GDT: 2022 NHL Trade Deadline Monday, March 21 3pm est

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Don’t know how I feel about Domi. Good offensively but pretty awful on the other side of the puck. Also another lefty. Can’t play with 8/92, isn’t better than Sheary or Mantha. Probably not playing with 39/19 over Oshie.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Domi at least has the versatility to play wing and center should injuries arise.

He profiles as a poor man’s 2019 Kuznetsov. Extremely poor defensively, but able to consistently outscore his metrics and is a good playmaker. If Laviolette could get Domi to clean up his defensive game like he has with Kuznetsov I think there could be some upside there.

Though I’d prefer a different, more impactful top 6 target in what would likely have to be a hockey trade, Domi is at least more interesting than the lower upside rentals that are out there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Was looking at some 5v5 point rate numbers and Brassard stands out. Cheap contract. Can play center. Likely a savvier depth add than a Watson type but it depends on what they're after. Plenty of playoff experience.

Domi is second only to Brassard in 5v5 point rate among rentals. Some of that's usage-based ala McMichael in they're not high leverage players. They're pretty much offense-only third-liners but Domi could be useful on the second line for balance's sake. The secondary retention price makes it iffy but it depends on the price for that. Otherwise, Roslovic may be an easier fit from CBJ.

Motte's probably the easiest cap fit but I don't know about paying a premium for a player that basically only replaces Hagelin.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Apparently Dermott is going to be traded. Would love for the Caps to get him and take Schultz’s place next year.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
BMac should go after Reimer, then we don't have to keep relying on young or rookie goalies trying to give us 16 wins a season. It also helps slow down and develop our young goalies better.
Ehhh, I'm not sure I fully agree with that.

I'm at a point now where Vanacek is around where I think he'll stay performance-wise. He has 7 pro years already under his belt. I'm not sure how much more you can squeeze out.

Samsonov's work load has been relatively sheltered his whole career and not nearly anything I would think would hinder his development. He's seen marginal games per year increases and regressed every year.

Unless you're talking about future prospects but if that's the case I don't see why we don't just keep the status quo barring a substantial upgrade or moving on from Samsonov.

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Apparently Dermott is going to be traded. Would love for the Caps to get him and take Schultz’s place next year.
Dermott really doesn't move the needle for me at all. He's left handed and he hasn't really shown much glimpse of being the puck-moving defenceman he was supposed to be.

Reactions: HecticGlow

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Dermott really doesn't move the needle for me at all. He's left handed and he hasn't really shown much glimpse of being the puck-moving defenceman he was supposed to be.
He’s had really strong possession and defensive numbers. Would be a solid, cheap 3rd pairing guy. Not a dud offensively but probably not as good in that aspect as Toronto would’ve hoped for.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
If brining in a left dee you want to be able to pair him with JC74 and move Fever back to 3. Can he play that role? I don’t know.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Prices are off the roof this season. Im fine doing nothing. Or like, 3rd or 4th and a 7th for Anderson and Chara to go back last year. It was such a great year.

Thinking ahead about next season, many teams have already off loaded 1sts and 2nds for both 23&24. Keeping ours now puts us in a market next TDL, which propably isnt as pricey. Theres Kane as a top name right now, some other interesting ones aswell.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We should just stay and keep our picks. Our team is pretty good as-is and i don't see anyone on the market that would improve it without significant cost. If there is a guy they like that comes available in a buy-low scenario then sure but i don't see it with the current prices. 1st for Lehkonen? If that's the going rate could we get 1st + 2nd for Conor Sheary because he is better player with better numbers and cheaper contract with an extra year. Perhaps even a B-level prospect.

Reactions: Capitals40

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
He’s had really strong possession and defensive numbers. Would be a solid, cheap 3rd pairing guy. Not a dud offensively but probably not as good in that aspect as Toronto would’ve hoped for.
Dermott or Kulak would be nice depth adds for us. I’d be okay with either, especially with acquiring one to fill out the left side into next season as well.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Unload any and all assets to improve the team. I don’t care about CMM or Lapierre. Neither help Ovi get another cup so therefore they are fair game, same with any draft picks. Y’all are sitting on the fence here. Go for it or start your re-tool. Sprong should be nowhere near a playoff line-up and god knows if we stick with what we have Lavi will only play three lines.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Unload any and all assets to improve the team. I don’t care about CMM or Lapierre. Neither help Ovi get another cup so therefore they are fair game, same with any draft picks.
We could also have shipped off Vrana and Burakovsky for rentals in 2018, and we might not have won a Cup.

Seems incredibly shortsighted to think CMM and Lapi couldn’t help bring Ovi another Cup. Perhaps they won’t be primary contributors this year, but who knows what they’ll be next year. The Caps’ window closed some years ago and yet here we are. It isn’t sensible to make this team substantially older, slower and less skilled next year, the year after and the year after that - especially when a competitive team helps Ovi break the record - by trading away the few glimmers of hope they have today.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Dermott or Kulak would be nice depth adds for us. I’d be okay with either, especially with acquiring one to fill out the left side into next season as well.
Pass on Dermott. A guy who isn’t defensively trusted by a team with the long-term defensive woes Toronto has, who can’t put up numbers while playing with such high-end talent, and who is still a regular healthy scratch, isn’t a guy I desperately want.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
We could also have shipped off Vrana and Burakovsky for rentals in 2018, and we might not have won a Cup.

Seems incredibly shortsighted to think CMM and Lapi couldn’t help bring Ovi another Cup. Perhaps they won’t be primary contributors this year, but who knows what they’ll be next year. The Caps’ window closed some years ago and yet here we are. It isn’t sensible to make this team substantially older, slower and less skilled next year, the year after and the year after that - especially when a competitive team helps Ovi break the record - by trading away the few glimmers of hope they have today.
Personally , I care about championships more than an individual record. I can tell I am in the minority on that.

It isn’t short sighted. This team will need to re-build at some point. However, where this team is in that arch, I don’t see why anyone would be frightened to trade any asset at this point. They only have so many chances to have a meaningful attempt to win another cup.

Finally the comparison of CMM and Lapierre is non sensical. Burakovsky and Vrana had proven at that point they were both quality NHL players at times. Lapierre and CMM are not there yet.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Personally , I care about championships more than an individual record. I can tell I am in the minority on that.

It isn’t short sighted. This team will need to re-build at some point. However, where this team is in that arch, I don’t see why anyone would be frightened to trade any asset at this point. They only have so many chances to have a meaningful attempt to win another cup.

Finally the comparison of CMM and Lapierre is non sensical. Burakovsky and Vrana had proven at that point they were both quality NHL players at times. Lapierre and CMM are not there yet.

I hear ya, but I think the organization, by cap’ing out with these retirement contracts, cares more about the record, getting fans in the seats and selling merch than really going for another Cup.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t really see any 1 or 2 pieces that are available at this TDL to put us up with TB/FL/CAR/PIT. Maybe this offseason they can try and retool and get a little younger, upgrade goalie depth.

But this year, maybe it’s not so terrible giving a youngster like CMM a chance to breakout in the playoffs (if somehow he can start finishing some of his many chances).

Of course, if someone like a Debrincat (or maybe JT Miller) comes available, then send two first rounders, and CMM for all I care.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

I’m with you on championships vs. records. That said, I feel we can be more competitive year over year if we include youth like CMM and Lapierre. They should really be the only untouchables.

Reactions: Kalopsia

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
First target is to get to the playoffs. Once there, you never know what will happen. But the GM must prepare his team for the opportunity to make some noise. Look at 1998. Better teams lost in early rounds. Detroit was a powerhouse. Even if Esa had potted that goal in game 2 the odds were against the Caps. But winning for the first time ever in a SCF could have provided a major spark, and another tweak here or there may've helped them to win the series.

I expect BMac to make a subtle move or two. Kempney-esque. Only a slim chance of a major acquisition; I expect off-season moves to be where real changes happen.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I want cups over the record too, but you can’t do that with all vet contracts. Especially with the Ovie/Backy contracts. We need good young players not just for the style of play of todays game, but to make the salary cap work. Besides I really don’t like much of what’s on the market this year, and that includes Fluery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad