2023-2024 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
In other news, ACA assistant coach Mark Richards son, James, has signed with the Winkler Flyers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Anyone got any way to early predictions for this year?
1. UNB
2. StFx
3. Acadia
4. SMU
5. Udem
6.UPEI
7. Dalhousie
I feel safe with UNB at 1, 2-5 I think is a total crapshoot and I expect Dal and UPEI to be fighting for the last playoff spot .

Like I said way to early since a lot can change between now and game 1 and we don’t know for sure who is going to be where .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Anyone got any way to early predictions for this year?
1. UNB
2. StFx
3. Acadia
4. SMU
5. Udem
6.UPEI
7. Dalhousie
I feel safe with UNB at 1, 2-5 I think is a total crapshoot and I expect Dal and UPEI to be fighting for the last playoff spot .

Like I said way to early since a lot can change between now and game 1 and we don’t know for sure who is going to be where .
Wow. With all the new guys I expect UPEI to finish 10th at best.

If, as rumored, DAL gets Gentille (Oct) and Kerwin (Dec) back they will be a better team.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
On an unrelated note - Rusty and Jerome (aka John Bishop and Rusty) have been "fired" as announcers at SMU. John has been there 47 years doing football, hockey and B-ball. No reason given.

• Wow
Reactions: timbitca

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wow. With all the new guys I expect UPEI to finish 10th at best.

If, as rumored, DAL gets Gentille (Oct) and Kerwin (Dec) back they will be a better team.
UPEI will certainly be a work in progress. Almost like an expansion team with so many recruits. Teams can gel (UNB had a ton of rookie forwards last season and it worked out fine for them), so it will be interesting to watch their progress, especially if they embrace that forecheck that Forbie introduced for Nationals..

X often looked listless last season. The coaching changes there might give them new energy to deliver on their protentional. But my gut tells me that it will be SMU that pushes UNB again this season. We'll see I guess.

I foresee Acadia and UdeM to be similar this upcoming season. Hard to know how much impact their recruits will make.

I agree that Gentille and Kerwin would make Dal a much better team and could be the difference to make the playoffs.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI will certainly be a work in progress. Almost like an expansion team with so many recruits. Teams can gel (UNB had a ton of rookie forwards last season and it worked out fine for them), so it will be interesting to watch their progress, especially if they embrace that forecheck that Forbie introduced for Nationals..

X often looked listless last season. The coaching changes there might give them new energy to deliver on their protentional. But my gut tells me that it will be SMU that pushes UNB again this season. We'll see I guess.

I foresee Acadia and UdeM to be similar this upcoming season. Hard to know how much impact their recruits will make.

I agree that Gentille and Kerwin would make Dal a much better team and could be the difference to make the playoffs.
But the UNB rookie forwards were all 100 point guys in the CHL. Pinard is gone to the AHL. UPEI doesn't have those guys.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Any rule changes being implemented this season?

I've asked Gardiner, but no answer yet.

The challenge is if the AUS adopts the new Jr. A rules from Hockey Canada, what do you do when you play in other conferences or at UCup and they don't?

Some of the Jr. A rules of interest
- puck out of play in the defending end results in a face-off in the defending end regardless of who touched it last.​
- attacking team can choose face-off dot for first face-off after a Penalty AND icing​
- linesman 'present' the puck 2ft above the dot (instead of at their waist).​
- coincidental penalties (with no other penalized players at the time) results in 4-on-4. So, only when the game is 5-on-5 and coincidental penalties are called will it go to 4-on-4.​

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've asked Gardiner, but no answer yet.

The challenge is if the AUS adopts the new Jr. A rules from Hockey Canada, what do you do when you play in other conferences or at UCup and they don't?

Some of the Jr. A rules of interest
- puck out of play in the defending end results in a face-off in the defending end regardless of who touched it last.​
- attacking team can choose face-off dot for first face-off after a Penalty AND icing​
- linesman 'present' the puck 2ft above the dot (instead of at their waist).​
- coincidental penalties (with no other penalized players at the time) results in 4-on-4. So, only when the game is 5-on-5 and coincidental penalties are called will it go to 4-on-4.​
NCAA uses the face off dot rule. They also have a rule that if a goal is scored on a delayed penalty, the penalty is still enforced.

They also do a much better job on disputed goals and questionable hits. I realize we can't do that in CIS because we don't have the camera coverage, which is too bad.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Sept 15 UNB vs UPEI exhibition no longer appearing on the schedule...anyone hear about a cancellation?

UPEI vs UdeM in Lameque NB now showing on Panthers schedule Sept 16

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Wonder if the impending hurricane has anything to do with it?

Also…thinking ahead…but if UNB drops that game it would leave them with four exhibition games. Might be easier to get someone over Christmas now with two games available rather than one….maybe that’s the reason?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Wonder if the impending hurricane has anything to do with it?

Also…thinking ahead…but if UNB drops that game it would leave them with four exhibition games. Might be easier to get someone over Christmas now with two games available rather than one….maybe that’s the reason?
The storm could be the reason. It's not "scheduled" until Sat night but there will be wind proceeding it. I don't think it's kosher to cancel a game to enhance your schedule over Christmas. The game against UdeM is almost a 5 hr drive from UPEI. I suppose if the storm does arrive they will be fairly well north.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not many new faces for either Moncton or St. FX tonight. No Hawel or Cyr…not sure if they are away at rookie camps? X appear to have only added the three already-named defencemen.

Last edited:

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Sorry once a year I complain about these 2, I realize they are volunteers but the French pronunciations are something else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad