WJC: 2022 Team Finland roster talk

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Bronze game to go, but figured I still start this thread.

Potential returnees:
F - Kasper Simontaival
F - Brad Lambert
F - Samuel Helenius
F - Roni Hirvonen
F - Roby Järventie
D - Kasper Puutio
D - Topi Niemelä
D - Ruben Rafkin
D - Eemil Viro
D - Matias Rajaniemi
G - Joel Blomqvist

Other names:
F - Aatu Räty
F - Oliver Suni
F - Samu Tuomaala
F - Samu Salminen
F - Joakim Kemell
F - Aatu Jämsen
F - Eero Niemi
F - Juuso Mäenpää
F - Eetu Liukas
F - Emil Järventie (2005)
F - Viljami Marjala
F - Ville Koivunen
F - Jeremi Tammela
F - Oliver Kapanen
F - Joel Määttä
D - Joni Jurmo
D - Viljami Juusola
D - Elmeri Laakso
D - Aleksi Malinen
D - Topias Vilén

Potential lineup:

Simontaival - Lambert - Hirvonen
Järventie - Räty - Suni
Tuomaala - Helenius - Salminen
Liukas - Jämsen - Marjala
Kemell

Niemelä - Puutio
Viro - Jurmo
Rafkin - Rajaniemi
Juusola/Malinen/Vilén

Blomqvist

My ideas for lineup ended after three lines, so names on the fourth were a bit random. I must have missed some important names.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
What about Tuukka Tieksola? Replace Jarventie with him, he's a speedy skilled guy. Would fit much better into the team i'd say.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Very interesting, thank you.

I do think Aleksi Malinen is a bit underrated or unknown for many out there. I have been impressed by his skillset in the Leijonat jersey. Raw but still some interesting potential :)

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
What about Tuukka Tieksola? Replace Jarventie with him, he's a speedy skilled guy. Would fit much better into the team i'd say.
He is too old unfortunately.

Very interesting, thank you.

I do think Aleksi Malinen is a bit underrated or unknown for many out there. I have been impressed by his skillset in the Leijonat jersey. Raw but still some interesting potential :)
Added him

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
The D´s are having quite the depth next year? Even Vilén is missing in that list, but in all honesty? I´ve not watched him play this year but he is already playing with men.

Potential bloomers that are not there yet, but perhaps next year: Oliver Kapanen, Marjala, Väisänen, Malinen ( I saw you added him), Koivunen, Verneri Miettinen, Määttä, Jiri Pärssinen, Karri Aho, Ottavainen etc.

My potential lines for next years tournament:

Lambert-Hirvonen-Järventie
Tuomaala-Aatu Räty-Simontaival
Suni-Helenius-Jämsen
Kemell-Salminen--Liukas

Mäenpää, Väisänen, Rönni, Kapanen, Joel Määttä

Viro-Niemelä
Rajaniemi-Puutio
Malinen-Rafkin

Rami Määttä, Jurmo, Jiri Pärssinen, Vilén, Sedoff

Blomqvist, clear number one. Looks a bit thin after him. Markkanen, Helomaa. Younger goalies look more promising in Vali and Vinni.

The depth at center position and defense will be there. The roster could be quite deep next year. A lot can happen in one year but at this very moment? Team Finland could be pretty stacked 2022. More than excited.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
The D´s are having quite the depth next year? Even Vilén is missing in that list, but in all honesty? I´ve not watched him play this year but he is already playing with men.

Potentail bloomers that are not there yet next year: Oliver Kapanen, Marjala, Väisänen, Malinen ( I saw you added him), Koivunen, Verneri Miettinen, Määttä, Jiri Pärssinen,
Yeah, defense certainly seems to be the strenght of this team.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Looks to be a much stronger team on both defense and offense. Only Lundell will be missed from the top lines of offense. Hirvonen, Simontaival, Lambert, Helenius and Järventie will all be a year older and Aa.Räty, Tuomaala and Salminen will be nice additions there being all potential first rounders.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Järventie-Räty-Lambert
Marjala-Hirvonen-Tuomaala
Jämsen-Helenius-Simontaival
Liukas-Salminen-Suni
Korhonen, Koskela

Viro-Niemelä
Rajaniemi-Puutio
Malinen-Rafkin
Määttä-Vilen

Blomqvist
Meriläinen
Markkanen

Looks a bit thin on left wing at the moment but other than that should be a strong team.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Tuomaala-Räty-Simontaival
Järventie-Hirvonen-Lambert
Suni-Helenius-Kemell
Salminen-Määttä-Liukas
Kapanen, Jämsen, Mäenpää, Niemi, Marjala

Viro-Niemelä
Rafkin-Puutio
Vilén-Rajaniemi
Jurmo, Määttä, Malinen

Blomqvist
Markkanen

Looks like a really interesting and strong team. Especially the D but also upfront, should be something to really look forward to...

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Looking like a lot deeper line up than in 2021. A better starting goalie as well.

Dont think the top players will be quite on the level of Lundell and Heinola though. Lambert and Räty have talent but doubt either develops to Lundell's level in a year. Niemelä looked great but again I dont think he'll quite be on Heinola's level even with an extra year

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm loving the defense. Many returning players from this current team.

I didn't know that Pennanen has a contract for the next u20 tournament as well. Anything but a medal would be disappointing. Perhaps even the gold. If that tournament were to be in Europe, I'd say gold but in NA Canada and USA get a lot scarier.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I'm loving the defense. Many returning players from this current team.

I didn't know that Pennanen has a contract for the next u20 tournament as well. Anything but a medal would be disappointing. Perhaps even the gold. If that tournament were to be in Europe, I'd say gold but in NA Canada and USA get a lot scarier.
Pennanen will lead us to the promised land.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Have a feeling Finland is a strong contender for gold next year. The 19 year old crop they'll have available is fantastic and Bad Lambert will be even better as a draft eligible.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
And the other gold finger Jukka Jalonen at men's team and Pennanen as one of the assistant coaches. I think it has never been better situation in terms of head coach tandems in men's/seniors and in U20.

In Finland:thumbu: we trust. The leap of faith. When it goes - then it goes all, all around.:DD. Finland at hockey right about now are evil, evil. And that on all levels.:nod:

Reactions: Mestaruus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this would be Finland's best team going into the tournament in years. Great center depth, real quality goaltending, and an underrated defensive core.

Jarventie-Lambert-Simontaival
Hirvonen-Raty-Tuomaala
Marjala-Salminen-Kemell
Suni-Helenius-Jamsen
Kapanen

Viro-Niemela
Rajaniemi-Rafkin
Jurmo-Puutio
Aho

Blomqvist
Merilainen
Markkanen

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think this would be Finland's best team going into the tournament in years. Great center depth, real quality goaltending, and an underrated defensive core.

Jarventie-Lambert-Simontaival
Hirvonen-Raty-Tuomaala
Marjala-Salminen-Kemell
Suni-Helenius-Jamsen
Kapanen

Viro-Niemela
Rajaniemi-Rafkin
Jurmo-Puutio
Aho

Blomqvist
Merilainen
Markkanen
There is potential, but it's heavily dependent on progress of Lambert and Räty. Lambert will still be really young and his off-puck play was weak this year, so a good change his off-puck play doesnt get to WJC 1C level in a year. Räty's development seems to have stalled, so his level next year is a bit of a mystery as well. Hirvonen might end up 1C, but it's still a strong team so I'm excited

Reactions: Keke

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
This is more regarding previous tournament but since Pennanen is our coach next year aswell:

He gave some interesting information regarding how he was preparing players for the tournament (Total hockey forever podcast). Apparently before tournament they talked a lot about Zlatan and winning mentality. Also before Switzerland game atleast they watched how Metallica was getting ready for their concert, and their attitude before first song and then full speed right off the bat.

Also he said that he will create training and study material about this Canadian team, how they play in a small rink and how they play together both zones. Just by listening Pennanen you can realize how damn smart coach he is. I'm sure next year we'll be even better.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Hirvonen-Lambert-Simontaival
Järventie-Räty-Tuomaala
Marjala-Helenius-Suni
Salminen-Määttä-Liukas

Viro-Niemela
Rajaniemi-Puutio
Jurmo-Rafkin

Blomqvist
Markkanen

Solid group overall. First line looks great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad