GDT: 2022 Rookie Faceoff @SJ TechCU Arena (9/16/22 - 9/19/22)

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I had similar thoughts but yea its just a little tournament that means nothing. Id add Grans to the Thomas and Madden list though.
There is a new tier of guys to keep an eye on that have some promise in Jamsen, Helenius, Pinelli, Chromiak, and Booth. I thought the Kings rookies looked better than most in this tournament and am excited to see how it plays out.
Byfield, Clarke and Spence were on another level during this tourney.
I liked how Jamsen, Helenius, Pinelli, Chromiak and Inamoto played.
Thomas and Madden were ok.
I did not liked how Booth played...
In my opinion Kings really need elite level goalie prospects more than anything else.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Few standouts for sure. The usual suspects did well. But Grans had a pretty rough weekend. Yikes. he stood out for the wrong reasons every time I saw him on the ice. Never was too high on him anyways so just gotta be patient with some of these kids.

Reactions: Lt Dan

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Few standouts for sure. The usual suspects did well. But Grans had a pretty rough weekend. Yikes. he stood out for the wrong reasons every time I saw him on the ice. Never was too high on him anyways so just gotta be patient with some of these kids.
I did not like how Grans played in first game of this tournament and first part of third game.
He was different player in second part of third game.
His played much more confident game and he even exhibited some physicality in few episodes.
I think his issues are mostly related to confidence.
If he is going to be able to fix it, he will be ok.
I think Cernak when he was with LA had the same issues…

Reactions: ru4reals and Lt Dan

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Grans played pretty well in Ontario last season by all accounts. He's definitely a longer term project as he is a converted forward. Kim N could be his partner all season long.

Reactions: kinghock

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Grans played pretty well in Ontario last season by all accounts. He's definitely a longer term project as he is a converted forward. Kim N could be his partner all season long.
I liked Kims game. If he was on another team with a bigger role without Clarke and Spence he would have been a standout.

Reactions: Fishhead

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I liked Kims game. If he was on another team with a bigger role without Clarke and Spence he would have been a standout.
Yeah some guys are going to be overshadowed. The cost of having a highly ranked prospect pool, I suppose. I thought he was really solid but it's more difficult to notice when Clarke is looking dominant. I would imagine even the coaches have a hard time analyzing the play of the more solid types.

Reactions: Schmooley

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
I think Grans is the kind of dman that could excell with the right partner. Might not ever be a number 1 or anything but could be an awesome number 3 or 4 with the right safety valve

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
He was ok. The real standout of course was Spence and everyone else kind of paled in comparison. It's not a criticism by any means, but at least imo, he didn't set himself apart much from the other d-men as someone to get excited about just yet.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Byfield, Clarke and Spence were on another level during this tourney.
I liked how Jamsen, Helenius, Pinelli, Chromiak and Inamoto played.
Thomas and Madden were ok.
I did not liked how Booth played...
In my opinion Kings really need elite level goalie prospects more than anything else.
Agree with everything except Helenius. Even from watching him in the AHL I thought he'd be more physical but the guy is pretty soft relative to what I was hoping for. He definitely skates well enough and goes to the net, but not much else. He had opportunities to bury guys both in the AHL last year and prospect tourney and seemed to hold up. I don't except him to be a brawler, but it would be nice to develop that huge 3rd line center who can bring a bit of an edge.

I was hoping he could turn into something similar to that PHX player who boarded Brown in the playoffs (I forget his name).

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Agree with everything except Helenius. Even from watching him in the AHL I thought he'd be more physical but the guy is pretty soft relative to what I was hoping for. He definitely skates well enough and goes to the net, but not much else. He had opportunities to bury guys both in the AHL last year and prospect tourney and seemed to hold up. I don't except him to be a brawler, but it would be nice to develop that huge 3rd line center who can bring a bit of an edge.

I was hoping he could turn into something similar to that PHX player who boarded Brown in the playoffs (I forget his name).

Helenius will be more physical when he gains 20 more pounds of muscles and get more experience.
His father when he was enforcer in NHL was 6-foot-5, 225 pounds
Also, Samuel is already much better player comparing to his last year in AHL.

Reactions: yankeeking

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Hanzal. I've had that thought before too.

I think he'll develop a little more of an edge when he gets comfortable. He's a pretty simple, instinctive player, but you could tell he's trying to be conscientious. Maybe won't be a brawler necessarily but no reason he can't be Adam Lowry.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Hanzal. I've had that thought before too.

I think he'll develop a little more of an edge when he gets comfortable. He's a pretty simple, instinctive player, but you could tell he's trying to be conscientious. Maybe won't be a brawler necessarily but no reason he can't be Adam Lowry.
Hanzal, yea him haha! Thanks.

For sure, and I'm aware he just came over to NA last year so he'll need time to adjust to the game style here. I think his scouting report did make light of his physical play so hopefully as he gets more comfortable we'll see more of that side of his game.

Helenius will be more physical when he gains 20 more pounds of muscles and get more experience.
His father when he was enforcer in NHL was 6-foot-5, 225 pounds
Also, Samuel is already much better player comparing to his last year in AHL.
He seems like a pretty big dude already, but more experience and getting used to the NA leagues for sure. Also, not to disagree but it's kind of hard to say he was a better player than last year as the only games he's played since are some WJCs and a rookie tourney. This upcoming season will really show how much he's improved.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal

All true but unfair to paint that small of sample size for a 19 year old rookie playing against men. For a guy with that size and skating- hes a solid prospect and as you say...can get some snarl like his dad brought could be a solid bottom liner with PK upside.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Maybe I’m foolish but I don’t see much hope for a lot of Russian prospects at the moment, not even taking into consideration LA’s garbage luck with Russians.
A bit foolish considering all the bum North Americans we’ve drafted in the first round who still haven’t done shit lol

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
The 2 fastest talkers on earth; John Hoven, at 2.95325 words per second and Brandt Clarke, 3.125 words per second. When they do an interview, there needs to be a .675 playback speed, so one does not have to listen to it 3 times, to take it all in. I am just glad that Brandt thinks the game and sees the ice, 1.625 faster than his peers and can actually execute what his play selection is, with a pretty high success rate! This will soon translate to 1.275 faster than his NHL peers....at least when he has 50 NHL games under his skates.

Impressed. Wish I could talk that fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad