2023-2024 EPL Season

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Honestly don’t even think it’s City here. It’s all these teams that are going to get points deductions because they didn’t think PSR was serious; and now are trying to change the rules. This is like Chelsea/Everton/Forest/Newcastle etc. there’s no way Todd isn’t leading the charge on this

Surprised: nobody.

I don't really care if owners spend their own money, as long as they can't burden the club with massive debt and use the club as collaretal.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Don't know, I heard Gold use the stat and wanted to look it up to see if that was accurate. He didn't attribute where he got the stat, but I assume that's where he got it.

But my eyes tell me the same story, they need the goalkeeper to get 50% better on corners and better man-marking more than anything else.
The other question I would have is how many of the set pieces/penalties/own goals resulted from counter attacks. Which again, is more about about me trying to understand what the data means than a dig at Spurs. And, to your point, better set piece defense would help solve that.

But if a team is giving up a large number of corners/set pieces as a result of counter attacks, set piece defense might not be the only issue.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Honestly don’t even think it’s City here. It’s all these teams that are going to get points deductions because they didn’t think PSR was serious; and now are trying to change the rules. This is like Chelsea/Everton/Forest/Newcastle etc. there’s no way Todd isn’t leading the charge on this
Well, City face 115 infractions. Infractions that would lead them to lose 1150 points if the standard is respected. Pretty sure they would be happy to cut a check instead.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, City face 115 infractions. Infractions that would lead them to lose 1150 points if the standard is respected. Pretty sure they would be happy to cut a check instead.
Sure, but I Don’t think they are driving this.

I think my thoughts on City cheating is pretty clear so no need to repeat myself on that

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
A luxury tax system might be able to work if you had "normal" billionaire owners and not teams backed by Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So Everton and Forest will be having their points restored and just get a fine applied instead then? Right?

This bullshit sounds like Boehly.

"Best" league in the world keeps finding ways of making the sport worse

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Will there be enough clubs to vote for it? That's the million dollar question.

I could see FSG go either way. They run it on a budget, but being able to avoid any potential problems if there was a major hit could be a decision.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Jacob Ramsey out for the rest of season. I know the U-21 Euros mean a lot for players, but he’s been a non-factor since getting injured in those Euros. Very frustrating from a villa POV

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
yeah but, Palmer is more midfield player what winger forward, or has he recently played
more matches on the wing?

Salah is a forward/winger forward
There's been plenty of midfielders/wingers that have scored as many goals (and without half of their goals being penalties). Just from Arsenal in the PL:

- Saka had 14 last year (2 penalties) and 13 so far this year (4 penalties)
- Martinelli had 15 last year (no pens)
- Odegaard had 15 last year (no pens)

Cole Palmer has 16 this year (8 penalties). Not trying to take away from his good play this year, but half of his goals are penalties. His hat trick yesterday consisted of 2 penalties and a deflection. He's a good player, but people are acting like he's already a world class player based on an inflated stat sheet.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I honestly believe a hard cap on wages should be the rule. Make it around 70% of all EPL clubs total revenues from previous season ÷ 19

This would favor smaller clubs significantly.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I honestly believe a hard cap on wages should be the rule. Make it around 70% of all EPL clubs total revenues from previous season ÷ 19

This would favor smaller clubs significantly.
Something like that would never work because it would prevent the top clubs from competing with top clubs from other countries.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Something like that would never work because it would prevent the top clubs from competing with top clubs from other countries.
I know, I know but it is a very fair system for smaller sides, more so than no restriction at all.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It would also make small sides go bankrupt in a heartbeat since 70% of average turnover is more than they can support given how much the top teams would pull up the average.
They have to be lower not forced to match 70%. They give them more leeway to invest and improve their team. You could even add that teams loses + debt have to be at a maximum amount so that prevent to go bankrupt. A team like Everton or Newcastle would not be punished if they want to compete with the big boys and invest money into their team. It also limit to huge discrepancy between the top 6 and the rest of the EPL. I know it will never be accepted by the top 6 but it could work if all european leagues accepted similar rules. At the end of the day the top 6 would still generate absurd amounts of profit as that would essentially cut their current wage bill in half, so their owner would still rack significant profits over time and have huge monetary incentive to adopt these rules.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
There's been plenty of midfielders/wingers that have scored as many goals (and without half of their goals being penalties). Just from Arsenal in the PL:

- Saka had 14 last year (2 penalties) and 13 so far this year (4 penalties)
- Martinelli had 15 last year (no pens)
- Odegaard had 15 last year (no pens)

Cole Palmer has 16 this year (8 penalties). Not trying to take away from his good play this year, but half of his goals are penalties. His hat trick yesterday consisted of 2 penalties and a deflection. He's a good player, but people are acting like he's already a world class player based on an inflated stat sheet.
And this is why a focus on goal contributions is never gonna be super helpful. If you watch Chelsea, Palmer is so much more than the goals and the assists (as most top level attacking midfielders are). He's creating like mad and the offense is fully running through him. He's leaving defenders in his wake and he's clearly thinking the game mad high. And his "inflated" stat sheet still includes 8+8 in non-penalty contributions, and (IIRC) none of the assists came from set pieces. I would've been overjoyed 8+8 preseason, and here we are!

I should just add as an aside also that Odegaard and Martinelli's records last season were on xG overperformances of world historic proportions. This season we are seeing a Martinelli with normal finishing and look at the results!

Anyway, Palmer is easily the most dynamic player we've had since Hazard. He's obviously not at that level, but we haven't had a player who can turn a game on its head since Hazard, and there are few players who can flip a game out of nowhere like Cole has shown himself able to. The hat trick was two penalties and a deflection, but this was not Nico's hattie against Spurs. You watch Chelsea, you see that there's an electricity there. Even when Mount was popping double digit goals and assists, he didn't have the ~it~ factor that Palmer clearly has.

Also, I should add that the focus on "he scores penalties" becomes less compelling as he continues to be unstoppable from the spot. 8/8 is a very very impressive record. Most top penalty takers would've missed one by now.

Would I say he's world-class? No, not yet. But keep playing like this and he definitely is.

Reactions: Blender

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
And this is why a focus on goal contributions is never gonna be super helpful. If you watch Chelsea, Palmer is so much more than the goals and the assists (as most top level attacking midfielders are). He's creating like mad and the offense is fully running through him. He's leaving defenders in his wake and he's clearly thinking the game mad high. And his "inflated" stat sheet still includes 8+8 in non-penalty contributions, and (IIRC) none of the assists came from set pieces. I would've been overjoyed 8+8 preseason, and here we are!

I should just add as an aside also that Odegaard and Martinelli's records last season were on xG overperformances of world historic proportions. This season we are seeing a Martinelli with normal finishing and look at the results!

Anyway, Palmer is easily the most dynamic player we've had since Hazard. He's obviously not at that level, but we haven't had a player who can turn a game on its head since Hazard, and there are few players who can flip a game out of nowhere like Cole has shown himself able to. The hat trick was two penalties and a deflection, but this was not Nico's hattie against Spurs. You watch Chelsea, you see that there's an electricity there. Even when Mount was popping double digit goals and assists, he didn't have the ~it~ factor that Palmer clearly has.

Also, I should add that the focus on "he scores penalties" becomes less compelling as he continues to be unstoppable from the spot. 8/8 is a very very impressive record. Most top penalty takers would've missed one by now.

Would I say he's world-class? No, not yet. But keep playing like this and he definitely is.
I'm not trying to hate on Palmer. He's been very good. I don't watch Chelsea every week, but he's been excellent when I've watched.

I just think a lot of people (in general, not the main Chelsea guys here) have been acting like he's already a top player in the league and they use the G+A stats as their only basis.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'm not trying to hate on Palmer. He's been very good. I don't watch Chelsea every week, but he's been excellent when I've watched.

I just think a lot of people (in general, not the main Chelsea guys here) have been acting like he's already a top player in the league and they use the G+A stats as their only basis.
Yeah I think you and I are on the same page with regard to goal contributions not being be all and end all.

Reactions: Chimaera and KJS14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad