Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I hope they are already tampering behind scenes for COOPER and Rod
long shot for both but man what a home run hire they would be

Fine with either, but what has Rod done? Not sure he's won a single game in the 3rd round.

Carolina can't get over the hump with him, why do you think the Leafs would?

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Fine with either, but what has Rod done? Not sure he's won a single game in the 3rd round.

Carolina can't get over the hump with him, why do you think the Leafs would?
He's a total culture setter. That's what this team desperately needs more than anything IMO.

just love his character .. been through it all and has won it. been successful coaching last few years now , and a 2nd opportunity would hope to bring even more success after what he learned in Carolina. I think hes staying though

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He's a total culture setter. That's what this team desperately needs more than anything IMO.

just love his character .. been through it all and has won it. been successful coaching last few years now , and a 2nd opportunity would hope to bring even more success after what he learned in Carolina. I think hes staying though

What is successful coaching?

Like I said, I don't think most people look at Carolina as a success.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So the Leafs are total failure then? They are consistently a top team, deep playoff runs. They don’t have the top end talent the Leafs do, or the budget.

They have a better GM according to most, so that should give Rod a better team to work with.

Unless Dubas was a good GM and Keefe just sucks.

Or do we just have playoff chokers and it isn't Keefe's fault now?

Can't keep up with whose fault it is.

Look at his coaching record. You can't just measure by cups. The guy has only been coaching for 5 years lol.

They come up short every year.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I think Sutter was a Murray Edwards special.
Sutter is fine. The issue is that the Leafs have none of "Sutter's players" right now.
The Leafs need a coach who has cupS and a lockroom setter (this is a must if MM is still here next season); So, Rod is out. My choice: Q or Sullivan or Roy or cooper

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Lose tonight, and I hope he is fired tomorrow. For all the talk he came with, he's been completely underwhelming, and that's an understatement.
I would generally agree, but if Pelley has indeed told everyone that he's taking his time to evaluate everything, then I wouldn't be surprised if this summer is a bit of a slow-burn.

If there's any doubt as to what Shanahan's future holds, then I don't think Treliving will get approval to make that move.

There's also the matter of Keefe's new extension kicking in. All signs point to the organization being furious at the lack of success - will they stomach the appetite for wanting to pay another coach not to play for them, so soon after they finally got out of the Babcock deal?

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I would generally agree, but if Pelley has indeed told everyone that he's taking his time to evaluate everything, then I wouldn't be surprised if this summer is a bit of a slow-burn.

If there's any doubt as to what Shanahan's future holds, then I don't think Treliving will get approval to make that move.

There's also the matter of Keefe's new extension kicking in. All signs point to the organization being furious at the lack of success - will they stomach the appetite for wanting to pay another coach not to play for them, so soon after they finally got out of the Babcock deal?

why not? its not like MLSE is hard pressed for money. also, when we fire Keefe, there is a very good chance someone picks him up (my guess: Pittsburgh or Seattle).

we wouldn't have to worry about paying him next year. he has a very good regular season track record, so a very low chance he's unemployed.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I agree. Pelley definitely is a wild card in this all. And if he wants to "put his stamp" on this team by completely overhauling it after the many years of lack of success, then I'm all for it.

The only thing I don't agree with is the Keefe extension. I believe that is of no consequence. It doesn't count against the cap, and the team could easily swallow that money up. It really is no different than when Wilson signed his golden parachute extension, only to be canned shortly thereafter.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I agree. Pelley definitely is a wild card in this all. And if he wants to "put his stamp" on this team by completely overhauling it after the many years of lack of success, then I'm all for it.

The only thing I don't agree with is the Keefe extension. I believe that is of no consequence. It doesn't count against the cap, and the team could easily swallow that money up. It really is no different than when Wilson signed his golden parachute extension, only to be canned shortly thereafter.
It's not a question of whether they can, but whether they want to.

Mirtle has repeatedly discussed just how unhappy the upper execs are at the lack of Leafs success, and has pointed to the sheer amount of money they've thrown at the project with 0 results. It almost sounds to me like the TeleComms, together, are deciding that they no longer want to be moneybags MLSE when it coems to the Leafs, until some actual tangible results are shown.

why not? its not like MLSE is hard pressed for money. also, when we fire Keefe, there is a very good chance someone picks him up (my guess: Pittsburgh or Seattle).
Answered above. Just speculation.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Good lord, this man has aged horribly. This market really does a number on folks, Burke looked like he aged 30 years by the time he was done.

Reactions: The Masters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I think they make upwards of $3M per home playoff date so any improvement at all pays the tab. Just getting to the second round pays Shanny as well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think they make upwards of $3M per home playoff date so any improvement at all pays the tab. Just getting to the second round pays Shanny as well.
I would bet it's a far greater number than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad