Post-Game Talk: 2022 NHL Playoffs - Round 3: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Rangers | 4-2 WIN

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think this is our first deep run since I've been a fan where I don't think a single player isn't pulling their weight, or, at the very least, living up to their contract. I know some people will disagree with that, but I feel like we have made up for the off-season losses by every single player finding a way to contribute.

I mean, yeah, I know, Cirelli and Killorn haven't been scoring, and I've been pretty vocal in my criticism of Cirelli, ...but... I don't think we beat the Leafs without him and Point shutting down Matthews and Marner in the later stages of the series. Killorn isn't scoring but he's also no longer on the first PP unit, which I think is more about how well Drej is playing than anything with Killorn. Seems to me like Killer has been instrumental in keeping the opposition at bay.

As for Hagel, even with 21 goals in Chicago, I never saw him as a big scorer because we just don't have that role open for him. He will be more of an energy guy here, and I think he has gotten better and better as the playoffs have gone on,, even if he's not scoring. I mean, for as fondly as we remember Yanni Gourde, he didn't actually score all that much in the playoffs. And if we're expecting Hagel to be as good as Gourde, I think we are expecting too much.

The big one is Stamkos. I think he's another guy who's gotten better as the playoffs have gone on. There were times in the Leafs' series where I was disappointed because plays seemed to die on his stick. He seemed to struggle with how quickly he needed to make decisions. But man, he has been dynamite in this NYR series, which is obviously not a slow paced series. I know he's not scoring a whole lot more than he did last year, but to me it feels like a night and day difference. He's scoring BIG goals now, and coming through in key moments, and you can finally SEE him playing with heart. He's gutting it out and playing with desperation when desperation is needed. I think this series in particular is where we've really seen Stammer elevate his game and be elite when we NEED him to be elite. And, especially with the Point injury, we have needed Regular Season Stamkos to show up in the playoffs, and he has.

It just feels really good to be a Lightning fan right now. Even if we lose. The past few years are pretty much peak hockey fandom.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Good post! But Killer can’t finish these playoffs with 0 goals. Even the fourth line guys have a couple between them.
Yeah, but at the same time, I feel like he's having a solid impact most nights, especially now where he's in a key match up and helping neutralize NY's big line.

Reactions: Hoek

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Good post! But Killer can’t finish these playoffs with 0 goals. Even the fourth line guys have a couple between them.
Speaking of posts, Hagel was this close to breaking his slump

Yeah, but at the same time, I feel like he's having a solid impact most nights, especially now where he's in a key match up and helping neutralize NY's big line.
The good thing is they’re not letting it effect the rest of their play. Coop pretty much was like “I don’t care” to the media the other day when asked about that trios offensive woes.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Speaking of posts, Hagel was this close to breaking his slump

The good thing is they’re not letting it effect the rest of their play. Coop pretty much was like “I don’t care” to the media the other day when asked about that trios offensive woes.

They start 60% of their shifts in the defensive zone and have had a revolving door of right wingers since Point went out. Killorn and Cirelli are fine - they're tasked with replacing what the Gourde line was doing defensively while being staples on the best PK left in the playoffs. If we're crying about offensive woes, it starts with Stamkos and Hagel - both of which have had numerous game tilting chances and continuously blow them.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Wanna go to the SCF?
Stay out of the box and we got this.

That's exactly what I meant when I said the Rangers are getting obliterated at even strength. Another one : Tampa's xGf% is twice higher than New York's, that's ridiculously one-sided.
And yet the Rangers have scored 8 ES goals to 6 for us so far. Do you want to know what is the good news tho ? they scored all their 8 ES goals in the first 2 games.
I know this is a skill based game but at some point they might also run out of luck.

Coop, I know you read us : Stay. Out. Of. The. Box.

Tim Smith

Jun 24, 2021
he seemed to have had an extra gear last night which helped put pressure on the Rangers

bodi

May 14, 2016
We will win the series if we win a game at home. There's no chance to win two away games if we lose at home, I think.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think this is our first deep run since I've been a fan where I don't think a single player isn't pulling their weight, or, at the very least, living up to their contract. I know some people will disagree with that, but I feel like we have made up for the off-season losses by every single player finding a way to contribute.

I mean, yeah, I know, Cirelli and Killorn haven't been scoring, and I've been pretty vocal in my criticism of Cirelli, ...but... I don't think we beat the Leafs without him and Point shutting down Matthews and Marner in the later stages of the series. Killorn isn't scoring but he's also no longer on the first PP unit, which I think is more about how well Drej is playing than anything with Killorn. Seems to me like Killer has been instrumental in keeping the opposition at bay.

As for Hagel, even with 21 goals in Chicago, I never saw him as a big scorer because we just don't have that role open for him. He will be more of an energy guy here, and I think he has gotten better and better as the playoffs have gone on,, even if he's not scoring. I mean, for as fondly as we remember Yanni Gourde, he didn't actually score all that much in the playoffs. And if we're expecting Hagel to be as good as Gourde, I think we are expecting too much.

The big one is Stamkos. I think he's another guy who's gotten better as the playoffs have gone on. There were times in the Leafs' series where I was disappointed because plays seemed to die on his stick. He seemed to struggle with how quickly he needed to make decisions. But man, he has been dynamite in this NYR series, which is obviously not a slow paced series. I know he's not scoring a whole lot more than he did last year, but to me it feels like a night and day difference. He's scoring BIG goals now, and coming through in key moments, and you can finally SEE him playing with heart. He's gutting it out and playing with desperation when desperation is needed. I think this series in particular is where we've really seen Stammer elevate his game and be elite when we NEED him to be elite. And, especially with the Point injury, we have needed Regular Season Stamkos to show up in the playoffs, and he has.

It just feels really good to be a Lightning fan right now. Even if we lose. The past few years are pretty much peak hockey fandom.
great post.

Killorn hasn't been great this year, but he's been turning it up the last few games

bov

Nov 13, 2010
This game epitomized the phrase: "There are levels to this"

Champs took care of business, Colorado is a whole new animal. But this effort gave me hope.

Kuch has the sniffles again and did the postgame, I guess there's some time between now and Wednesday ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good luck going for 3 in a row. It’s hard to dislike your team. I can’t muster up much anger against your players or your fans. Speaking as a neutral, you guys have a very likable team. You won fair and square. Once you guys found your legs late in game two, it was over. We were awful after about five periods of the series. Colorado fans are too arrogant, and I find it to be lacking respect for you guys that they’ve been considered favorites all season for some reason. Should be a good final for the game, although one of these years you gotta let someone else win.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Good luck going for 3 in a row. It’s hard to dislike your team. I can’t muster up much anger against your players or your fans. Speaking as a neutral, you guys have a very likable team. You won fair and square. Once you guys found your legs late in game two, it was over. We were awful after about five periods of the series. Colorado fans are too arrogant, and I find it to be lacking respect for you guys that they’ve been considered favorites all season for some reason. Should be a good final for the game, although one of these years you gotta let someone else win.
Challenge accepted!

Reactions: Peacefool

Fan from AK

May 19, 2021
Alaska
I was working today and on the road to Fairbanks, today getting supplies for my work week while the game was being played. I have only seen the first period so far on replay. Please excuse me if I was WOWED by the play of Riley Nash so far in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad