2023-2024 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Does the AUS or CW get a 3rd berth at the UCup this year?
Yes, but I don't know which one. Actually, this year and next.

Edit: I was just looking at a 49 Sports CIS hockey prediction (which I commented on) and started thinking as to when CW had a 3rd team. Since the 8 team format started in 2015, CW has had a 3rd team Once, in 2019 - Lethbridge. Every other year it's been 3-2-3, AUS-CW-OUA.

Last edited:

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Yes, but I don't know which one. Actually, this year and next.

Edit: I was just looking at a 49 Sports CIS hockey prediction (which I commented on) and started thinking as to when CW had a 3rd team. Since the 8 team format started in 2015, CW has had a 3rd team Once, in 2019 - Lethbridge. Every other year it's been 3-2-3, AUS-CW-OUA.

1695918564921.png

Reactions: Rob

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

According to the 22/23 bulletin, with OUA hosting it's OUA-4, CW-2 and AUS-2. Unless 23/24 indicates a change to that policy. AUS 23/24 men's regs aren't posted yet but I won't be expecting info about a 3rd berth game as that only seems to be in play when an AUS school is set to host
I don't know for a fact, but I'm Certain that the OUA Will NOT get 4 teams.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Am I the only one who preferred the 6 team tournament ?
Nope. Same here. I dread sending my team out west, with all the costs and logistics involved, only to have a bad period and lose a game and have to fly them back.

Quick and easy way to spend 50k$. At least with the old 6 team format, each team was guaranteed 2 games...

Reactions: dm8895

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nope. Same here. I dread sending my team out west, with all the costs and logistics involved, only to have a bad period and lose a game and have to fly them back.

Quick and easy way to spend 50k$. At least with the old 6 team format, each team was guaranteed 2 games...
Look at the Frozen Four, Teams are 1 and done with a loss.
Same as the UCup now, but with half the teams, instead of 8.
Under the old 6 team format, Alberta won a National title, after losing to you guys in game 1 in 2008. Maybe the only team to do so....?
I also prefer the old 6 team format, as I find 8 teams a bit much and tough to find facilities with that many dressing rooms.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Look at the Frozen Four, Teams are 1 and done with a loss.
Same as the UCup now, but with half the teams, instead of 8.
Under the old 6 team format, Alberta won a National title, after losing to you guys in game 1 in 2008. Maybe the only team to do so....?
I also prefer the old 6 team format, as I find 8 teams a bit much and tough to find facilities with that many dressing rooms.

The NCAA system is tough.

If you win your conference championship then you go to a Regional where you may play a team you've never seen before in a place far away.

4 Regionals, 4 teams in each Regional. 1 Semi, sudden death,

Most of the teams are good with no "wild cards". 1 Final sudden death.

4 winners off to the Frozen Four. 1 Semi, sudden death, 1 Final for National Champion.

I've watched quite a few Regionals and Frozen Fours and there aren't many lopsided scores.

Several sudden death OT games.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Anyone here want to explain to me how the old Regionals worked? Ive had a few people talk to me about the 83-84 series with U of T but that game was played a decade before I was born. I went to my first UNB game in my mothers stomach but that was a little before my time ;)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Anyone here want to explain to me how the old Regionals worked? Ive had a few people talk to me about the 83-84 series with U of T but that game was played a decade before I was born. I went to my first UNB game in my mothers stomach but that was a little before my time ;)
I hope someone can find an old link.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From Drummer's website:

WWW.VREDSHOCKEY.COM - History - 1984

CIAU Eastern Regional Finals​

The 1984 CIAU finals would include 4 teams; the host University of Quebec - Trois Riveriere Patriots (Les Patriotes), CWUAA representative - Alberta Golden Bears, QUAA Representative - Concordia Stingers and the Eastern Regional Champion. The Eastern Regional Champion would be decided by a best of three series between the AUAA Champion (UNB) and Ontario Champion (UoT) at the AUAA Champion's home arena.

The U of T Varsity Blues (36-5-2) had been the CIAU #1 team all year and were the favorites going into the series. They had two first team all-stars and two second team all-stars. Fans were hoping that the polls were over rating UofT like they did Moncton and that the Ontario league was weaker then the AUAA.

Toronto was coached by Mike Keenan, who had coached the Rochester Americans to an AHL Calder Cup Championship the previous year.

Reactions: timbitca and dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
From Drummer's website:

WWW.VREDSHOCKEY.COM - History - 1984

CIAU Eastern Regional Finals​

The 1984 CIAU finals would include 4 teams; the host University of Quebec - Trois Riveriere Patriots (Les Patriotes), CWUAA representative - Alberta Golden Bears, QUAA Representative - Concordia Stingers and the Eastern Regional Champion. The Eastern Regional Champion would be decided by a best of three series between the AUAA Champion (UNB) and Ontario Champion (UoT) at the AUAA Champion's home arena.

The U of T Varsity Blues (36-5-2) had been the CIAU #1 team all year and were the favorites going into the series. They had two first team all-stars and two second team all-stars. Fans were hoping that the polls were over rating UofT like they did Moncton and that the Ontario league was weaker then the AUAA.

Toronto was coached by Mike Keenan, who had coached the Rochester Americans to an AHL Calder Cup Championship the previous year.
Just read the full article. Well done.

Reactions: Campy

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I obviously realized how many new guys PEI had but I don’t think it hit me until I looked at the box score from tonight and thought “who TF are these people”

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Watched UPEI-DAL this afternoon (3-2 OT) and am "impressed" with UPEI. They have good speed. both on forecheck and backcheck. They work hard and don't give up a lot of chances. They're a lot like last years team without the skill guys. They have 2 good goalies which certainly helps.

It's only one game so I'm not picking them to win the Nationals yet. They're a young team which is good inasmuch as they can be molded into whatever Forbie wants, but they will face a learning curve in the AUS.

Of note, Kerwin played at ACA the other night and this afternoon. We won't see him in a game until the 2nd half.

Reactions: dm8895

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Watched UPEI-DAL this afternoon (3-2 OT) and am "impressed" with UPEI. They have good speed. both on forecheck and backcheck. They work hard and don't give up a lot of chances. They're a lot like last years team without the skill guys. They have 2 good goalies which certainly helps.

It's only one game so I'm not picking them to win the Nationals yet. They're a young team which is good inasmuch as they can be molded into whatever Forbie wants, but they will face a learning curve in the AUS.

Of note, Kerwin played at ACA the other night and this afternoon. We won't see him in a game until the 2nd half.
I had them picked to snag the last playoff spot, they are young but they are very well coached and every year challenge for the title of “Hardest working team”.

Anyone watch the X-SMU game?

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020

I was there in 2019 with Queen's. Travelled all day Monday, was there all week only to lose Friday night after jumping up 3-0. Spent Saturday at an AirBnB that a player's family rented then spent St Patricks Day in Calgary (which I don't remember it was that fun)

Reactions: timbitca and Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was there as well. Flew up from New Orleans.

Terrible attendance. Nice rink. The final was a decent game.

AUS with a Gold and Bronze.

Reactions: timbitca

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The gleaner basically cut the sports department . We used to have such great coverage of local sports
I had a digital subscription for years…the only physical copy I would buy each year was for the AUS preview…but I finally canceled my subscription last year after noticing how far the quality and quantity of the local sports coverage had fallen off.

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad