2023-2024 Blues Multi-Purpose Thread

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
2.3M left in cap space

Who else do we bring in?

Sunny is unsigned.

Toropchenko still has the be signed.

If there's enough left Sundqvist wouldn't surprise me. Also wouldn't mind if we keep a little bit of room towards the cap in case there's an interesting waiver pickup at the start of the season.

Reactions: mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
2.3M left in cap space

Who else do we bring in?

Sunny is unsigned.

You add hofer to roster and sign toro and that basically takes up all of it. Any extra is for call ups/injuries. If we sign someone else they gonna be close to minimum salary.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, it's very possible we make a move, but also just as possible that this is the team we are entering the season with.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t even care if we’re not that good again but my main disappointment is how boring this team is going to be. It’s basically the same team as last season, and they weren’t fun to watch at all.

The only thing that could really salvage it is if we see all the young guys make major contributions, so that’s what I’m hoping for. I’d love for Dean to make a strong push for the roster and make a guy like Kapanen expendable quickly.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t even care if we’re not that good again but my main disappointment is how boring this team is going to be. It’s basically the same team as last season, and they weren’t fun to watch at all.

The only thing that could really salvage it is if we see all the young guys make major contributions, so that’s what I’m hoping for. I’d love for Dean to make a strong push for the roster and make a guy like Kapanen expendable quickly.
Yeah, I mean when the one of the most anticipated things for the new season, is seeing the new defensive system from the new assistant coach, then you know the type of year that is coming. It'll be exciting stat watching the prospects though.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Losing sucks but as you said, it will be interesting to see what the young guys can do. This is the first time in a long time we're going into a season with low expectations and fewer veterans to take ice time away from younger players. I'm not expecting Dean or Bolduc to break through this year (although that would be great) but I am very curious to see what Perunovich, Alexandrov, Tucker, Hofer and Neighbours can do with bigger roles. Jake looked pretty good at the end of last year after finally getting healthy and I think he will take a big step forward this season.

It might not be a great season in the win column, but if Thomas and Kyrou can find another gear and a few of these kids establish themselves as legit NHL players then we will be set up nicely for the next season with our next wave of youngsters coming up.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Blues need to make extending Buch a top priority. What’s it going to take? 7 yrs 56 mill?

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Blues need to make extending Buch a top priority. What’s it going to take? 7 yrs 56 mill?

He still has 2 years left on his current deal. I'd understand it if Army waits untill next year just to see how much the cap will rise before opening negotiations.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
So, just wondered how our current roster set-up could be for this season. Opened up Elite Prospects and these are the players we have under contract for next season.

PS. don't look at the lines... just made something up.

Blues (25 men, 2 will have to be moved)
Saad - Thomas - Kyrou
Vrana - Schenn - Buchnevich
Neighbours - Hayes - Kapanen
Blais - Alexandrov - Toropchenko(*)
Extra forwards: MacEachern - Walker

Leddy - Faulk
Scandella - Parayko
Krug - Tucker
Extra Defensemen: Bortuzzo - Perunovich - Rosén

Binnington | Hofer

We have 5 extra players (after signing Toropchenko), so 2 players need to be moved (Krug?) or waived. Alternatively Alexandrov and Perunovich don't need to go trought waivers and can potentially start in Springfield if we don't want to take the risk of losing players due to waivers. A trade or injury could change everything though.

Springfield
Bolduc - Dean - Bitten
McGing(*) - Gaudette - Peca
Washkurak - Abramov - Laferriere
Dickinson - Heim
No Extra Forwards yet

Lööf - Kessel
Malmström - Skinner
Kalynuk - Jacobs
Gaudet
No Extra Defensemen yet

Zherenko | Subban
Extra goalie: Ellis

With every other player we have left (except Cranley) we have exactly a full roster for Springfield if they run 11 forwards and 7 defensemen. Still players could still be added from the Blues (potentially one or more of Walker, MacEachern, Alexandrov, Rosén, Perunovich) barring moves or injuries. Springfield hasn't announced any AHL-signings yet (wouldn't be surprised if they'll try to extend Tommy Cross). McGing still needs to be signed.

Tulsa?
Cranley

(*) still needs to be signed

Reactions: Mike Liut

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So, just wondered how our current roster set-up could be for this season. Opened up Elite Prospects and these are the players we have under contract for next season.

PS. don't look at the lines... just made something up.

Blues (25 men, 2 will have to be moved)
Saad - Thomas - Kyrou
Vrana - Schenn - Buchnevich
Neighbours - Hayes - Kapanen
Blais - Alexandrov - Toropchenko(*)
Extra forwards: MacEachern - Walker

Leddy - Faulk
Scandella - Parayko
Krug - Tucker
Extra Defensemen: Bortuzzo - Perunovich - Rosén

Binnington | Hofer

We have 5 extra players (after signing Toropchenko), so 2 players need to be moved (Krug?) or waived. Alternatively Alexandrov and Perunovich don't need to go trought waivers and can potentially start in Springfield if we don't want to take the risk of losing players due to waivers. A trade or injury could change everything though.

Springfield
Bolduc - Dean - Bitten
McGing(*) - Gaudette - Peca
Washkurak - Abramov - Laferriere
Dickinson - Heim
No Extra Forwards yet

Lööf - Kessel
Malmström - Skinner
Kalynuk - Jacobs
Gaudet
No Extra Defensemen yet

Zherenko | Subban
Extra goalie: Ellis

With every other player we have left (except Cranley) we have exactly a full roster for Springfield if they run 11 forwards and 7 defensemen. Still players could still be added from the Blues (potentially one or more of Walker, MacEachern, Alexandrov, Rosén, Perunovich) barring moves or injuries. Springfield hasn't announced any AHL-signings yet (wouldn't be surprised if they'll try to extend Tommy Cross). McGing still needs to be signed.

Tulsa?
Cranley

(*) still needs to be signed

Where is Buchinger playing this year?

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
With us using all 3 picks, and a couple exciting prospects already in the pipeline. I think we should just embrace a longer re-tool and do things right. We honestly need one more season of lackluster play netting us another top 10 pick so we can take a run at a franchise Dman in next years draft. We also need to sell off Vets not only on expiring contracts(Vrana and Kappy) but also vets that hold positive value that could net us additional high picks (example Saad). If we play for the 25-26' turnaround and push this re-tool back an additonal year or two, i think it will give us a way better chance at building a legitimate cup contending core for a possible decade long window. Also, this plan lets some of these albatross D contracts expire on their own without having to move assets. Would love to be picking three times again in next year's 1st round with one of those being a top 10 pick.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
With us using all 3 picks, and a couple exciting prospects already in the pipeline. I think we should just embrace a longer re-tool and do things right. We honestly need one more season of lackluster play netting us another top 10 pick so we can take a run at a franchise Dman in next years draft. We also need to sell off Vets not only on expiring contracts(Vrana and Kappy) but also vets that hold positive value that could net us additional high picks (example Saad). If we play for the 25-26' turnaround and push this re-tool back an additonal year or two, i think it will give us a way better chance at building a legitimate cup contending core for a possible decade long window. Also, this plan lets some of these albatross D contracts expire on their own without having to move assets. Would love to be picking three times again in next year's 1st round with one of those being a top 10 pick.
Just remember, just because a way is "right" for one team doesn't mean it is "right" for another.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I’ve been advocating for the same thing. One more year of suck and then we’ll make our run.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If Vrana has a great year, do we move him for a 1st at the TDL, or try to extend him?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think either Vrana or Kap have one foot out the door in Army's view. Both will be 28 prior to 24/25, so I could see them wanting to maximize their contract value, but if the season goes well for them, I could also see them valuing being in a good spot, in a place that gave them another chance.

If Vrana does well, it could be tough to make his cap hit work, but I imagine his league wide value wouldn't be sky high, even with a good season, so maybe the contract wouldn't be that bad. While they are completely different players, Vrana's hot start with us should be viewed like Chris Stewart's hot start, lets see what he does over a longer stretch.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
What is everyone's opinion of Parayko? Do you think he still has it in him to be a good defensemen and rebound or are his days behind him? I personally think that he still has a couple years left of good play but he is being set up to fail with his usage and the rest of the Dcore around him

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
What is everyone's opinion of Parayko? Do you think he still has it in him to be a good defensemen and rebound or are his days behind him? I personally think that he still has a couple years left of good play but he is being set up to fail with his usage and the rest of the Dcore around him
I mean he is a good defenseman. Just a good Defenseman who's getting royally f***ed by the construction of the rest of his D-group. Give Krug-Faulk his Defensive assignments let's see how good they do and give Leddy-Parayko Krug-Faulk's assignments.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
If Vrana has a great year, do we move him for a 1st at the TDL, or try to extend him?

Move him. I am not against an all top 12 prospects of the Blues forward group - Schenn/Thomas/Kyrou/Buch TBH.

Are there any good Dmen available next year?

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Move him. I am not against an all top 12 prospects of the Blues forward group - Schenn/Thomas/Kyrou/Buch TBH.

Are there any good Dmen available next year?
In free agency? Toews and Hanafin. There are a few good defenseman in the draft as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad