2022 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The odds of this are really minute. Especially with some real bottom feeders such as Arizina, possibly Seattle, etc who are probably going to be worse than us. I'd be extremely surprised if we finished last for the next two seasons to maximise those odds.

But I'm sure it's enough for many here to embrace the tank while Dahlin's already on his second contract... :shakehead

FWIW - although it seems that Adams is stockpiling futures - i can't see the wider fanbase accepting another blatant tank. Not when the last one went so badly & when we have missed the playoffs for so long. I don't think Dahlin will accept it (nor should he) & i don't think management can afford it turning into the same outcome.
Unless Buffalo gets 2 quality goalies they will be worse than Seattle and Arizona.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The odds of this are really minute. Especially with some real bottom feeders such as Arizina, possibly Seattle, etc who are probably going to be worse than us. I'd be extremely surprised if we finished last for the next two seasons to maximise those odds.

But I'm sure it's enough for many here to embrace the tank while Dahlin's already on his second contract... :shakehead

FWIW - although it seems that Adams is stockpiling futures - i can't see the wider fanbase accepting another blatant tank. Not when the last one went so badly & when we have missed the playoffs for so long. I don't think Dahlin will accept it (nor should he) & i don't think management can afford it turning into the same outcome.
The odds of Buffalo winning the next two lotteries are indeed minute, but driven by the distribution of odds, and the required combination of winning both draws, not because their talent level and performance will rise high enough to drop their lottery odds to the mid-to-low-single digits either year.

I don't think BUF needs to consciously tank to be a bottom feeder the next two seasons. AS @Old Navy Goat notes, their goaltending will go along way toward their moving off the bottom of the ladder. Assuming Eichel is gone, with Reinhart gone as well, and acknowledging the likelihood any Eichel return is futures-loaded and near-term filler is middling talent, I expect BUF will barely scratch 2 goals per game and give up more than 3 per game, even if Granato plays it wide open. I expect a goal differential of more than 100 this coming season. I don't expect free agency or the Eichel return to change it significantly this year, or next. Maybe next season (edit '22-23) the goal differential closes to -60 or -70. Still easily bottom 3 in the league. Maybe UFA and trade returns will blow me away, but from just organic growth from current assets, it's going to be 3 seasons until the collective unit can move anywhere close to respectability. IIRC from an analysis I did a few years ago, team year-over-year changes in goal differential of >40 are rare.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Arizona dropped 87 GD from 2013/14 to 2014/15. Yet the Sabres are the ones who tanked.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Are we even allowed to win the lottery next year?

Yes. The lottery rule goes into effect next year but also doesn't apply to teams who finish last - the rule is that you can't move up twice in a row.

Edit: I might be wrong about the last part. The wording is a bit unclear.

"The NHL ruled that a franchise can win the lottery no more than twice in a five-year span. That isn't exclusive to the first overall pick: It means a team can't advance by reason of lottery win more than twice in a five-year span."

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Early word is this draft is bonkers.

Wright, Savoie, Lambert all getting hype as potential 1C's.

Forward depth in the top 15 seems insane.

Could be a real good draft to have several 1sts.

Name's I've been told to watch:

Forwards:

Shane Wright
Brad Lambert
Matthew Savoie
Rutger McGroarty
Ivan Miroshnichenko
Juraj Slafkovsky
Frank Nazar
Jack Devine
Jack Hughes
Maddox Fleming
Conor Geekie

Defenseman:

Simon Nemec
Seamus Casey
Tristan Luneau

Unless the young Sabres develop real fast, the Sabres likely walk away from this draft with Wright, Lambert, or Savoie. Which basically resets centers for the Sabres no matter who they get for Eichel.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Are we even allowed to win the lottery next year?
Yes, you can’t advance in the draft lottery more than 2 years over a 5 year period. This rule starts with the next lottery. Let’s say the Sabres are last in the league and they win the lottery. It doesn’t count towards this rule since they didn’t advance in the draft.

Reactions: stokes84

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
If the Sabres walk away with Slafkovsky in 22, and Fantilli or Dvorsky in 2023 wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world (for the team).

Watching the team will be brutal though.

And Arjun Bawa should be someone they target in the 4th round of 2023. He’s already a huge 6’2, and if he plays anything like his dad, he’ll be perfect for today’s NHL.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
imagine winning both the '22 and '23 lottery somehow and this team becomes unstoppable for 10 years. Never would happen but it would be so funny to have everyone complaining worse than EDM winning 4

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
imagine winning both the '22 and '23 lottery somehow and this team becomes unstoppable for 10 years. Never would happen but it would be so funny to have everyone complaining worse than EDM winning 4

I want to see Florida implode and the Sabres get Bedard with the pick from the Reinhart deal.

:lol:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
In 2022 yes.

In 2023 (the Bedard draft year) there is no protection.

It won't happen, but if Florida implodes, that pick can win the 2023 lottery for the Sabres if it slides.

Imagine the anger if the Florida pick wins 1st overall and the Sabres get 2nd in 2023.

Best part is that it wouldn’t count as a lottery win for the Sabres.

Reactions: Jim Bob

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
If nothing else it looks like a very good time to be restarting and having multiple picks. Exciting future for the team, hopefully.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Is there a new rule going into effect in 2022 where a team can’t win the lottery more than 2 times in a 5 year period? If so, does that start fresh in 2022 or count the years leading up to 2022? Thanks

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wright would be like getting Eichel but with high character and leadership skills. He was Captain and leader of the U18 team as an underage player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad