Red Sox/MLB 2022 Regular Season IV - RED SOX 7-19 IN JULY (50-52) - Now in LAST place

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
no you focus on signing Devers and Bogaerts

Just Devers. I love Bogaerts but I get not signing him if it’s going to take 7-8 years. Bogey will be the 3rd best SS on the market this off-season. You could argue 4th behind all of Turner, Correa, Swansby.

Maybe you hold onto him. Let him test the market and he comes back. Maybe you sign a better SS. Someone better than Bogey now and also will be better at a different position than Bogaerts down the road when Mayer is ready.

I’d rather

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Players like Joey Gallo suck. I don't care that you hit 35 homers in the summer or you have a good glove. When it matters and that kind of player is facing good pitchers they are going to swing and miss. Unless the Yankees are giving away another good prospect to a team who will take him like they did with Ottavino i don't even want there to be rumors about Gallo on the Sox. He could get away with hitting dingers and nothing else with the Rangers because it's cowboy season every day in Texas. The New York market has eaten him alive .160 batting average in almost a season worth of games for the Yankees.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Just Devers. I love Bogaerts but I get not signing him if it’s going to take 7-8 years. Bogey will be the 3rd best SS on the market this off-season. You could argue 4th behind all of Turner, Correa, Swansby.

Maybe you hold onto him. Let him test the market and he comes back. Maybe you sign a better SS. Someone better than Bogey now and also will be better at a different position than Bogaerts down the road when Mayer is ready.

I’d rather
yes on Bogaerts. they'd be mad to not sign him

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
yes on Bogaerts. they'd be mad to not sign him

To each their own. Don't get me wrong, if they re-sign Bogaerts, regardless of the contract, I'll be happy. He's a damn good ball player. He's important to Boston. But I understand walking away as much as I understand re-signing him. Both options have important enough points to be okay with multiple scenarios where Bogaerts leaves or stays.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

They’ll make an effort to retain him. It may not work in the end but they clearly at least want to make him an offer.

I’m also cool with letting him play out the year and getting the comp pick if he walks, provided we dip below the luxury tax threshold. The pick isn’t necessarily super valuable in itself, but it does increase the bonus pool a good amount which is pretty valuable

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
100 games - they are 50-50

I am not sold on Bloom as while he did impressive work for Tampa he was still second in command to Matthew Silverman and Tampa today has not missed Bloom.

Red Sox GM history post-Theo has been bizarre.

Ben Cherington took over in 2012 but his choice for a manager was rejected by Lucchino who wanted Bobby Valentine. :help:

Every move Cherington made before the 2013 season worked and then the team fed off the marathon bombing as did the 2013 Bruins and they won it all.

2014 everything went wrong and for 2015 Werner wanted Pablo Sandoval :help:

Cherington resigned when Dombrowski was hired in August 2015 - Dombrowski was given a mandate to win a World Series which he did in 2018.

Dombrowski is blamed for the Chris Sale extension BUT WERNER AND HENRY GAVE THE OK

:help:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I’m also cool with letting him play out the year and getting the comp pick if he walks, provided we dip below the luxury tax threshold. The pick isn’t necessarily super valuable in itself, but it does increase the bonus pool a good amount which is pretty valuable
Respectfully disagree.

If their top priority is to build the farm system, then there's no way they should be passing up the opportunity to acquire multiple quality prospects so that they could hang on to a guy who's likely not in their long-term plans for 62 games of a season where they look like they're miles away from competing for a World Series.

It's ownership/front office negligence.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I begin to wonder if Bloom and that know nothing, Werner are working at cross purposes.

They absolutely should trade XB, his declining d and power. However, Werner and company panicked when the heard what Rocko from Revere thought. What a stupid, disgusting mess.
They will either lose XB for nothing, or pay XB and lose Devers:mad::mad:!
This has been my concern all along.

By hiring Bloom, I think ownership made a smart choice in bringing in someone who wants to build an organization instead of just building a team.

But that process takes time.

I worry that ownership doesn't have the patience or the intestinal fortitude to allow Bloom to execute his plan.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This has been my concern all along.

By hiring Bloom, I think ownership made a smart choice in bringing in someone who wants to build an organization instead of just building a team.

But that process takes time.

I worry that ownership doesn't have the patience or the intestinal fortitude to allow Bloom to execute his plan.

what plan?

Reactions: Johnnyduke

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Xander doesn't drive in runs he just gets a lot of 2 out hits with nobody on base. I am also not sure that whatever offer he is looking for is out there from another team. I bet he'll be like Story and one of those FA still unsigned into February.

I actually think this team will win a bunch of games in August and September and have a good shot at second wild card. We still don't have our staff back.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Xander doesn't drive in runs he just gets a lot of 2 out hits with nobody on base. I am also not sure that whatever offer he is looking for is out there from another team. I bet he'll be like Story and one of those FA still unsigned into February.

I actually think this team will win a bunch of games in August and September and have a good shot at second wild card. We still don't have our staff back.

Can't drive in what isnt there...the 2 in front of him in the lineup have OBPs of .286 and .302 and he is hitting .300 with RISP on the season. Also the past 4 seasons he's driven in 327 in 491 games, a 107 RBI per 162 rate.

Point being, he drive guys in when they're actually on base

Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad