GDT: 2022 Rookie Faceoff @SJ TechCU Arena (9/16/22 - 9/19/22)

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I've been saying this for awhile - Blake has drafted skill over grit and he will have to address this.

Can't have Lemieux being the only tough player in the ENTIRE organization and Clarke getting run twice and Pinalli challenged.

Naubauer can scrap, but he is most likely a career ECHL/AHL'er. Lawrence is 6'-6" but he has a total of 8 PIM in three seasons. So unless he turns out like Parros, who never fought and then had to fight in his first camp to make a name for himself, that's not his game.

Same with Lee, Helenius, and Rossmy - they all have size, but don't play a hard game. Surprised Helenius doesn't play more phyiscal considering how his dad played.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
He plays like a 4th line veteran already. Coaches are gonna love him his whole career.

I was kind of surprised when Yannetti was so pleased with last years (2021) draft (calling it his favorite, or something like that) ...when they traded so many picks and moved up to get Pinelli and Helenius...and they also got Kirsanov. And drafted Clarke, of course. All 4 of these guys will play. Pinelli looks pretty quick and has a good transition game. Has some skill. Maybe he ends up being 3rd center, when QB is ready to move into 2c, 1c. Plus, being a captain at 18/19 yrs old with Kitchener bodes well. Helenius does look great and may just need 1 season in Ontario. And then there's Kirill Kirsanov.
Didn't he just have a 2 goal, 2 assist game? Crazy. MHL league,atm. Has 5 pts in 4 games.
He honestly may be a first pairing LHD. More upside than Anderson, Bjornfot.

Yannetti may just be right about the 2021 draft.

Physically stronger than most of his peers.. he might have the best defensive stick in the entire 2002 class (aug), Draftin Europe 2019

Last edited:

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
1st point for Byfield = he's been temporarily lifted from bust status
I was able to watch the first game vs Avs right on the glass behind the Kings net. To me Byfield looked very strong, whenever he swung down low and built up speed he was unstoppable between the blue lines. I was watching as a fan, not trying to break down the players but he, and especially Clarke, were very noticeable.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I was able to watch the first game vs Avs right on the glass behind the Kings net. To me Byfield looked very strong, whenever he swung down low and built up speed he was unstoppable between the blue lines. I was watching as a fan, not trying to break down the players but he, and especially Clarke, were very noticeable.
He looked dominant today. Reminds me a bit of how he looked in last years pre-season before the ankle break.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty good for a 7th rounder.
I’ve been rooting for Jamsen since we drafted him. Ever since I read the story that he stayed up til 2 am in his country, watching every round praying to get drafted, and went crazy when he saw we threw a 7th round pick at him.

He must have been ectastic. Also the details about how other teams told Yannetti they were going to toss him a 7th round pick too after seeing how he seemingly out of no where tore up that under scouted league he played in, right before the draft. We got to him first tho.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
He looked dominant today. Reminds me a bit of how he looked in last years pre-season before the ankle break.
Really wonder what his season would have been like otherwise. Coming into the season cold midway as a 19 yo after the rest of the league got half a season under their belt cant be easy.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Has Jamsen gained/added weight? When drafted he was listed at 6'1 and 154. That's freaking skinny & rail thin. He's young, so he has plenty of time to add weight/bulk/muscle.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This is the single best post in the history of HFBoards here from kinghock.

1663690067690.png

Can a mod please sticky post # 317 in this thread

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
QB was good, as was Clarke. Spence was solid as expected, not much happened against when he was on the ice. It's such a subtle difference between a pro's methodical, efficient play and the more flashy play of guys trying to make an impression. You could see that in QB as well. Clarke? Well he just has it. I can't see how he's not a roster lock by 23-24 or sooner.

I'm not going to lie, I don't think Thomas has it. His surgeries are having huge effects, and maybe he takes a long while to get back from them. But right now he's just kind of nick shore-ish with a little less offense. Hoping he can blossom but to me if he doesn't take some major steps this year he'll start sliding down the depth chart. Same with Madden, he needs to take a step as well. At that size you really need to be showing something by now.

It's only a few games in a meaningless (to us) tournament, but after watching I know who I would start thinking about moving for other assets.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
QB was good, as was Clarke. Spence was solid as expected, not much happened against when he was on the ice. It's such a subtle difference between a pro's methodical, efficient play and the more flashy play of guys trying to make an impression. You could see that in QB as well. Clarke? Well he just has it. I can't see how he's not a roster lock by 23-24 or sooner.

I'm not going to lie, I don't think Thomas has it. His surgeries are having huge effects, and maybe he takes a long while to get back from them. But right now he's just kind of nick shore-ish with a little less offense. Hoping he can blossom but to me if he doesn't take some major steps this year he'll start sliding down the depth chart. Same with Madden, he needs to take a step as well. At that size you really need to be showing something by now.

It's only a few games in a meaningless (to us) tournament, but after watching I know who I would start thinking about moving for other assets.
I had similar thoughts but yea its just a little tournament that means nothing. Id add Grans to the Thomas and Madden list though.
There is a new tier of guys to keep an eye on that have some promise in Jamsen, Helenius, Pinelli, Chromiak, and Booth. I thought the Kings rookies looked better than most in this tournament and am excited to see how it plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad