Prospect Info: [2023 - 128th] Quentin Miller (QMJHL - Rimouski Océanic)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I know it's wrong to argue based on outliers, but this is the Havs board, Price is their most successful pick of the 21st century, and thus the bias will run deep.

It was also a pick that was close to universally hated when they made it around here. I get that people want to like what they want to like.....it just doesn't belong in evidence based discussions. I have no issue at all with a fan saying that they want "x" goaltender in the first round as that is just something that will make them happy and who am I to tell them otherwise. My issue is when they ignore a mountain of evidence to try and tell me that not only do they want something illogical to happen but it is actually the correct decision and I am without any basis for objection.

I am a stickler for the facts and I keep any emotional biases in check as I would rather acknowledge that the truth is counter to my bias and concede than to be on the record sharing bias driven narratives that I know not to be true.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It was also a pick that was close to universally hated when they made it around here. I get that people want to like what they want to like.....it just doesn't belong in evidence based discussions. I have no issue at all with a fan saying that they want "x" goaltender in the first round as that is just something that will make them happy and who am I to tell them otherwise. My issue is when they ignore a mountain of evidence to try and tell me that not only do they want something illogical to happen but it is actually the correct decision and I am without any basis for objection.

I am a stickler for the facts and I keep any emotional biases in check as I would rather acknowledge that the truth is counter to my bias and concede than to be on the record sharing bias driven narratives that I know not to be true.

I think what you're articulating here is the consensus among pros. There are now very few goalies drafted in the first round. I'm not sure how long it's been that way.

I too am happy with how the Habs' managed the draft. It's too early to tell but right now it looks great.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Even then, there is a very good chance that there will be a skater or even many skaters who end up being a better selections in hindsight

This is true of a lot of first overall picks regardless of position though lol.

I don't disagree with the general sentiment tho tbf, but seeing the boardroomization of sports hurts my heart. I'll always respect the "just take who you like and trust your people to make it work" more than crunching data and trying to suck the emotion out of sport.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

The draft is like backgammon, not chess. There is enough randomness that it is difficult to figure out who has insight and who is just guessing. The Price pick really worked out, but generally taking a goalie early is a bad idea.

Great scouting is not normally enough to determine who will be the best player 5 years on. There are generational guys where it is fairly certain, but that is rare. Maybe the habs identified Price as generational, maybe they guessed. There is usually more data for forwards because scoring often translates. You have to hope the teams have more in depth scouting, but I'm pretty sure the bad teams don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad