Patriots/NFL 2022 Regular Season Part 2: 7-8 week 17 vs. Dolphins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Heard today they may replay Monday night and push all the games back

They should keep next week as-is and just play it as the lone game the following week. Easier just to push the playoffs back a week and lose the bye week before the SB like they've done before.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Talking bout cancelling or making games a tie?

What world some of you live in? This is what a billion dollar business? You think this will stop all involved from getting their money? Fat chance.

Shit a dude died working at an amazon warehouse and they just surrounded him with boxes so his coworkers wouldnt see. Thats an amazon warehouse.

NFL is billions and billions

Its sad but money makes the world go round.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Talking bout cancelling or making games a tie?

What world some of you live in? This is what a billion dollar business? You think this will stop all involved from getting their money? Fat chance.

Shit a dude died working at an amazon warehouse and they just surrounded him with boxes so his coworkers wouldnt see. Thats an amazon warehouse.

NFL is billions and billions

Its sad but money makes the world go round.

It's the old saying - Time waits for no man..

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Imagine if this happened in the Superbowl instead of a late-season MNF game and they have to postpone the game late in the first quarter. Nightmare scenario for the league.

Sometimes I wonder why I watch this barbaric game anyway. Turning it into weak two-hand touch would be unwatchable, but at least we wouldn't be actively creating demand for guys to get their brains bashed in every week, and now hearts. I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just declare it a tie. JFC this isn't complicated.
Yep. If common sense prevails everyone will realize that the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals are all in the playoffs regardless. They can figure this out on the field in the playoffs. Trying to force this game in because it impacts seeding is dumb. If any neanderthal football fan complains, too bad. Life isn't fair sometimes (and that doesn't even apply here). You'd be doing both the Bills and Bengals a disservice by trying to play this game and then also push back games on the final week of the season.

Reactions: EverettMike

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Whatever the Pats players decide I support them 100%.

If they cancel the game and call it a tie, then the Pats miss the playoffs at 8-8-1 with a Steelers or Dolphins victory. Maybe the Bills can officially forfeit which would let the Pats back into the playoffs and ironically set up a Pats/Bills #2 vs. #7 WC matchup.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Whatever the Pats players decide I support them 100%.
What do you mean here? What decision to Patriots players have?

Imagine if this happened in the Superbowl instead of a late-season MNF game and they have to postpone the game late in the first quarter. Nightmare scenario for the league.

Sometimes I wonder why I watch this barbaric game anyway. Turning it into weak two-hand touch would be unwatchable, but at least we wouldn't be actively creating demand for guys to get their brains bashed in every week, and now hearts. I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often.
I forget the stat I saw on how this occurs--getting hit so hard at the exact time your heart is doing something in particular but it's extremely rare for something like this to happen.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If they cancel the game and call it a tie, then the Pats miss the playoffs at 8-8-1 with a Steelers or Dolphins victory. Maybe the Bills can officially forfeit which would let the Pats back into the playoffs and ironically set up a Pats/Bills #2 vs. #7 WC matchup.
Are you saying they would cancel Bills/Pats and instead have the Bills play the Bengals? I don't see a scenario where they simply cancel last night's game and the Pats-Bills game.

If they push for Sunday's game to be delayed or if they defy the league in some way I support them 100%. This is so much bigger than the game.
I don't think Patriots players would be pushing for this. If anything I think the defiance will come from the Bills being asked to play the Bengals tonight/tomorrow and then play the Pats as scheduled.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Are you saying they would cancel Bills/Pats and instead have the Bills play the Bengals? I don't see a scenario where they simply cancel last night's game and the Pats-Bills game.

I don't think Patriots players would be pushing for this. If anything I think the defiance will come from the Bills being asked to play the Bengals tonight/tomorrow and then play the Pats as scheduled.
We will see what happens but at this point until an update about his condition is given things must stay on hold.

Thank god for the medical staff on the sidelines last night.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Imagine being associated with the Kansas City Chiefs and coming out in the media and complaining if the league doesn't ask the Bills and Bengals to play this game. Epitome of tone deaf.

Does anyone honestly think players on the Bengals care about playing this game either even though they still have a shot at 1/2 seed? They also literally watched a guy die on the field last night and then be brought back to life. I would like to think even professional athletes have a sense of football vs. real life.

I would imagine a decision needs to be made today. You can't drag your feet on this and wait until you know for sure that the player will make a recovery.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Who gives a shit? At the end of the day it's just a game and they'll still crown a champion. Fair? Unfair? Lucky? Unlucky? Again, who gives a shit? There's always luck and issues of fairness during an NFL season. Big whoop.

Everyone gives a shit, that's who. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and trying to appear morally superior.

If you are a fan of the nfl, you have already prioritized your entertainment over others' health. This is not debatable.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Imagine being associated with the Kansas City Chiefs and coming out in the media and complaining if the league doesn't ask the Bills and Bengals to play this game. Epitome of tone deaf.

Does anyone honestly think players on the Bengals care about playing this game either even though they still have a shot at 1/2 seed? They also literally watched a guy die on the field last night and then be brought back to life. I would like to think even professional athletes have a sense of football vs. real life.

I would imagine a decision needs to be made today. You can't drag your feet on this and wait until you know for sure that the player will make a recovery.
If people decide to act this way they should have their credentials revoked by the team and league.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

A young man’s life is at risk and that’s awful. However don’t discount the factor that the NFL is a big money machine. Between TV rights, revenues, ticket admission, Vegas betting, etc etc… I don’t think it’s a stretch to say there are a ton of discussions happening right now in regards to how not to disturb the money machine, whilst being respectful to the family/ teammates of the young man. Maybe they cancel the Bill/ Chiefs game, but I don’t imagine any other games would be canceled.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Everyone gives a shit, that's who. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and trying to appear morally superior.

If you are a fan of the nfl, you have already prioritized your entertainment over others' health. This is not debatable.
I honestly don't give a shit. I had flashbacks to Reggie Lewis collapsing while jogging back up the court in a playoff game. The uncertainty and asking why this happened to him is how I feel right now as a Pats fan. I can't imagine if this happened to one of our guys.

Perspective is a powerful thing. Games don't matter.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

The Bengals are mathematically alive for the #1 seed but it's absolutely unrealistic and hinges on the Chiefs losing to the Raiders, which won't happen.

I think people are blowing this up into more than it is. I'm sure the Bills are traumatized seeing their teammate go through that, I'm sure some players around the league may be a bit scared of taking big hits after seeing that and might grip the stick a little tight, to borrow a hockey phrase, but in the end the other 99% will be fine and things will proceed as normal. The Patriots aren't going to refuse to play the game this Sunday, that's ridiculous.

They'll call Bills/Bengals a tie because there's no other possible scheduling option they could do unless they resumed the game tonight, and pushed Bills/Pats to Monday and then if either of those teams is involved in a WC game (which I believe could only realistically be a rematch of the same teams, push that to the following Monday then give the winner the late Sunday window of the divisional round to get them back on schedule). But I don't believe anyone is ready to play tonight so it won't happen. A tie is the only possibility.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Bengals are mathematically alive for the #1 seed but it's absolutely unrealistic and hinges on the Chiefs losing to the Raiders, which won't happen.

I think people are blowing this up into more than it is. I'm sure the Bills are traumatized seeing their teammate go through that, I'm sure some players around the league may be a bit scared of taking big hits after seeing that and might grip the stick a little tight, to borrow a hockey phrase, but in the end the other 99% will be fine and things will proceed as normal. The Patriots aren't going to refuse to play the game this Sunday, that's ridiculous.

They'll call Bills/Bengals a tie because there's no other possible scheduling option they could do unless they resumed the game tonight, and pushed Bills/Pats to Monday and then if either of those teams is involved in a WC game (which I believe could only realistically be a rematch of the same teams, push that to the following Monday then give the winner the late Sunday window of the divisional round to get them back on schedule). But I don't believe anyone is ready to play tonight so it won't happen. A tie is the only possibility.

A guy literally died and was revived in front of the entire world last night. This is a big f***ing deal and they need to do the right thing here and players need to be supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest