2023-2024 AUS Thread

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Anyone got any way to early predictions for this year?
1. UNB
2. StFx
3. Acadia
4. SMU
5. Udem
6.UPEI
7. Dalhousie
I feel safe with UNB at 1, 2-5 I think is a total crapshoot and I expect Dal and UPEI to be fighting for the last playoff spot .

Like I said way to early since a lot can change between now and game 1 and we don’t know for sure who is going to be where .
Well as we inch closer anyone have any predictions ? Or are we still too early .
It’s been dead around here lately lol

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
ACA with a 7-1 win at DAL tonight. Decent game for 40 minutes then ACA took over. DAL has a lot of young guys and it showed tonight. Several lazy penalties. I thought ACA rookies looked pretty good, but it's only exhibition.
Couture was solid and made a few big saves. The Maritime line of Kidney, Peach and Burns had a lot of buzz in the DAL zone. Desroches was paired with Zazula and didn't look out of place.

No one really stood out for DAL.
Gentile will play on Sept 30 for DAL while Kerwin can't play until the 2nd half. Perhaps a good indicator of DAL will be when they play QUE Saturday after the Gaels play ACA Thurs night.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
All four USPORTS Men’s Hockey conferences have adopted Jr. A rules for the upcoming season.

BTW - the Ops Manual hasn’t been updated and released, so - I would check it before quoting me. It was a long call with the RIC on Tuesday – hard to remember it all.

They are
  • Linesman will now ‘present the puck’ for face-offs
  • Puck out-of-play, when shot from inside an end-zone – the face-off will remain in that end-zone regardless of who shot/touched the puck.
  • If the puck is shot out-of-play by the defending team but off an object (boards/glass) they can not receive a line-change.
  • A player’s skate, hovering ‘over’ the ice, can be used to determine if they are on-side for off-sides. The blueline is now a vertical plane.
  • Choice of face-off dots for Icings and Penalties is allowed with 1 warning for Icings instead of a face-off ejection (linesman stands-up and points one finger in the air to identify the warning). I believe we had this - just confirmed as national wide now.
  • The referees have a new penalty option for Boarding - 4min where the injury is minimal (eg. cut lip or cut cheekbone from a visor).
  • The referees have a new penalty option for High Stick of a 4+10 where the injury is minimal (eg. cut lip or cut cheekbone from a visor).
  • Note - No change for Checking from Behind
  • Coincidental penalties where teams were 5-on-5 will result in play being 4-on-4. This only applies if teams are 5-on-5, any other strength of teams will result in no change to the number of players on the ice.
Some interesting changes
  • If the defending team accidently knocks the net off the posts – they lose the right to a line change. This event is considered an unnecessary Delay of Game.
  • An icing that ends-up going to the goalie, and the goaltender covers it for a stoppage of play rather than passing it to a teammate will result in that team losing the right to a line change.
  • If a mix of penalties occurs to each team in the last 5min of the game or anytime in overtime where one of the penalties is a Major – only the remaining/offset time is to be served (as a Major). For example – in the last 5min of a game - a 5min penalty to Team A and 2min penalty to Team B. Team A substitute will serve 3min Major Penalty.

Reactions: Rob and dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw the 4-on-4 penalalties the other night and the linesman doing face-offs.

The abbeviated penalty thingy - not sure I understand that. A 2 and a 5 becomes a 2 and a 3?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No, just a 3 minute PP….two minutes each cancel out.

It’s a way to skip two minutes of even strength play and go straight to a power play when there is limited time left. For example….if a 5 and 2 is given out with a minute left, the old rule meant the team with the minor wouldn’t see a PP before time expires…now they will.

Overall, I like the changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drummer and AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Got home an hour ago from the valley.
QUE 5 ACA 2.

A better game to watch than the DAL game. Both teams were quite physical which I liked.
ACA led 2-1 after 1 but were a bit sloppy in the 2nd and QUE scored 3 and added an EN late in the 3rd.
Peters got the start for ACA. Whynot played for ACA. The Maritime kids were a line again and had their moments.

Overall, QUE looked pretty decent, finishing checks and creating offense. One thing I noticed with QUE was their inability to pick up a pass. Several good passes bounced off their sticks and negated possible chances.

I was chatting with a few of the regular Debbie Downers who were moaning about ACA play. I tried my best to explain the game to them, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Anyway, a fun game to watch and nice to see a non AUS team in town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob and FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw QUE-DAL game today, 4-2 win for the Gaels..

I expected QUE to roll over them, but DAL ran with them.
There could be lots of reasons for this - QUE guys were golfing yesterday and may have had a few pops last night, or whatever.
Good pace, lots of hits, lots of scrums and penalties. Reffing could have been better.

The players did the handshake line but the coaches didn't shake hands. The DAL staff just walked off the bench to the room. I don't know if this was pre planned; I can't think it was.
I was entertained, which was the whole purpose of me being there.

Of note for DAL, Gentile dressed and is wearing the "C".
I thought he had another week to sit.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So apparently the stream had no sound.
Ottawa really came out strong. I’m sure coach Grandmaitre (former X player) had them ready. Reds really came alive after they scored 4 on 4. I think the new coincidental minors rule is going to benefit them this season. Thought they might run away with it but the missed some quality chances then got into penalty trouble.

The Gees Gees home rink (Minto Sports Complex) really makes me appreciate the rinks in the AUS. Didn’t even have on the seats.

Got to talk with some of the player’s relatives which is always nice.

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

There are 2 videos (#18 and #25) which show the dressing room and the recovery rooms at UND. Very imprssive and worth a look.

[NEW]2023-24 NCAA Division I Hockey Thread​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad