2023-2024 AUS Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looks like everyone has picked X but I am still going with Moncton in five. Maybe X should win on paper but I find they are very inconsistent. They didn't impress me against Acadia either.
I also don't think it was a fluke that Les Aigles finished 2nd overall.

As for SMU v UNB, I will go with the safe money and pick the Reds in three. If the Huskies have any chance to win the series they must win game one. Might put some panic in the Reds after the perfect season. Last years they had some success with the physical play. Theede's gone now though.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looks like everyone has picked X but I am still going with Moncton in five. Maybe X should win on paper but I find they are very inconsistent. They didn't impress me against Acadia either.

As for SMU v UNB, I will go with the safe money and pick the Reds in three. If the Huskies have any chance to win the series they must win game one. Might put some panic in the Reds after the perfect season. Last years they had some success with the physical play. Theede's gone now though.
SFX impressed me Sat night. They were the "better" team during most of the OT. ACA stayed in the game thru guts, grit and great goaltending. I saw Couture makes several saves that I normally see on Sports Center.
I'm not throwing anyone under the bus, but I can't help wondering that if Rippon, Mainofli or Zazula were healthy would they have taken a hooking penalty with 2;30 left in the game, up by a goal.

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023

This. My thoughts exactly.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not convinced that X has completely shaken off their inconsistency; but they do look good now. So much depends on Raaymakers. Still waiting for him to return to "normal" and have an average instead of stellar game. Maybe he's beyond that now? On paper X should win, but I think the longer the series goes the more it favours Moncton.

SMU took that one game off UNB last playoffs through punishing play and knocking players out of the game. UNB's powerplay is much more effective than last year, and has been costing teams that take penalties. If it wasn't for the streak, I would say SMU wins one game in the series, but the Reds are so invested in their winning streak now I don't see them relaxing one bit. And has been mentioned, Theede has taken his talents to pro lacrosse now.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't think SMU is as physical as last year without Theede.
Boyd, Higgins and Van Loon can make hits but not like Theede.
Bellamy can throw down if need be (just ask Blagden).
At the end of the day UNB should prevail because they have a very good team. SMU will have to get exceptional goaltending and some timely scoring and stay out of the box. They can't get into a track meet because they'll lose. They need to play a UPEI style game with a hard forecheck with no turnovers.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well that was definitely a playoff game. I think 25 shots might be the lowest total for UNB all season. SMU did a great job of not giving UNB much time on the puck. The Reds hardly had any sustained pressure in the Huskies zone 5 on 5. They certainly weren't on their game tonight.
Lets see if the Huskies can push them again in game 2.

Wish the X - Moncton series started on a different date so I could catch a game. Looked like a tight one. I see this going five.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB played better tonight but it was still a close game. It was tied until late in the second period. This series is not over yet.

Outhouse got the start over Richard. Some think Richard may have pulled something last night. We will find out Tuesday for sure. Coach Mac has been rotating them all season.

Helvig has been solid for the Huskies but that fourth Reds goal was a bad one. Will be interesting to see if they go with Walsh for game 3.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
UNB played better tonight but it was still a close game. It was tied until late in the second period. This series is not over yet.

Outhouse got the start over Richard. Some think Richard may have pulled something last night. We will find out Tuesday for sure. Coach Mac has been rotating them all season.

Helvig has been solid for the Huskies but that fourth Reds goal was a bad one. Will be interesting to see if they go with Walsh for game 3.
Richard got hurt in the third period last night . Trainer was on the ice and Outhouse was getting ready to come in. Pretty clear he’s hurt and was still in pain when the game ended, spent most of the third on his knees …. Tanner wouldn’t have dressed. Sure you might rotate but you aren’t dressing your third stringer for a playoff game just for fun , not to sound like a dick lol

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
After two close games at the AUC, UNB with an easy win over SMU. The Reds getting that three goal lead took the wind out of the Huskies sail. Helvig getting chased. Outhouse with back to back wins.

I picked Moncton to win the series but I didn't think it would be a sweep. X has to be disappointed with their playoff performance. Barely beating Acadia and then getting swept on home ice.

Is the AUS final starting on Monday for sure? With both series being sweeps it could start earlier.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
After two close games at the AUC, UNB with an easy win over SMU. The Reds getting that three goal lead took the wind out of the Huskies sail. Helvig getting chased. Outhouse with back to back wins.

I picked Moncton to win the series but I didn't think it would be a sweep. X has to be disappointed with their playoff performance. Barely beating Acadia and then getting swept on home ice.

Is the AUS final starting on Monday for sure? With both series being sweeps it could start earlier.
I like Monday, shrinks up the long layoff before Nationals.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I expect Mon-Wed-Fri. I think that has been the schedule more often than not.

However, last year it was Sun-Tues-Thurs. I wouldn’t mind that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Not bad actually. Still a few out but it could be/and was a lot worse.

Mika played last night so that helps. Unless something pops up we haven't lost anyone in the semi's, so that's good.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Not bad actually. Still a few out but it could be/and was a lot worse.

Mika played last night so that helps. Unless something pops up we haven't lost anyone in the semi's, so that's good.

Any talk about Moncton possible hosting the UCup in the near future? The Avenir Centre is an excellent venue. I know they just missed out on the Memorial Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad