others have mentioned in different threads, I have been relatively checked out for a bit. Been watching highlights for most of the part and actually been spending more time reading up on the prospects for the upcoming draft.

I do wish this upcoming UFA class was a better one. We will have cap space but I don't think there is any one I would want to spend $$ on.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Well, being mostly on the 4th line isn't going to get many players a lot of points. 19 isn't great, but it's not terrible and it's the best points total of the Kraken's 4th line this season. I think he's done just fine for a first full season for a guy who wasn't even drafted. He definitely has a future.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Kartye is basically the in house replacement for Tanev.
It's funny you say that, because while I was mulling this over as I wrote that post...one of the things that came to mind was honestly how invisible Kartye has been for most of the season. As much as I've slagged Tanev for the worst points total in his entire career, you would still have those periodic moments where he'd block 3 shots in 4 seconds and then hobble to the bench... or strip a puck on a PK and shoot the puck directly into the goalie's chest. Kartye doesnt seem to have that in his game (yet?)

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm copying this in from a comment of mine on the main boards, because I think it's important to think about this young player issue in relation to where the Kraken go from here.

the better teams usually don't have many players under 24. The Bruins have none. The Lightning have some guy named Lilleberg, the Panthers only Lundell, the Canucks only Hoglander, or maybe you can add Podkolzin if he sticks. The Oilers have Broberg and Holloway which have yet to establish themselves.

Leaving aside team success, and just looking at individual production - have a look at the top 20 scorers in the league, Robert Thomas and Quinn Hughes are 24, everyone else is 25 or older. No one 23 or under.

So yes rookie goal scoring isn't what it used to be, and young player scoring in general isn't what it used to be.

So yes we have to rebuild the team, I get that, but I hope that involves picking up a lot of good mature players and not just young players and rookies. Every team that is going young is getting killed. I think pro scouting is maybe becoming more important than amateur scouting. We should be learning whatever we can from clubs like Florida that have consistently found ready to pop mid-twenties players.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
OK, looking at next season and our current roster I would decide on the following things.

1) Youth movement.

Matty Beniers, Shane Wright and Ryker Evans are with the NHL team fulltime unless one of Wright and/or Evans struggles to a point where going back to the AHL is needed.
You don't have to guarantee Wright top six and Evans top four minutes but give them a chance to earn them.

Ryan Winterton and Logan Morisson will get a chance in training camp to earn a spot. Though, both of them could be a bit up and down between the Kraken and Firebirds.

Those young guys, together with Jared McCann, Vince Dunn and Oliver Bjorkstrand are a solid enough core to build around/with.

2) Defensive core

Talk extension with Larsson.

Larsson will be up next summer but is a very steady defensive RHD.
He will be 32 next summer but he's not really reliant on his skating and should be able to contribute well enough into his mid 30's.

If Larsson doesn't want to extend his contract you've got to be open for business cause he'd be a really big trading chip.

Listen on offers for Oleksiak.

Oleksiak is a solid defender but he's getting up there in age and trading him could open up a spot in the top 4 for Ryker Evans. Of course if he earns it.
I'm also not a big fan of that Oleksiak/Borgen pairing and with Olaksiak probably still having solid value I'd look at that.

Though, there's no pressure to move him.

3) Trade one of Tanev or Gourde.

The Kraken have too many forwards under contract for next season and with both of them going into their last year it would be wise to look and trade at least one of them.

The most likely candidate, to me, would be Tanev given that we have Winterton and Morisson knocking on the door while you can always bring in a bottom six guy in free agency.

I would also be willing to retain some money in order to maximise the return.

4) Free Agency/Cap Space

Like I've said many times I'm not a believer in building throug free agency but I really don't like this years free agent class.

I think it would be wise by Francis to either not do much and keep a good amount of cap space or by using the cap space to take on a contract and get something(pick and or prospect) on top of it.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
OK, looking at next season and our current roster I would decide on the following things.

1) Youth movement.

Matty Beniers, Shane Wright and Ryker Evans are with the NHL team fulltime unless one of Wright and/or Evans struggles to a point where going back to the AHL is needed.
You don't have to guarantee Wright top six and Evans top four minutes but give them a chance to earn them.

Ryan Winterton and Logan Morisson will get a chance in training camp to earn a spot. Though, both of them could be a bit up and down between the Kraken and Firebirds.

Those young guys, together with Jared McCann, Vince Dunn and Oliver Bjorkstrand are a solid enough core to build around/with.

2) Defensive core

Talk extension with Larsson.

Larsson will be up next summer but is a very steady defensive RHD.
He will be 32 next summer but he's not really reliant on his skating and should be able to contribute well enough into his mid 30's.

If Larsson doesn't want to extend his contract you've got to be open for business cause he'd be a really big trading chip.

Listen on offers for Oleksiak.

Oleksiak is a solid defender but he's getting up there in age and trading him could open up a spot in the top 4 for Ryker Evans. Of course if he earns it.
I'm also not a big fan of that Oleksiak/Borgen pairing and with Olaksiak probably still having solid value I'd look at that.

Though, there's no pressure to move him.

3) Trade one of Tanev or Gourde.

The Kraken have too many forwards under contract for next season and with both of them going into their last year it would be wise to look and trade at least one of them.

The most likely candidate, to me, would be Tanev given that we have Winterton and Morisson knocking on the door while you can always bring in a bottom six guy in free agency.

I would also be willing to retain some money in order to maximise the return.

4) Free Agency/Cap Space

Like I've said many times I'm not a believer in building throug free agency but I really don't like this years free agent class.

I think it would be wise by Francis to either not do much and keep a good amount of cap space or by using the cap space to take on a contract and get something(pick and or prospect) on top of it.

All of this is a reasonable way forward imo, and also agree with which vets should be prioritized as the core while the prospects progress through the system.

Building through free agency hasn't really worked since the salary cap era began. Philly still had that mindset until pretty recently and the result was constant mediocrity. Every couple of years there'd be an expensive mistake that just ended up being bought out, and they still won't commit to a rebuild. The Rangers are always buying everyone they can get their hands on, and it hasn't amounted to anything.

I hope Seattle stays away from big splash FA strategy until they're truly ready to contend. Plug a couple of new faces in as needed while the kids make their way up, and do it in a way that doesn't strand the team financially.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think there might be some good FA targets.

I would certainly make a big offer to Guentzel, who would be a huge help to Beniers or Wright or whoever he's playing with. Realistically we will be at the cap regardless, as will almost every team. It's just whether you go for topliners or spend it all on the middle of the lineup types.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think there might be some good FA targets.
I would certainly make a big offer to Guentzel, who would be a huge help to Beniers or Wright or whoever he's playing with. Realistically we will be at the cap regardless, as will almost every team. It's just whether you go for topliners or spend it all on the middle of the lineup types.
Guentzel will undoubtedly improve the team BUT I am fairly certain a team will through 6/7 years at him. Considering he will be 30 when the season starts, I don't think that is the right move.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I’m worried they may have missed the boat on dealing Gourde, I hadn’t realized until just last night that this was his lowest point total with the team and by a decent amount. I think perception around the league was still very high on him, and wonder if his value starts to drop?

Do people think there is a market for Oleksiak? I guess I thought no, given his play the last two seasons and cap hit + M-NTC. I’d move him in a heartbeat if I thought that a realistic option?

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The problem with this free agent class is that none of the players are good enough to shrug off the latter years drop in production to give them the term they'll want, and honestly, in the case of the 3-4 best, probably also deserve. It's like they are better than Burakovsky, so they can probably get 7 years. That's fine for teams that aren't middling like the Kraken. You can take those types of players when you're very bad, or a bubble team with limited time on the bubble.

I actually thought this free agent class was going to be a banger, because of the slow growth of the cap. I thought the bigger names that already signed would hold out until the cap went up, but it didn't go up that much, so they made the smart move. The NHL is in a very difficult spot when it comes to competitive balance due to the salary cap not going up and allowing strapped teams to sign mid tier players and for big names to have a bigger number to get to from teams that aren't strapped. The max salary also needs to go up a bit for that very reason.

tldr? blah blah blah

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m worried they may have missed the boat on dealing Gourde, I hadn’t realized until just last night that this was his lowest point total with the team and by a decent amount. I think perception around the league was still very high on him, and wonder if his value starts to drop?

Do people think there is a market for Oleksiak? I guess I thought no, given his play the last two seasons and cap hit + M-NTC. I’d move him in a heartbeat if I thought that a realistic option?

I think Gourde's value drops now. His age coupled with this season. There aren't many players with those two things that come back. Also, the turtle neck.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Guentzel will undoubtedly improve the team BUT I am fairly certain a team will through 6/7 years at him. Considering he will be 30 when the season starts, I don't think that is the right move.

Yeah, he's too old for me and had too many injuries.

Guentzel will be the guy teams want in free agency and I wouldn't be surprised if some team gave him at least $70M over seven years.

I mean, if you really want a scorer I'd rather give Tyler Toffoli a three year deal or see what Anthony Duclair is asking for instead of handing out that huge deal Guentzel will demand.

Well, Oleksiak is a 6'7 defensemen that can still skate at a solid level.
Those usually get you something especially since a team would get a two playoff runs out of him.
His contract also isn't that bad with the cap going up quite a bit this summer.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Kraken players exit interviews.

The Kraken have really scaled back on their video coverage(if that was ever possible) when it comes to interviews.
Until last season the pre- and postgame interviews were three videos and are now just one that is cut down to mostly less than two minutes.

'And the exit interviews before were for each player while they now just put one video alltogether.

BTW: I've heard Francis will hold his interview on Monday.

Reactions: Fuhrious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad