Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Coyotes Prospect General Discussion and Stats Weekly Update

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
No surprise here, Matikka with his 4th Rookie of the week this season.

I think we are overlooking just how good this kid could be. We essentially took two shots on Lutz and this is the one whose development curve went correctly and even went better than we predicted.

I saw DU live. This kid is no joke. The entire team is gigantic and has skill up and down. He fit that system like a glove. It looked very similar to what we are building. He wasn't always the best on the ice but he could always create opportunity and more importantly you got burned if you left him unattended. There's more Rantanen to his game than his draft profile suggested. He does float a bit, which hopefully he can work on. But he's big enough that if he were to play on a 3rd line it would create match-up headaches night in and night out. Has Nichushkin vibes.

Seeing how good the NCAA is for player development makes me want to take more kids who are ready to come over to it from Europe in later rounds.
Real shame it didn't work out for Duda because he could have been turning heads too.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I would've been invested in his WHL playoff run if it was still HIS team aka Wenatchee. Now that he's a rental I would rather see him in Tucson.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hypothetically speaking, if Geekies team gets eliminated early, could he play in Tucson for the playoffs?
Can they sign him to an AHL deal given he already has a NHL contract which could/would kick in? Issue is we only have 2 contract slots left. One should be slated for Lipkin.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Can they sign him to an AHL deal given he already has a NHL contract which could/would kick in? Issue is we only have 2 contract slots left. One should be slated for Lipkin.
Geekie is already under contract - he is using a contract slot already. I don't believe playing games when his junior season is over has any bearing on the contract sliding. Mouser can confirm. :)

Edit: I do remember someone signing an ATO/PTO at the end of their season but I don't recall who it was, maybe a college player?

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Geekie is already under contract - he is using a contract slot already. I don't believe playing games when his junior season is over has any bearing on the contract sliding. Mouser can confirm. :)

Edit: I do remember someone signing an ATO/PTO at the end of their season but I don't recall who it was, maybe a college player?
I thought his contract skid because he was sent back to junior? I know it did last year.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
I thought his contract skid because he was sent back to junior? I know it did last year.
The contract did slide - as long as his junior season is over he can play in Tuscon without burning a year.

You have raised an interesting question though. If he does play in Tuscon does his contract status change to active? Does he then occupy that contract slot? I would suggest he would.

Moving on from Sanford appears to be a wise decision with the additional flexibility its added,

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Must say we've got a lot of kids that are having very successful seasons...just to name a few that have really over achieved:

Justin Kipkie - looks like a steal of a draft pick
Miko Matikka - still on 3rd line, 2nd PP unit, but the kid has shown flashes of brilliance
Tanner Ludtke - much better in the NCAA than I expected, the kid is doing really well

Also wanted to note that Duda got his 1st goal of the season, so kudos to the kid for what he's put up with this season, can't wait to see him in a Roadrunner jersey next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad