WJC: 2022 Team Finland roster talk

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Great team, great story and the gold was so close. Congrats and thank you, you are winners!

Thank you Pennanen, very succesful 2 year project. First head coach in 19 years who coaches the U20 team to back to back medals. When Jalonen decides to retire, the men's national team will be in good hands.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Who are some 2003s you're looking forward to joining this team for Christmas, and do you see new 04's making it?
Perhaps Huuhtanen and Kiviharju. Tuomaala? Rönni? Malinen? Nyman if he gets going and works on his skating.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Great game to the Finns. Just amazing come back. Could have gone either way.

In a way, things turned out well...

You won the World Championship - which means MUCH more to you.
We won the World Juniors - which means MUCH more to us.

Congrats on the great game.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Perhaps Huuhtanen and Kiviharju. Tuomaala? Rönni? Malinen? Nyman if he gets going and works on his skating.
I agree otherwise, but maybe not with Tuomaala after all. He gives me very strong Brad Lambert vibes. A lot of speed, but unfortunately very little of hockey IQ. I could see maybe Emil Järventie in the team, at least if he continues with his development well. On the other hand it might be a bit too soon for him. But I could see still somekind of a chance for him too. He at least has some quite nice hockey IQ and a lot of skill too. But might be still physically too raw. But lets see in a few months.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
There is nothing surprising, Canada comes out of gate with full speed in front of their sold out crowd. Doing the same would be a suicide, there's not one team that can afford to challenge Canada in that. You get more chances but you give more chances and they will score.

Pace will slow down eventually (like we saw) and we get our own game going and some chances.
You called that one right. Stuck with the game plan and were half an inch from winning.

Reactions: karhukissa

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I can't say anything more than i was impressed how the guys finished this game. They should be proud over themselves!
I do think we got steamed in the beginning but the way Finland came back was great.

Jatkola deserves a lot of praise. Excellent game from him. I hope teams are ready to follow up and scout him. Perhaps a future NHL'er, second option or not. He was good these two last games!
Strong of Heimosalmi to bounce back after his poor beginning in this game.

Sadly, my fears regarding Rafkin seemed to be precise, but... I hope he' ll shout my mouth in the future. Rooting for you too!

Feel a bit for Lambert as well. Questionable selection considering how he was used and got treated later on. Let's hope he' ll bounce back as well, not only for himself, but for finnish hockey as well. Because i' m searching after that speedy winger for our fourth line in a best-on-best in the future. Who knows if he can turn things around and learn to read the game a bit better and become more effective. He is still young!

Meriläinen, i apologize for being cruel. He's a human being. It was Pennanens fault insisting to keep it going after having a defense not being able to catch rebounds etc. I'm thinking of Rafkin and a couple of others.
I hope that he will have a nice career as well.

At the end of the day? Let's hope for a gold when it's christmas! When the tournament is supposed to be played anyways.

Last thing, Finland is a true powerhouse in hockey and there is no one who can claim anything else.
Two golds and one silver (loss in OT away) in three big tournaments? Hats off!
Great post.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why didn't Kemell, Viro or Heimosalmi play in the ot? Pennanen certainly made some interesting choices who to play there.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Who are some 2003s you're looking forward to joining this team for Christmas, and do you see new 04's making it?
Samu Salminen
Samu Tuomaala
Aleksi Heimosalmi
Brad Lambert
Viljami Marjala
Topias Vilen
Jani Lampinen
Aku Koskenvuo
Rasmus Ruusunen
Viljam Sandvik

Joakim Kemell
Aleksanteri Kaskimäki
Jani Nyman
Topias Leinonen
Niklas Kokko
Jere Lassila
Otto Salin
Kasper Kulonummi
Topi Rönni

And few underage players
2005 Kasper Halttunen ( if he plays well in HIFK )
2006 Aron Kiviharju ( same as Halttunen )

Lets talk more in here.
It's time to lock this 2022 thread because tournament is over.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad