Speculation: 2023-2024 Kraken Roster Discussion

dylanmacarthur

RonFrancis dēlenda est
Nov 8, 2013
Dude. They have a solid young goalie, a very good young dman, and even though team scoring is an issue, it’s coming via a pipeline of astute drafting.
You can only work with what you have, and what the Kraken had after the expansion draft wasn’t then and never will be what Vegas had. GMs learned, and thus the fate of the Kraken is going to be based on patience and maybe the odd FA signing. It has to be.
You seem to want a big splash, to put all your chips in with a pair of 4’s. To achieve what? Say Seattle wins two rounds that way. And? They pick in the third round of the next draft?
Sorry, but I’d rather wait and enjoy sustained excellence than go all in six points out of a wild card.

I'd love for the Kraken to actually be patient. What they're doing instead is pursuing mediocrity, resulting in less than optimal draft picks. They should have tanked out the gate and entered the Bedard and Co. sweepstakes, or tried to compete at a top level right out the gate. Francis seems to have tried for a middle ground approach, so now we have a mediocre (ranked 14th or 15th in NHL) prospect pool, and a medicore-bad team on the ice.

It just makes no sense. It's a half in half out strategy. I've been saying this since the expansion draft, and I'm sadly being proven right. I'm amazed anybody is still defending Francis at this point. He's had three years and look where his mismanagement has gotten us. A bad team and a mediocre prospect pool. We should have a great team and a mediocre prospect pool, or a terrible team and an elite prospect pool. There's no way we should've ended in this middle ground where we have no hope of near-term success and no meaningful path to medium-term success.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's had three years and look where his mismanagement has gotten us. A bad team and a mediocre prospect pool. We should have a great team and a mediocre prospect pool, or a terrible team and an elite prospect pool. There's no way we should've ended in this middle ground where we have no hope of near-term success and no meaningful path to medium-term success.
This just seems really oversimplified to me. Given what we had available in the expansion draft, where was this "great" team going to emerge from, a hill of magic beans? Outside of Vegas, instant success has never been open to expansion teams. And who was going to take enough of our middle ground, mediocre players off our hands and give us the high draft choices needed to build an elite prospect pool? You are talking about situations there were never realistically going to happen in the real world. Francis has played the hand he was dealt, and I can't fault him for not being able to do the impossible.

Reactions: Irie

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This just seems really oversimplified to me. Given what we had available in the expansion draft, where was this "great" team going to emerge from, a hill of magic beans? Outside of Vegas, instant success has never been open to expansion teams. And who was going to take enough of our middle ground, mediocre players off our hands and give us the high draft choices needed to build an elite prospect pool? You are talking about situations there were never realistically going to happen in the real world. Francis has played the hand he was dealt, and I can't fault him for not being able to do the impossible.
Every time I have seen folks talk about teams rebuilding from scratch, it has been a 5-6 year plan. It's fine for established teams to suck during that time by hosting a mediocre team and barely trying, but I do not think that is an option for expansion teams in today's age. You have to be competitive enough to keep the fans engaged and excited about games. Most people here may not care about sucking straight out of the gate because we understand that tanking can help us long term, but I believe that was never a realistic option for us. Keeping the fans engaged and pushing for the NBA team was never going to let that happen. Keeping/signing veterans is one way to do that.

I am not letting Francis off the hook because of this either. He has made questionable choices but it will be interesting to see what he does next off-season with Larsson, Tanev and Gourde.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Kraken are calling up Logan Morrison and Ryan Winterton.

I guess those injuries during the Montreal game could force out a forward or two.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Wow you durdle around for a few months, look up and realize the reason is pretty much over and Beniers has a pitiful 28 points.

Didn’t know if he’d hit ~60 again but wasn’t expecting this bad.

Reactions: kihei

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Year over year change:
Team Points: 60 - 100 - 81*
Goals For: 216 - 289 - 217*
Goals Against: 285 - 256 - 241*

*current year EOY pace

As bad as this past month has been, at least it isn't as bad as year 1 still. The last month meltdown can be entirely related to Dunn's injury but after the Vegas loss the heart has not been there. In the end, the offense got cold and made every other team's goalie look good. Our goals project to be on par with the 1st season. Impressively, the goals against continues to improve, even with the awful recent games. Last year the Kraken were shooting 11.6 %, good for 2nd best in the league. This season they are shooting 9.0% and the 5th worst in the league.

Answer that I see from people is "just go get a scorer!". Well every team wants scorers and they just do not hit free agency. As result, do we go take a run for Guentzel, Reinhart or Stamkos this off-season? probably not.

Reactions: kihei

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I guess those injuries during the Montreal game could force out a forward or two.
Which forwards got injured in that game?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

No harm in this. Some NHL experience for them. What's the worst case, we lose?

Wow you durdle around for a few months, look up and realize the reason is pretty much over and Beniers has a pitiful 28 points.

Didn’t know if he’d hit ~60 again but wasn’t expecting this bad.
What the heck happened to Beniers. Is this a typical Sophomore slump with teams scouting him better? Injuries making him more timid? Bad coaching?

Feel likes he's not been the same since that bad concussion last year from Myers.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
No harm in this. Some NHL experience for them. What's the worst case, we lose?

What the heck happened to Beniers. Is this a typical Sophomore slump with teams scouting him better? Injuries making him more timid? Bad coaching?

Feel likes he's not been the same since that bad concussion last year from Myers.

Beniers isn't an elite level offensive player and only has one type of shot which other teams goalies can easily read.
He'll need to work on this and should be able to bounce back.

He's also not the only young guy to have a sophomore slump as a guy like Nathan MacKinnon only had 38 points during his 2nd NHL season.

Also, Beniers actually got concussed during this season again and Hakstol changing lines ever five minutes doesn't help him(or anyone else) get into any kind of rhythm as well.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Beniers isn't an elite level offensive player and only has one type of shot which other teams goalies can easily read.
He'll need to work on this and should be able to bounce back.

He's also not the only young guy to have a sophomore slump as a guy like Nathan MacKinnon only had 38 points during his 2nd NHL season.

Also, Beniers actually got concussed during this season again and Hakstol changing lines ever five minutes doesn't help him(or anyone else) get into any kind of rhythm as well.
Not intended as a slight against Beniers, as much as a comment on MacKinnon likely being on an entirely different level. By all accounts, he's fanatical about working out and skill improvement in the off-season, to the point other players consider it a big deal to be invited to participate in his sessions. I doubt there are many players in the league who have his level of dedication and intenstity.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Answer that I see from people is "just go get a scorer!". Well every team wants scorers and they just do not hit free agency. As result, do we go take a run for Guentzel, Reinhart or Stamkos this off-season? probably not.

I'd absolutely be making big offers for Guentzel.

I'm not sure about Reinhart. And I don't think we have the right context for Stamkos.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Not intended as a slight against Beniers, as much as a comment on MacKinnon likely being on an entirely different level. By all accounts, he's fanatical about working out and skill improvement in the off-season, to the point other players consider it a big deal to be invited to participate in his sessions. I doubt there are many players in the league who have his level of dedication and intenstity.

Everyone knows about MacKinnon's work ethic and I doubt anyone's comparing Beniers offensive talent to his.

The example just shows you that even elite players struggled during their second season and that Beniers can bounce back from this.

Overall Beniers has to work on his overall offense and shot to become more efficient offensively.
A more stable surrounding(we had many injuries and consistant line changes this season) should help as well.

I'd absolutely be making big offers for Guentzel.

I'm not sure about Reinhart. And I don't think we have the right context for Stamkos.

Guentzel will be 30 years old while being a pretty injury prone dude.

I'd say stay the F*** away from him and the insane contract he gets if he does hit free agency.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Everyone knows about MacKinnon's work ethic and I doubt anyone's comparing Beniers offensive talent to his.

The example just shows you that even elite players struggled during their second season and that Beniers can bounce back from this.

Overall Beniers has to work on his overall offense and shot to become more efficient offensively.
A more stable surrounding(we had many injuries and consistant line changes this season) should help as well.

I'd say stay the F*** away from him and the insane contract he gets if he does hit free agency.
Yeah “can” being the operative word. As you say, you’re comparing him to a player renowned for working his ass off. We don’t know if Beniers is even remotely that committed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Matty will get a huge boost when he has elite players to play with. I think he translates well with skill but obviously needs help finishing plays. Should be a 70 pt guy (in today's scoring) if he has a couple elite wingers.

I'm really only concerned with the concussions. Those are very serious setbacks with long term effects.

I think he's super underrated and would throw $50m-60m at him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Year over year change:
Team Points: 60 - 100 - 81*
Goals For: 216 - 289 - 217*
Goals Against: 285 - 256 - 241*

*current year EOY pace

As bad as this past month has been, at least it isn't as bad as year 1 still. The last month meltdown can be entirely related to Dunn's injury but after the Vegas loss the heart has not been there. In the end, the offense got cold and made every other team's goalie look good. Our goals project to be on par with the 1st season. Impressively, the goals against continues to improve, even with the awful recent games. Last year the Kraken were shooting 11.6 %, good for 2nd best in the league. This season they are shooting 9.0% and the 5th worst in the league.

I don't think the need for a scorer is really what plagues this team. They have a lot of good shooters, but they have a giant, gaping hole at the 1C position.

This team needs a strong top line pivot more than anything. Someone that can be a difference maker at even strength and take over games on the PP. If they somehow could fill that position, I think this team would likely score a ton of goals scoring by committee.

A 50 goal scorer would be a great add, but I'm honestly not sure any goal scorers score 50 playing with the centers Seattle currently has on the roster.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another thing Matty has got to do is develop more upper body strength, lower body wouldn't hurt either, for that matter. He seems overmatched on the boards against a lot of the competition. Until he can at least appear to hold his own in the strength department he is going to be a target for opposition defenses,

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah “can” being the operative word. As you say, you’re comparing him to a player renowned for working his ass off. We don’t know if Beniers is even remotely that committed.

Sure, MacKinnon's got a great work ethic but I've never heard anywhere that Beniers doesn't work hard.

I think people just have to adjust their expectations of him when it comes to his offense.
He never was a great or even elite offensive prospect to begin with and that's why I always compared him to someone like Jonathan Toews given his solid 200 feet game.

Also, Hakstol consistantly playing roulette with the offensive lines, not having any kind of top end linemates and all the injuries(he had another concussion and the rest of the team was nowhere near as healthy as they've been last season) didn't help either.

Overall I'm not all that concerned with Beniers cause I think he'll work on his game this summer and should be able to bounce back to a solid level.

Matty will get a huge boost when he has elite players to play with. I think he translates well with skill but obviously needs help finishing plays. Should be a 70 pt guy (in today's scoring) if he has a couple elite wingers.

I'm really only concerned with the concussions. Those are very serious setbacks with long term effects.

I think he's super underrated and would throw $50m-60m at him.

Yeah, he's already had two concussions and that's not good for a guy that young.

As far as Guentzel goes.
I think he'll sign a contract this offseason(if he makes it to free agency) that the team he signs with will regret pretty early on.

Like I've said quite a few times I'm not a fan of going big in free agency and signing those older guys to big contracts cause those usually end up not being good for the team.

BTW: The Kraken have recalled Gustav Olofsson with Evans most likely being out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad