2023-2024 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Some MASSIVE hockey news buried in the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast with
@FriedgeHNIC
&
@JeffMarek
EF- "The CHL & the NCAA are talking very seriously about if you are eligible to go to school in the United States after your CHL career is done, you can go play for an NCAA Team" "This Merger is going to happen at some point"#NCAA #CHL #QMJHL #WHL #OHL

This is going to kill the quality of our product.
I'm not sure if it will kill the CIS.
How many players are "good enough" to play NCAA?
Will the CHL fork over 25K per year to go to a US school?

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I'm not sure if it will kill the CIS.
How many players are "good enough" to play NCAA?
I’d also much rather go to UofT , Alberta , McGill etc than attend some small school to put “NCAA hockey player” on my resume , when we think NCAA hockey we often go right to elite programs BC , BU , Penn State, ASU , etc but when you look who makes up DIV 1 college hockey we see a ton of smaller schools as well (as well as some prestigious institutions), only so many guys can go to these top schools if education is the priority outside of guys going to the elite programs the best Canadian schools have a carrot to dangle of getting an education from a top notch institution that I’m sure some players will still bite. Worst case I see us going back to the late 90’s and losing these 100 point guys from the CHL and having a handful of Jr.A guys kicking around.

Last edited:
Reactions: timbitca

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
@FriedgeHNIC
&
@JeffMarek
EF- "The CHL & the NCAA are talking very seriously about if you are eligible to go to school in the United States after your CHL career is done, you can go play for an NCAA Team" "This Merger is going to happen at some point"#NCAA #CHL #QMJHL #WHL #OHL

It makes sense for the NCAA to do this. But yes, there would be a negative impact on USports Hockey.

Good point. The tuition for US schools is steeper.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
@FriedgeHNIC
&
@JeffMarek

No, it's not.

First, IF it happens, it's going to kill the Jr. A leagues. Canada has far too many Junior leagues / teams as it is, and the Jr. A leagues' main selling feature is the allure of NCAA elgibility. Most Jr A leagues are pay-to-play now, and they sell parents on the illusion that spending $10k / year will give their kid a chance at an NCAA ride. It's the entire business model of the Winnipeg Freeze, and where the BCHL was heading. Once that illusion is gone, dozens of Jr A teams will fold, which will only make the Jr A leagues better.

Second, what will likely happen is Jr. A teams will compete to become affiliates with CHL teams. Those that do will thrive.

Third, most CHL grads who carry on to USports do so because they recognize that their NHL aspirations are over. Despite the NCAA's sales pitch about the "Full Ride", for most Canadians it is still more costly to play at an NCAA Div. 1 than to play at a USports school with a CHL package, especially when you factor in athletic and academic scholarships.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Moncton at St. FX scheduled for Wednesday at 4PM.

This means Moncton plays 3 in 4 to end the season. I wonder if the league considered flipping the Moncton at UPEI game on Friday and the UPEI at UNB game on Saturday? Probably easier said then done though…

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box

This means Moncton plays 3 in 4 to end the season. I wonder if the league considered flipping the Moncton at UPEI game on Friday and the UPEI at UNB game on Saturday? Probably easier said then done though…

Pretty sure the 2 week layoff before the playoffs starting had a lot to do with the coaches accepting that. Can't see them agreeing to 3-in-4 to finish off the season and then playing a playoff game 4 days later.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
I’d also much rather go to UofT , Alberta , McGill etc than attend some small school to put “NCAA hockey player” on my resume , when we think NCAA hockey we often go right to elite programs BC , BU , Penn State, ASU , etc but when you look who makes up DIV 1 college hockey we see a ton of smaller schools as well (as well as some prestigious institutions), only so many guys can go to these top schools if education is the priority outside of guys going to the elite programs the best Canadian schools have a carrot to dangle of getting an education from a top notch institution that I’m sure some players will still bite. Worst case I see us going back to the late 90’s and losing these 100 point guys from the CHL and having a handful of Jr.A guys kicking around.

Top Div I hockey teams only have full 18 scholarships. Lower Div I leagues (e.g., Atlantic Hockey) have fewer. Ivy League teams have none. It's not a cash cow for most Div I schools.

The question is: which CHL overagers would choose NCAA? If you're a top prospect, you will sign an ELC and choose the AHL/ECHL route because then you're under contract and the NHL organization you play with controls your development. The NCAA will not be stealing players from the AHL or ECHL.

The one thing to worry about is if some top Div I programs (e.g., BU, BC, Minnesota, Wisconsin) market themselves to a few CHL overagers as an alternative to the ECHL. Here's why I don't think that's a big threat: NCAA coaches want their players for 4 years. They track and report graduation rates, and they need a core of players who do graduate to compensate for their top NHL prospects who leave (e..g, Eichel). When you're competing with the ECHL you're competing for players who are likely to leave in a year or two. I just don't see that becoming an MO for most NCAA programs.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

Aitken Centre is not available Friday night as UNB women have a scheduled game
UPEI rink is not available Saturday night, UPEI women have a scheduled game

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
NCAA "full rides" are only guaranteed for one year. If you don't perform to the coach's satisfaction, no scholarship for Year 2 - so try to fund that $50K tuition yourself. That's why you see Canadians transferring back to USports now after a year in the NCAA.

Meanwhile, the CHL scholarships are guaranteed for four years (if you played four years of Major Junior) at the local (provincial) tuition rate. So if you play CHL, and then go the NCAA route (if it was made possible) you would max out at less than $10K per year in your education package from the CHL.

The CHL could also turn around and change the rules that your education package can only be used in Canada.

I agree with the thought that Junior A would be most affected. If your raison d'etre is to prepare kids for the NCAA, but they can go the Major Junior route and still make the NCAA, what elite player would still play Junior A? I agree that Junior A survival would probably depend on being affiliated with Major Junior teams, as their farm teams.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
The talk is that you’d have 12 months (1 season) to decide if you want to stay in major junior or NCAA - I see little impact on USports

Reactions: dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With a 7-0 win at UdeM, UNB magic number is 1.

With the win at ACA, UPEI moves 1 point ahead of SFX with the X-Men at home to UdeM Wed.
ACA will remain at #6.

3,4 and 5 spots are all in play.
SMU are 2 points up on SFX but the X-Men have a game in hand (Wed). SFX play at SMU Fri and are home to ACA on Sat to close out the season while SMU finishes at DAL.
UPEI is home to UdeM and at UNB.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
SFX is tied with SMU and UPEI 1 point behind both. UPEI has a tougher schedule with UdeM and UNB.

Big game Fri with SMU-SFX. A SMU win will give them 3rd.

Yes - SMU has the Tie-Breaker (which sites at 3-1 already in head-2-head).

So - a SMU win on Friday means they are 3rd.
- They win on Saturday and are sole 3rd (with 33pts) as ACD is either 29, 30, or 31.
or
- Lose to DAL and SFX wins over ACD and they tie at 31 and SMU is 3rd on tie-breaker.
- Lose to DAL and SFX gets 1pt OTL from ACD and SMU is sole 3rd as ACD has 30pts
So, no matter the outcome on Saturday, a SMU win on Friday means they are 3rd.

A SFX win on Friday doesn't guarantee 3rd spot, but they have a chance
- win on Saturday over ACD and they are 3rd with 33pts, as SMU is either 29, 30 or 31
- lose on Saturday to ACD and SMU wins, they are tied at 31 and SMUs in on Tie-Breaker
or
- lose on Saturday to ACD in OT (32pts) then they are 3rd regardless of SMU's result.
So, SFX needs 3-4pts out of 4 to advance.

I just don't see SMU losing to DAL regardless of what happens on Friday night.

Reactions: Rob

dale1919

Dec 14, 2022
hey AUS Fan
just following up on the debate regarding Coach MacDougall's season and career record.
489 wins has him lapping the field!
what a career thus far!
i know all the old f**ts are trying to find out the exact number...seems CW keeps track of rolls of tape and skate laces!
What Gardiner has done thus far for USPORTS and UNB is going to be unmatched!
throw in a MEM CUP with a months notice!
UNB is lucky too have someone so dedicated to the sport and their institution!
there is only one Clare Drake in my opinion and now there only one Gardiner MacDougall !! HE has put himself right up there to HOF standards. it will be unmatched in my opinion!!
Amazing to watch really!
the fact that his VReds roll like they do year after year is really something to stand up and salute!
Congratulations Coach!
wow!!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yes - SMU has the Tie-Breaker (which sites at 3-1 already in head-2-head).

So - a SMU win on Friday means they are 3rd.
- They win on Saturday and are sole 3rd (with 33pts) as ACD is either 29, 30, or 31.
or
- Lose to DAL and SFX wins over ACD and they tie at 31 and SMU is 3rd on tie-breaker.
- Lose to DAL and SFX gets 1pt OTL from ACD and SMU is sole 3rd as ACD has 30pts
So, no matter the outcome on Saturday, a SMU win on Friday means they are 3rd.

A SFX win on Friday doesn't guarantee 3rd spot, but they have a chance
- win on Saturday over ACD and they are 3rd with 33pts, as SMU is either 29, 30 or 31
- lose on Saturday to ACD and SMU wins, they are tied at 31 and SMUs in on Tie-Breaker
or
- lose on Saturday to ACD in OT (32pts) then they are 3rd regardless of SMU's result.
So, SFX needs 3-4pts out of 4 to advance.

I just don't see SMU losing to DAL regardless of what happens on Friday night.
I could have done all that but I don't wnat to spoonfeed people. And, SMU is quite capable of losing to DAL despite having won all 4 games this year.

Reactions: Drummer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
hey AUS Fan
just following up on the debate regarding Coach MacDougall's season and career record.
489 wins has him lapping the field!
what a career thus far!
i know all the old f**ts are trying to find out the exact number...seems CW keeps track of rolls of tape and skate laces!
What Gardiner has done thus far for USPORTS and UNB is going to be unmatched!
throw in a MEM CUP with a months notice!
UNB is lucky too have someone so dedicated to the sport and their institution!
there is only one Clare Drake in my opinion and now there only one Gardiner MacDougall !! HE has put himself right up there to HOF standards. it will be unmatched in my opinion!!
Amazing to watch really!
the fact that his VReds roll like they do year after year is really something to stand up and salute!
Congratulations Coach!
wow!!
Fully agree with you. But I recall a coach at UofS who set a pretty high bar for Gards to meet.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SFX with the win over SMU puts them in 3rd place with SMU #4 and UPEI 1 back of SMU.

A couple of scenarios for Sat games - SMU wins and SFX loses in regulation and SMU is #3, SFX #4, UPEI #5. Without a SFX loss, SMU is #4.

SMU loses in regulation and UPEI wins - UPEI is #4 and SMU drops to #5. But, the biggest news will be UPEI stopping the 30-0 record for UNB.

Reactions: Rob and timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
None of my scenarios played out. The DAL-SMU game was pretty good until late in the 3rd. Peyton with a dangerous head shot on Van Loon. A couple of 10s given out to SMU plus Peyton Game Misconduct.
Both goalies were solid. Forbes gave up a bad 2nd goal and SMU got the EN.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Regular season is over. Punditry now for All-Star Team. My picks:

AUS 1st Team All-Stars
F - Austen Keating, Matt Struthers, Brady Gilmour
D - Adam McCormick, Kale McCallum
G - Griffen Outhouse

AUS 2nd Team
F - Liam Hawal, Jeremy Lapointe, Jason Willms
D - Kade Landry, Jacob Dion
G - Sam Richard

All-Rookie Team
F - Jeremy Lapointe, Sean McGurn, Declan McDonnell
D - Charlie Callaghan, Raegan Wiles
G - Olivier Adam

Rookie of the Year - Jeremy Lapointe
Defenceman of the Year - Adam McCormick
Goalie of the Year - Griffen Outhouse
MVP - Austen Keating
Coach of the Year - Gardiner MacDougall

Wounded Warriors Team (impact players who missed significant time).
F- Brady Burns, Mika Cyr, Emmett Sproule
D - Justin MacPherson, Sam McGinley
G - Zachary Paputsakis (not sure on this one ...)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Raaymakers was great again last night, and the StFX powerplay seems to finally have found its groove the last few games. They could do some damage in the playoffs.
I agree. I was all on board with wanting to avoid SMU in the semi-finals, but now I am kind of glad X got the 3rd spot. I think they have played UNB the toughest of any team this season.

However, I don't think I will be surprised if any of the four teams win their quarter-final series.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Keating is the easy pick for MVP since he led in points… however Taylor Hall has a Hart Trophy because the award is for the player most valuable to his team and with all of the fire power UNB has you could definitely argue Struthers is more valuable to his team. I think he’d get my vote

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad