WJC: 2022 Team Russia roster talk

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Still hard to predict roster and lines but it looks like we'll have a pretty damn good team. All lines are going to have great kids. Khusnutdinov, Chibrikov, Michkov, Yurov, Ponomarev, Miroshnichenko on offense. Mukhamadullin, Kirsanov, Chaika, Koromyslov, probably Gulyaev on defense. Askarov, Guskov in the nets.

Hope, Larionov is going to figure it out.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
For the forwards maybe something like this:

Khusnutdinov - Ponomoyarev - Gushchin
Miroshnichenko - Svechkov - Yurov
Chibrikov - Ivantsov - Michkov
Poltapov - Ovchinnikov - Pashin

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
For the forwards maybe something like this:

I'd say, not even close.

1) Guslistov is leading Severstal forwards in ice time, one could make a point he is one of the key players on his KHL team, where the hell is he?
2) Gushchin on the 1st line is puzzling.
3) Playing Kusnutdinov and Svechkov together seemed like a pretty set idea in Larionov's head.
4) Ovchinnikov's chances to make the team seem slim at best, at this point, and definitely not at center.
5) A lot of roster spots will have to be decided during the camp(s), guys doing well in the VHL, like Katelevsky and Tankov, can definitely push one of the bigger names out. Again, on the surface, someone like Ovchinnikov doesn't have much chance of competing against them.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I'd say, not even close.

1) Guslistov is leading Severstal forwards in ice time, one could make a point he is one of the key players on his KHL team, where the hell is he?
3) Playing Kusnutdinov and Svechkov together seemed like a pretty set idea in Larionov's head.
4) Ovchinnikov's chances to make the team seem slim at best, at this point, and definitely not at center.
5) A lot of roster spots will have to be decided during the camp(s), guys doing well in the VHL, like Katelevsky and Tankov, can definitely push one of the bigger names out. Again, on the surface, someone like Ovchinnikov doesn't have much chance of competing against them.

Ponomaryov is currently the number 1 center in my eyes. He's back in Russia, it's his year (by year of birth), he was there last year and played under Larionov and with his strong 2way play he fits well into the role. I'd really like to see Yurov on the RW. But Miro - Svech - Yurov harmonized/played well together. So it was Khus, who is currently playing LW, and Gushchin, who had a very strong last season and already played together with Pono. In my opinion the age factor will also play a role here. But let's see how Gushchin does in the OHL. I expect a dominant season. The negative thing here is that they may be physically too weak. But as I said, do you break the line that was one of the best at the U18 WC?

Chibrikov and Michkov have both shown that they can play together. Ivantsov has a good start to the season, all three know each other very well. There are many variants for the 4th line. I have not yet seen Guslistov play and I cannot say anything about him. I cannot see in Larionovs head. Thanks for the reminder that a lot of roster spots will have to be decided. How would your combinations look like?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
With each new season it's harder and harder to project the roster. We have more and more good kids. Still not of course on Canada level, but our 2nd U18 team has just won 3-0 series vs Czech away.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'd say, not even close.

Well, 1+1 in 16 games doesn't look very promising though.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Thanks for the reminder that a lot of roster spots will have to be decided. How would your combinations look like?
That was part of my point. What's the point of talking about the line combos when a huge part of the roster is largely unknown. And regarding the U18 lines and whatnot, for sure you break them, it's ancient history.

Well, 1+1 in 16 games doesn't look very promising though.
Sure his offense at the KHL level is tanking pretty bad but how is it an argument to not have him on the team at all. We aren't talking about the best possibilities for a 1st PP unit here. Also, needless to say, he plays on a team that scores 1,75 goals per game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
With each new season it's harder and harder to project the roster. We have more and more good kids. Still not of course on Canada level, but our 2nd U18 team has just won 3-0 series vs Czech away.
Oh that is far better than what Canada has in this age group. I mean forwards only of course.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
So Larionov will contineu with this team his soviet-like style? Was he really tryed it in the previous wjc?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Gushchin, meanwhile, is definitely closer to not making the team than playing on the 1st line. 1+0 in the first 4 OHL games.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Canada has showed great hockey iq to be not participated at the hlinka gretzky this year))
I'm thinking that's one country that can look after themselves. They've dominated this tournament so probably wanted to give some other country a chance this year. Good on them.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Oh that is far better than what Canada has in this age group. I mean forwards only of course.

Russia's 04 group is certainly impressive, but I think its a bit of a stretch to say it is "far better" than what Canada could have fielded at the Hlinka: Wright (likely 1st overall pick in 22), Bedard (top 2 candidate in 23), Fantilli (likely top 5 pick in 23), Geekie (likely top 10 pick in 22) and Savoie (likely top 15 pick in 22).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russia's 04 group is certainly impressive, but I think its a bit of a stretch to say it is "far better" than what Canada could have fielded at the Hlinka: Wright (likely 1st overall pick in 22), Bedard (top 2 candidate in 23), Fantilli (likely top 5 pick in 23), Geekie (likely top 10 pick in 22) and Savoie (likely top 15 pick in 22).
Canadians go higher than Russians by design. It is biased(against Russians and not for Canadians). It is what it is. So draft picks aren't really a good measuring stick.

It's not that Canada's forward selection is any less great than ususal, it's that Russia is loaded more that ususal even by Russia's standards for forwards. Those you mention are the undrafted underagers. For every one Russia has a same level of talent guy. But that's not counting the not underagers. They will be there too. Russia will suffer from it's usual weaknesses, but with forwards selection the coachng staff will have huge headaches, because they will probably have to leave out a couple of guys who would be locks in any other year.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Canadians go higher than Russians by design. It is biased(against Russians and not for Canadians). It is what it is. So draft picks aren't really a good measuring stick.

It's not that Canada's forward selection is any less great than ususal, it's that Russia is loaded more that ususal even by Russia's standards for forwards. Those you mention are the undrafted underagers. For every one Russia has a same level of talent guy. But that's not counting the not underagers. They will be there too. Russia will suffer from it's usual weaknesses, but with forwards selection the coachng staff will have huge headaches, because they will probably have to leave out a couple of guys who would be locks in any other year.

The poster was taking about U-18, so I focused on U-18 players, and I’m more than fairly confident each of these players would be drafted in those ranges regardless of their nationality.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The poster was taking about U-18, so I focused on U-18 players, and I’m more than fairly confident each of these players would be drafted in those ranges regardless of their nationality.
I don't doubt they will be drafted there. The draft position does not reflect the talent level though because of the nationality bias that is real. Russians with the same talent will be drafted lower.

I've done it in the other thread. Look up russian top earners in the NHL right now. The top 5 features Ovechkin and Malkin as 1OA and 2OA, the other three are a low 2nrd round pick, a 5th round pick and and the top earner is the undrafted Panarin. Do this for Canadians or NA players and you won't find a pick outside the top 5 and a whole bunch of 1OA picks.

There are many factors to it from bad NHL scouting in Russia to teams fearing the spooky narratinves about russian players so they'd pick other nation's players ahead of Russians.

All that is to say that saying there are X future top 10 picks on Team Canada does not mean much, because Russians who won't be picked in the Top 10 might be just as talented.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Gushchin, meanwhile, is definitely closer to not making the team than playing on the 1st line. 1+0 in the first 4 OHL games.

Where are your combos? Who do you see at 1 RW? Where would be the best place for Gushshin? Otherwise, thank you for your update after 4 games, we'll talk again in December.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Where are your combos? Who do you see at 1 RW? Where would be the best place for Gushshin? Otherwise, thank you for your update after 4 games, we'll talk again in December.
I told you already, I don't feel the need to act like I see the future - I don't. If Gushchin doing bad, like really bad, personally offends you maybe you should take it up with him.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I told you already, I don't feel the need to act like I see the future - I don't. If Gushchin doing bad, like really bad, personally offends you maybe you should take it up with him.

Strange, you've been acting like you could see the future. And I bet you haven't seen a single second of Gushshin play this or last season.

Reactions: Prominence

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Strange, you've been acting like you could see the future. And I bet you haven't seen a single second of Gushshin play this or last season.
Because I gave your made-up lines very legitimate, well-founded criticism? That's over the line? :laugh:

And yes, I have not, much like you have not seen a single game of Guslistov. I guess that's the downside of living on a different continent. That's exactly why I'm not the one posting my suggested lineup. However, from some point, the statline becomes evidence enough to draw some conclusions. And yet, you get somehow triggered by it.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Looks like they have the potential for the strongest Russia team in many years. Forwards are super skilled. I think they claim Silver at World Juniors.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Looks like they have the potential for the strongest Russia team in many years. Forwards are super skilled. I think they claim Silver at World Juniors.
Meant to say "at least" Silver at World Juniors. Might be a younger team than usual but those young guys belong on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad