2022 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
?

I mean like, I don’t delve into prospects and look further at people I’d target with Sabres picks until the weather starts getting colder and I’m inside more.

Of course, this is all irrelevant if you live in the Southern Hemisphere where the seasons flip
Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I don't follow draft eligible prospects much until after the draft lottery.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
These are the 12 players I'm most interested in for the upcoming draft, based on the video/write-up scouting online. These aren't the top 12, more like those I would target in the 1st and 2nd round (top half of the 2nd, none of these guys will last to the bottom half).

1st overall - Wright

2nd or 3rd overall - Lambert/Savoie

4th or 5th or 6th overall - Nemec or Miroschniechenko. Nemec fills the need at RHD but Miroschniechenko is already in the conversation for 2nd/3rd overall and maybe too good to pass on.

If we add a pick that turns into something in the 7th to 21st overall range (Florida I think will be 22nd or lower)...
*Ryan Chesley - He has surpassed Jiricek to be my 2nd RHD on the board. He can really skate and he can hit. Not a guy to put up a lot of points but can puck handle and play PK1. Smart player. Would really fit well with our other D.
*Conor Geekie - He's a popular one on these boards. Big boy. Draisaitl-lite.
*Juraj Slafkovsky - LW. He may actually be a can't miss power forward, like for real. We've drafted a lot of skilled wingers and could use a net-front presence.

With the Florida pick...
*Nathan Gaucher - A big boy like Geekie but this is the sort of 3rd line center you would want a Stanley Cup contender. Strong defensive chops but definitely plays a 2-way game. A Toews-extra-lite.
*Lian Bischel - Yes, we don't need another LHD, but I really liked what I saw at the under-18. He's mean, almost as big as Owen Power, but mean. I liked his skating. I just like this player.

With our 2nd (33rd/34th/35th overall)
*Tyler Brennan - Consensus best goalie available. If UPL stagnates this season, I'd get this guy. Even if Portillo has an amazing year. I'm skeptical that Levi will sign after he finishes college.
*Miko Matikka - Right-shot RW. We have a few high-end left-shot RW prospects. Liked what I saw at the under-18s, and he just puts up points. High skill level so Sabres should like him a lot.

Bottom line is, our 1st pick just has to be a center, and I'm 85% confident that we will be in the top-3 picks.

If we are 4th/5th/6th, it's likely that either Lambert/Savoie will fall to 4th. Meaning I think it very likely that Nemec or Miroalphabet goes 3rd overall. If we are 5th or 6th I would see if trading up to 4th is possible so as to not miss out on Lambert/Savoie. That would be an expensive move-up. But we gotta grab a center.

But if we don't, Nemec/Mirorussian are gonna be great great NHL players. Find a different way to get a center. Right now I've a 2nd tier of Lambert/Savoie/Nemec/Miro. With a top-5 pick you really should go best available.

With an Eichel trade, I would hope that the 2022 1st would turn into Chesley/Geekie/Slafkovsky. All 3 are can't miss prospects who will fill very important needs and roles on what will be a competitive Sabres roster in a few years.

Florida pick will ideally be Gaucher (maybe he goes in the 22-28 range?)

If we have three 1st round picks, using the 33rd/34th/35th overall on Brennan would be fine by me, especially if UPL disappoints.

I'm pretty sure Rob Ray will just quit if we draft Miroschniechenko so that's who I whole-heartedly endorse.

Reactions: MacOfNiagara

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

I can see Nemec jumping a couple of the center prospects as he's impressive. I don't get the same feeling with Yurov due to positional bias, and contract uncertainty with how long before he can come over.

Now a good question is who would you rather have between Cooley and Geekie. Cooley gives off that Point vibe while Geekie is that huge 200' 1C

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

p0nchik

Jul 24, 2021
You know what I love about this other than the fact the Sabres are probably walking out of here with two elite if not franchise level or generational talents in 2022 and 2023, it's that Slovakia hockey is back on the menu, boys!

Raul Yakupov at eliteprospects.com

Nail's cousin, Rail's nephew, Raul Yakupov is draft-eligible this year. Yes, you read that right. If Nail wasn't a strange enough Russian name, now we have a Raul. No notes on him. Just noticed him now. Already averaging 2 ppg in the MHL!

Reactions: elchud

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You know what I love about this other than the fact the Sabres are probably walking out of here with two elite if not franchise level or generational talents in 2022 and 2023, it's that Slovakia hockey is back on the menu, boys!

Raul Yakupov at eliteprospects.com

Nail's cousin, Rail's nephew, Raul Yakupov is draft-eligible this year. Yes, you read that right. If Nail wasn't a strange enough Russian name, now we have a Raul. No notes on him. Just noticed him now. Already averaging 2 ppg in the MHL!
Next year you'll have Dvorsky pushing for top 3 draft slot. This year Jiricek and Slafkovsky are potential top 10 selections so it's been awhile

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
No it has to be paid by the player, so either he has the cash in hand or makes a deal with the Russian mob

Lol, there is no Russian mob... Or rather it's about as noticeable as Italian mafia in America.

Russian rules don't prevent NHL clubs from helping players to buy their contracts out. As far as I know, NHL rules do.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Does anyone know if there is an out clause in his SKA Petersburg contract that allows him to join the NHL before his contract ends?

Russian contracts almost never have that because there's no transfer agreement in place between the KHL and NHL. Russian players who want to come over early have to buy out their own contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad