2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Don’t look now, but Jake Neighbours is leading the team in goals. And he’s got a shot to hit 30.

Can’t lie, I did not have this on my Blues 2024 bingo board.
Early on it seemed like he was kind of the beneficiary of some good luck, but as the season goes on he’s generating more and more chances for himself and continues to park his ass in front of the net. He’s going to be a 20-30 goal guy for a long time if he can avoid the injuries that sometimes come from playing that style of game. His shooting percentage is too high, he’s not likely to replicate that, but he’s going to produce because he gets so many chances right in front of the net. Hofer/Binnington, Neighbours, and the 1st half of the year from Robert Thomas are the big bright spots of an otherwise forgettable year.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Early on it seemed like he was kind of the beneficiary of some good luck, but as the season goes on he’s generating more and more chances for himself and continues to park his ass in front of the net. He’s going to be a 20-30 goal guy for a long time if he can avoid the injuries that sometimes come from playing that style of game. His shooting percentage is too high, he’s not likely to replicate that, but he’s going to produce because he gets so many chances right in front of the net. Hofer/Binnington, Neighbours, and the 1st half of the year from Robert Thomas are the big bright spots of an otherwise forgettable year.

The thing that impresses me the most is that Neighbours almost never gets penalties while playing the style he's playing. He's playing a Brenden Morrow-like game - physicality in forechecking, backchecking, parking in front of the net - and he's drawing more penalties than he takes. That's really smart hockey and impressive.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The thing that impresses me the most is that Neighbours almost never gets penalties while playing the style he's playing. He's playing a Brenden Morrow-like game - physicality in forechecking, backchecking, parking in front of the net - and he's drawing more penalties than he takes. That's really smart hockey and impressive.
that is exact comp army used when we drafted him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Now if he can balance his offensive play to include some assists, that would be great. I can be greedy right?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Matt Kessel!

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
So how does Armstrong even go about trying to fix this mess? Can't help but wonder how the team would have performed this year without Krug enacting his NTC and if the rumors regarding Sanheim were true.

-I can't see the Blues buying Krug out and paying him 14M over the next 6 years to not play here.
-Justin Faulk seems to have regressed terribly this season based on the eye test alone.
-Was not impressed with anything Kevin Hayes did all season and would have much rather had preferred O'Reilly for 4 years at a slightly higher AAV
-If you can't get Buchnevich signed to a reasonable extension, you have to move him this summer
-Would be totally fine with dangling Jordan Kyrou before the NTC kicks in as skilled as he is

Armstrong certainly has his work cut out for him. It's crazy to think how much deeper this team was in 2018/2019 when it hoisted its first Stanley Cup. Only 6 players still with the team.

Playoff roster by GP:
1 Ryan O'Reilly
2 Jaden Schwartz
3 Alex Pietrangelo
4 Vladimir Tarasenko
5 David Perron
6 Tyler Bozak

7 Brayden Schenn
8 Colton Parayko
9 Pat Maroon
10 Jay Bouwmeester
11 Alexander Steen

12 Jordan Binnington
13 Oskar Sundqvist
14 Ivan Barbashev
15 Joel Edmundson

16 Robert Thomas
17 Vince Dunn
18 Carl Gunnarsson
19 Robert Bortuzzo

20 Sammy Blais
21 Robby Fabbri
22 Zach Sanford

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
So how does Armstrong even go about trying to fix this mess? Can't help but wonder how the team would have performed this year without Krug enacting his NTC and if the rumors regarding Sanheim were true.

-I can't see the Blues buying Krug out and paying him 14M over the next 6 years to not play here.
-Justin Faulk seems to have regressed terribly this season based on the eye test alone.
-Was not impressed with anything Kevin Hayes did all season and would have much rather had preferred O'Reilly for 4 years at a slightly higher AAV
-If you can't get Buchnevich signed to a reasonable extension, you have to move him this summer
-Would be totally fine with dangling Jordan Kyrou before the NTC kicks in as skilled as he is

Armstrong certainly has his work cut out for him. It's crazy to think how much deeper this team was in 2018/2019 when it hoisted its first Stanley Cup. Only 6 players still with the team.

Yeah, it makes no sense buying out Krug at this point in the retool. I mean, I expect Army will try to move him like he did last season, but there's no reason to buy him out if that doesn't work out. It's not like we're competing anyway. I do think that if we can't find a way to move Krug we might explore options to trade Perunovich as it doesn't make sense to keep both. I'm wondering if the Islanders might could be interested in Krug as they had some problems at LD earlier this season. I wouldn't mind swapping Krug for a guy like Anders Lee, although both will have to waive their NTC. Lee has a slightly higher caphit, but one year less on his contract. Lee, like Krug, is overpayed but I think he could play a part on our 3rd line (although I don't think he will waive his NTC for us).

Faulk doesn't have a lot of value ATM and, again as we're not competing yet, we might aswell play him next season to give him the chance to regain some value. We don't have a replacement lining up for him anyway (I'd rather play Kessel on the 3rd pairing next season).

Agree on Buchnevich and Kyrou. However, I wouldn't just trade Kyrou for a package of future's: If we move him I'd want a young rosterplayer coming back who can immediatly contribute, in the vein of the Mittelstadt - Byram trade. I don't think the Kings would bite, but I wouldn't mind something around a player like Brandt Clarke for example.

I wouldn't immediatly move guys like Saad, Hayes, Leddy or even Faulk as we still need vets to fill rosterspots during the retool, however if a team that really likes one of them is ready to overpay for some reason, a move is possible. However, I'm not trading, for example, Saad for just a random 3rd round pick. I expect all 4 of them to be a part of next years team.

For next offseason, I wouldn't use a lot of assets to improve the team as we're too far away yet from our next window of opportinity. I'd try to pick up some vets at FA on short term contracts who serve as stopgaps untill some of the younger guys are ready to take over. Maybe we can convince Perron for a last hurrah at a team friendly caphit to fill the 2nd line RW spot untill Snuggerud is ready? I also wouldn't mind picking up two bottom 6 forwards like Lafferty or Martinook if we can get them cheap enough on short term deals so we can start Bolduc and Dean next season in the AHL and we don't have to rush Sundqvist.

And finally I'd like to enquire for some change of scenery guys like Kaliyev, Broberg. If they're cheap enough (3rd?) or if we can trade for one of them using some of our own broken toys like Perunovich or Alexandrov.

Reactions: Blueston

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I know that the most dangerous place to find yourself in is if you have yourself locked into a long impossibly stupid imbecile contract but you empowered the player to block you fixing the problem. That would be a true disaster and cannot happen, even risking whatever negative outcomes might occur from simply not having that player on the roster.

Ultimately that is the most important thing a GM has to preserve. He can't put himself in a position where a terrible terrible terrible little shitty player holds up the franchise because of the power you have given him. That is the worst situation and thank goodness our legendary GM knows that and is a straight shooter about it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If Binnington had the same save percentage this year as he did last year, he would've allowed 28 more goals on the year. Where would this team be in that scenario? I think we'd be right around the Sens/Coyotes/Habs territory. 11-6 in games that went to OT also, which is always a bit of a crapshoot, especially for teams without truly elite talent. I think this year went about as well(or poorly, I guess depending on how you look at it) as it could have. I would not be surprised at all to see the Blues near the bottom of the conference next year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's been said before, it all depends on what our goaltending is moving forward. If Binnington and Hofer continue their form, then relatively easy and small upgrades to the roster will yield be rewards. If they don't maintain their level of play, then we are getting another top 10 potentially top 5 pick.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
LOL did anyone even watch that game yesterday. I will continue watching 6-1 blowout games all the way to the end and I watch just about every single game, but there was no way in hell I was going to make time yesterday when I had plenty of time to watch this game. Aggressively did not watch it and glad. I was driving up through switchbacking redwoods to my house when I saw on the score app they lost in OT. There are guys on the roster I like but overall this version of the team is one of my least favorites ever.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Playoff roster by GP:
1 Ryan O'Reilly
2 Jaden Schwartz
3 Alex Pietrangelo
4 Vladimir Tarasenko
5 David Perron
6 Tyler Bozak

7 Brayden Schenn
8 Colton Parayko
9 Pat Maroon
10 Jay Bouwmeester
11 Alexander Steen

12 Jordan Binnington
13 Oskar Sundqvist
14 Ivan Barbashev
15 Joel Edmundson

16 Robert Thomas
17 Vince Dunn
18 Carl Gunnarsson
19 Robert Bortuzzo

20 Sammy Blais
21 Robby Fabbri
22 Zach Sanford

I think winning is irrelevant until more of our current prospects are on the team, maybe 2026? That leaves 2 more years and Krug loses his full NTC in 2026 making it easier to ditch him. I don't see any of the moves made as actually stopping us atm from bettering the team unless you think players like Lindbohm and Hannifin preferring other cities has something to do with Krug we just have to face facts that a small market team is a not typically a sought after destination.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
LOL did anyone even watch that game yesterday. I will continue watching 6-1 blowout games all the way to the end and I watch just about every single game, but there was no way in hell I was going to make time yesterday when I had plenty of time to watch this game. Aggressively did not watch it and glad. I was driving up through switchbacking redwoods to my house when I saw on the score app they lost in OT. There are guys on the roster I like but overall this version of the team is one of my least favorites ever.
last years was worse but yes, very unlikeable bunch once again.

krug and kyrou are the key cogs in these trainwreck teams, whenever they are on the ice disaster is soon to follow

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The way things look right now, I think next season may be a more down year than this year was before the tempo of the "rebuild" goes back up. But maybe Armstrong will do some wizardry trades we don't see coming.

The Blues were one multi-week Binnington injury from being a bottom feeder. Maybe next season they aren't able to maximize results quite as much.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The way things look right now, I think next season may be a more down year than this year was before the tempo of the "rebuild" goes back up. But maybe Armstrong will do some wizardry trades we don't see coming.

The Blues were one multi-week Binnington injury from being a bottom feeder. Maybe next season they aren't able to maximize results quite as much.
if krug was sent to PHI last season, they probably make the playoffs. If Faulk was not as horrendous, likely the same. same could be said if Kyrou produced at a 8 million dollar rate and Thomas had a better march and april. those are the biggest 4 reasons this team will be on the golf course watching again. I'd also throw in Buch underperforming this year.

hayes has been fine for the money we are paying him and saad has had a good year overall. The goaltending has been more than good. Sunny was good. Parayko and Leddy were solid. Neighbors hopefully took a next step and will keep getting better.

Rest of the team is just MEH which is what a team that will be picking 15th or 16th is.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

It depends on the off-season. We have cap space this off-season. So it really depends on how we use it and what we do with Buchnevich. If we trade Buchnevich and turn our cap space into picks by taking on bad contracts, we will be worse. If we pick up short term deals on guys like Monahan and Skjei, we will be better. Its far too early to say either way.

Neighbours - Thomas -Buchnevich
Schenn - Monahan - Kyrou
Bolduc - Hayes - Saad
Torop - Dean - Sunny

Leddy - Parayko
Skjei - Faulk
Krug - Kessel

Binnington
Hofer

That should be a playoff team. It still isn't a contender, but it would be better than this year on underlying metrics if not results.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

It's not like we had a scrub backup, if Hofer maintained his level of play in those few weeks, we'd be in roughly the same spot. In years when we had a shitty backup, that was something that tanked us, but both of our goalies well out performed our defense.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It's not like we had a scrub backup, if Hofer maintained his level of play in those few weeks, we'd be in roughly the same spot. In years when we had a shitty backup, that was something that tanked us, but both of our goalies well out performed our defense.
I wouldn't count on Hofer carrying the whole load and keeping up that level of play, although he could. I think he benefited a lot from Binnington's play and share of the load. Hofer was definitely a bright spot this season, and a reason for optimism for the future at that position.

But if Binnington had gone down, I think Hofer would have gotten chewed up a bit by the weight of the starts.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wouldn't count on Hofer carrying the whole load and keeping up that level of play, although he could. I think he benefited a lot from Binnington's play and share of the load. Hofer was definitely a bright spot this season, and a reason for optimism for the future at that position.

But if Binnington had gone down, I think Hofer would have gotten chewed up a bit by the weight of the starts.
Depends, is it a 2-3 week injury or does Binnington blow out his ACL. I do agree that if our goaltending takes even a slight step back, either Binnington or Hofer as the backup, we are picking top 10 this season and next. The team overall still sucks.

Dec 15, 2002
Maybe this team makes the playoffs if Krug goes to PHI for Sanheim. For all anyone knows, Sanheim would have come in and been a 3D with a 7-24-31 type season that didn't move the needle and we're still out of the playoffs, but on the hook for however many more years of Sanheim's contract and he's replaced Colton Parayko as the poster child for there's a lot of potential there, maybe one day he'll unlock it.

Speaking of: Sanheim after that 4-21-25, -7 start through 34 games that had everyone lamenting what he could have been here, has been 6-12-18, -15 in the last 43 games. Slightly better post-ASG, not a difference maker in the last 9 as the Flyers have dropped like a rock out of playoff contention. In short: after that early season blitz, he's tailed off to what he's always been.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Maybe this team makes the playoffs if Krug goes to PHI for Sanheim. For all anyone knows, Sanheim would have come in and been a 3D with a 7-24-31 type season that didn't move the needle and we're still out of the playoffs, but on the hook for however many more years of Sanheim's contract and he's replaced Colton Parayko as the poster child for there's a lot of potential there, maybe one day he'll unlock it.

Speaking of: Sanheim after that 4-21-25, -7 start through 34 games that had everyone lamenting what he could have been here, has been 6-12-18, -15 in the last 43 games. Slightly better post-ASG, not a difference maker in the last 9 as the Flyers have dropped like a rock out of playoff contention. In short: after that early season blitz, he's tailed off to what he's always been.

But how would he fair if he was paired with Parayko and how would Faulk do paired with Leddy? Would the addition and subtraction of Sanheim/Krug be a net positive for us or would it just kind of even itself out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad