NHL 2022 -out of town- NHL Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Guys are trying to get noticed, that’s an easy way to do it.

Ben Harpur is a fringe NHLer and Jamie Devane is a career AHL guy, they make/stay in the NHL by doing something to set themselves apart from the hundreds of other guys. If it was being better at hockey that's what they'd do, but it's this instead.

I recognize that, but in response I'd say that:

a) if this is what it takes or this is all you have to get noticed, then is it worth it? and

b) if this still impresses coaches in 2022 then I humbly submit that hockey has a culture problem.

This is not me trying to say that all fighting in hockey is wrong. But stuff like this, where it's largely just about trying to draw personal attention in games that don't even matter, I think that's an issue. Guys risking their long-term health to try and earn a spot. In what other team sport or other form of employment is that any longer acceptable?

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

a) if this is what it takes or this is all you have to get noticed, then is it worth it? and

b) if this still impresses coaches in 2022 then I humbly submit that hockey has a culture problem.

This is not me trying to say that all fighting in hockey is wrong. But stuff like this, where it's largely just about trying to draw personal attention in games that don't even matter, I think that's an issue. Guys risking their long-term health to try and earn a spot. In what other team sport or other form of employment is that any longer acceptable?
i wasn't trying to justify it, just saying why it happens. Fighting is always up in the pre-season

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

The machine I work on has the ability to mangle a human being's fingers/hands/arms.

Doesn't happen all that often, statistically speaking, but studies have proven those appendages were lost due to a combination of human error and lax safety regulations

These machines make teddy bears.

Sometimes, one of the 1% of people who lose an appendage in those machines gets depressed. Though the likelihood of a person having depression non-causally related to industrial machine accidents is exponential, a lot of people think the machine and the man done those poor souls dirty. Ditto for alcohol and substance abuse, two blights on humanity not clinically proven to be caused by workplace accidents, but we can clearly see that pretty much everyone in the teddy bear machine operator profession only gets depressed and/or develops substance abuse problems because of those machines, whether they've lost an appendage or not.

Once in a while, one of those fingerless former teddy bear machine operators who is depressed and/or hooked on drugs either dies by their own (ahem) hand or ODs on narcotics.

By simple arithmetic, we can clearly see everyone who has ever worked at the teddy bear factory is 5 times more likely to murder themselves or overdose on booze/pills/fentanyl koolaide than the general population, and 99.9% of current and former teddy bear factory employees can still operate a wheelbarrow.

I don't care about any of that. I want to get certified and work on the top of the line teddy bear machine and get paid between 10 and 100 times my current wage, fingers and booze be damned.

Mrs. Grundy thinks I'm an idiot, probably due to blood loss from being within even 100 ft. of the teddy bear machine.

She thinks she knows how to make the machines just as efficient at making teddy bears without all the messy fingers/hands/arms flying off people and making a bloody spectacle.

Nobody is allowed to run the teddy bear machines. We'll have robots do it. Except for the one rainbow colored bear, which we get purchase orders for about as often as people get depressed after working on the old, non-roboticized teddy bear machines. Rainbow bears are the only teddy bears Mrs. Grundy cares for.

10 to 100 times my salary? So sorry. My ability to decide my tolerance for risk ranks somewhere between a toddler and a lemming, and I clearly need smart, compassionate, statistically literate people to decide what and how I do professionally. Thanks to people like Mrs. Grundy, I'm eligible for 30 weeks of unemployment benefits.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The machine I work on has the ability to mangle a human being's fingers/hands/arms.

Doesn't happen all that often, statistically speaking, but studies have proven those appendages were lost due to a combination of human error and lax safety regulations

These machines make teddy bears.

Sometimes, one of the 1% of people who lose an appendage in those machines gets depressed. Though the likelihood of a person having depression non-causally related to industrial machine accidents is exponential, a lot of people think the machine and the man done those poor souls dirty. Ditto for alcohol and substance abuse, two blights on humanity not clinically proven to be caused by workplace accidents, but we can clearly see that pretty much everyone in the teddy bear machine operator profession only gets depressed and/or develops substance abuse problems because of those machines, whether they've lost an appendage or not.

Once in a while, one of those fingerless former teddy bear machine operators who is depressed and/or hooked on drugs either dies by their own (ahem) hand or ODs on narcotics.

By simple arithmetic, we can clearly see everyone who has ever worked at the teddy bear factory is 5 times more likely to murder themselves or overdose on booze/pills/fentanyl koolaide than the general population, and 99.9% of current and former teddy bear factory employees can still operate a wheelbarrow.

I don't care about any of that. I want to get certified and work on the top of the line teddy bear machine and get paid between 10 and 100 times my current wage, fingers and booze be damned.

Mrs. Grundy thinks I'm an idiot, probably due to blood loss from being within even 100 ft. of the teddy bear machine.

She thinks she knows how to make the machines just as efficient at making teddy bears without all the messy fingers/hands/arms flying off people and making a bloody spectacle.

Nobody is allowed to run the teddy bear machines. We'll have robots do it. Except for the one rainbow colored bear, which we get purchase orders for about as often as people get depressed after working on the old, non-roboticized teddy bear machines. Rainbow bears are the only teddy bears Mrs. Grundy cares for.

10 to 100 times my salary? So sorry. My ability to decide my tolerance for risk ranks somewhere between a toddler and a lemming, and I clearly need smart, compassionate, statistically literate people to decide what and how I do professionally. Thanks to people like Mrs. Grundy, I'm eligible for 30 weeks of unemployment benefits.

Ah, the old 'they choose their own risks' argument. Not buying it. Athletes don't operate in a vacuum. Pre-season fights mostly happen because players are trying to impress, and the culture of hockey says that one of the ways to achieve that is to try and punch one of your opponents in the face. So there is a pressure, or at least an incentive, to do it. Yeah anyone can elect not to, but that's not always an easy call for people attempting to achieve their dream. And then there's the guy who's on the receiving end of the 'invitation'. He often can't refuse without negative consequences for his reputation, so there's even less free choice there.

On top of that, operating dangerous machinery is an intrinsic part of some jobs. It's a risk, but it's necessary to manufacture certain products. Fighting is not actually part of the game play of hockey. It's extracurricular and, strictly speaking, a breach of the rules.

I could go on, but this argument has been had many times before in various forms and there is no point in rehashing it in full here. I have given my opinion in this particular context, which I appreciate is probably not a popular one amongst hockey fans, but there it is, and that will do.

Reactions: KWbruin

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Wasn't sure where to put this random thought but I enjoy different HHoF discussions on these boards. When people discuss so-and-so I always bring up that you have to look at the competition first.
Even without Bergeron retiring, four years from now is going to bring that idea to the forefront.
My list is not complete as I'm not sure exactly who has retired.... but potentially you could have
Chara, Keith and Thornton are no-brainers
Getzlaf, Weber, E. Staal, Perry, Rask
There's the possibility of Jagr retiring if his injury is bad enough.
Marceau? But might be eligible the previous year. Not sure what's happening with Price.
And guys who won't get a look but had great careers like Spezza and Brown.

It'll be interesting conversations in a few years as the queue grows when Bergeron, Sid, Geno, Kane, Stammer, Kopitar, Doughty, Karlsson, MAF, Toews, etc. Start retiring.
Not all these guys will make it but just listing some notable names.

Random, but was just thinking about it when my nephew was talking to me about how Getz would get in his first year.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Wasn't sure where to put this random thought but I enjoy different HHoF discussions on these boards. When people discuss so-and-so I always bring up that you have to look at the competition first.
Even without Bergeron retiring, four years from now is going to bring that idea to the forefront.
My list is not complete as I'm not sure exactly who has retired.... but potentially you could have
Chara, Keith and Thornton are no-brainers
Getzlaf, Weber, E. Staal, Perry, Rask
There's the possibility of Jagr retiring if his injury is bad enough.
Marceau? But might be eligible the previous year. Not sure what's happening with Price.
And guys who won't get a look but had great careers like Spezza and Brown.

It'll be interesting conversations in a few years as the queue grows when Bergeron, Sid, Geno, Kane, Stammer, Kopitar, Doughty, Karlsson, MAF, Toews, etc. Start retiring.
Not all these guys will make it but just listing some notable names.

Random, but was just thinking about it when my nephew was talking to me about how Getz would get in his first year.
That would be an unreal feat. Hockey AND Mime Halls of Fame double-dip.

;) emoticon so as not to confuse anyone who might have thought my reply was serious. Can't be too careful with that in this place.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
That would be an unreal feat. Hockey AND Mime Halls of Fame double-dip.

;) emoticon so as not to confuse anyone who might have thought my reply was serious. Can't be too careful with that in this place.
You can tell the other aspects of my life when this old iPad autocorrects.
You two made me smile. Now I just want to see Marceau's induction speech.

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Just imagine if Toronto got the goalie hugs instead of us??

This is even crazier because Swayman wasn't the guy the Bruins were targeting. Right after the pick, the GM or head scout said the guy the Bruins wanted got picked earlier. It could have been the Leafs' guy

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Here it is, from Scouting Director Scott Bradley:

■ Swayman (G) — “[Goalie coach] Bob Essensa really liked him. Most of our staff was on board with the goalie. We targeted another goalie but he went before our pick.”

Reactions: TCB

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

With how rare fighting is now I’m okay with a few preseason big boy bouts.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Spencer Knight signed a 3yr/$4.5 million extension with FLA

Feels like an overpay, but I imagine FLA is hoping he turns into the #1 they hoped when drafting him #13 overall. So far in his young NHL career he's got 36gp and a .909sv% which doesn't scream $4.5 million goalie.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

“When I was a really young kid it was part of my life,” he said of his acting chops, which also included a bit part in the 1986 movie Separate Vacations. “Those were extras and small parts. On The Littlest Hobo (1979) I was under two years old. It’s a part of my life, it’s a part of my family’s life.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

The shortest bleeps I’ve ever heard lol, they’re bleeping out like one letter.

They’ll play hard but they’re gonna blow

The Flyers are going to be a complete disaster.

I’m not too hot on the Bruins going into this season, but I’m still interested in the league.

I find the Metro Division to be pretty compelling.

Rangers Devils about to start on NHLN.

Reactions: The National
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad