NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
After thinking about who I like from this draft and who this team might actually draft based on inherent-biases to some traits, I've made a prediction on who I think this team will pick considering where they might finish as well (probably not top-3).

I would be extremely happy and confident if they were to pick either Cooley (forward) or Nemec (defense).

But who do you think Dorion will pick?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
But who do you think Dorion will pick?

One of the two mentioned. I would lean more towards Nemec, because if I were to bet I think Dorion is happy with the amount of forwards being developed in both the AHL and the minors. Adding Nemec to "replace" Sanderson should be the move.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
One of the two mentioned. I would lean more towards Nemec, because if I were to bet I think Dorion is happy with the amount of forwards being developed in both the AHL and the minors. Adding Nemec to "replace" Sanderson should be the move.

"to replace Sanderson"? or to replace Zaitsev in 2 years?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Got to hope Buffalo (.417), Philadelphia (.406), and New Jersey (.390) somehow win a lot of their games as our point percentage is .413. I guess you could throw Chicago .439 in there as well.
I’ll stand by my preseason prediction. We will finish 10th or 11th in the conference.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
If the Senators were to win the draft lottery, would you guys be willing to trade down or draft another centre in Wright?

Assuming Wright would be #1 on our draft board of course.

Someone more knowledgeable let me know, what would the + to a top 10 pick be for another team to take our 1OA.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
If the Senators were to win the draft lottery, would you guys be willing to trade down or draft another centre in Wright?

Someone more knowledgeable let me know, what would the + to a top 10 pick be for another team to take our 1OA.

1oa to 3-4oa would be worth it if ìt came with a couple of 1sts or a good RW/RD prospect attached to it. Otherwise, no, just take the guy you like the most and move on.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
1oa to 3-4oa would be worth it if ìt came with a couple of 1sts or a good RW/RD prospect attached to it. Otherwise, no, just take the guy you like the most and move on.

Yeah, I really don’t want us to try to be the smartest team in the room again.

Reactions: NyQuil

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

I think there's a debate to be had if Wright should be the #1 pick if we were to land it.

You could make the case for Nemec or Slafkovsky.

This feels a bit like the Hischier draft. Wright is a very good, safe player. A surefire top 6 C. But there are higher potential guys available, they're just bigger gambles.

Personally I'd go with Nemec.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Detroit falls. Their -30 goal differential should not have them at a PPG. Big fall coming IMO.
Its possible. I just think its hard to pass those 500 teams at this point. Every Sens loss hurts them to do that now. Sens could be -30 or more at the 50 game mark with Chabot out this week. The isles have been on a bit of a skid and will likely be sellers at the TDL so they could possibly catch them .. If the Sens can manage a 500 record over the next 36 games they'd be at 74 pts. Isles would need 34 pts in 39 games to tie that
Wings need 24 pts in 32 games. Sens have been playing comparatively good hockey lately. They are 4-5-1 in their last 10.

Reactions: GCK and Dan Patrick

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I think there's a debate to be had if Wright should be the #1 pick if we were to land it.

This feels a bit like the Hischier draft. Wright is a very good, safe player. A surefire top 6 C. But there are higher potential guys available, they're just bigger gambles.

Nemec is probably the better D-men for our situation.

Chabot-Nemec
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-JBD/Thompson

I feel like Nemec and Jiricek are Luxuries and it's why I'm not as enamored picking them(although they would give us a future Top 5 D of the future and am ok with them).

Slafkovsky and Kemell are my favorites, guy needs help.

I'm still of the belief that a future line of

Jarvente-Stutzle-Kemell

Or

Slafkovsky-Stutzle-Greig

Would be a better fit for us.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I would pretty strongly disagree. The Hischier draft was hardly ever really "the Hischier draft." Can't remember exactly when he became the consensus favorite for first overall, but don't believe he was coming into the season. If my memory serves correctly, it was around World Juniors. Certainly Nolan Patrick was considered the overwhelming favorite as of their d-1 years. Wright has always been the guy. Was consensus 1st overall since he was 15. Brick Invitational, WSIs, CWGs, he dominated at every level, often under-aged. By U17s he was arguably the best all-around player in the tournament, under-age. Then U18s, there's an argument to be made for generational prospects Bedard and Michkov, but Wright was probably the best all-around player in the tournament, again under-aged.

He's not the flashiest player, but he's closer to Tavares/Stamkos/MacKinnon level prospect than he is to Hischier. I believe he has significantly higher offensive upside than Bergeron or Toews. Best comparison I've seen was to Steve Yzerman, but even that is imperfect. For a sturdy, powerful, quick center, the down-low puck-protect game isn't really his bread and butter, a la Crosby or Peter Forsberg. He's more of that new-age smooth-skating open-ice puck-possession player, a la Barzal or Stutzle. Actually I guess Stutzle wouldn't be a bad comparison. Stutzle would have to have been considered a somewhat better skater at the same age and probably a better playmaker, but Wright is stronger than Stutzle was at this age, and a much better finisher and defensive forward.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

If we get #1 in the lottery there are a bunch of things I would be willing to do but so much is dependant on the final draft positions.

For example

To Buffalo - 1OA

To Ottawa - Jack Quinn + 1st round pick. This assumes the Sabres have a pick in the top 9 this year. Not sure the Sabres do it.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Slafkovsky is by far my favourite and I'm low key upset that he's is having such a good tournament because he probably just fell out of our range.

I can't get over how smooth he moves for someone of his size, blows my mind every time I watch him. No chance he doesn't go top 4 at this point, our only hope is winning the lottery.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yurov has 13 points in his last 5 MHL games and is now up to 34 points in 21 games after a slow start.

I'm curious if he'll be someone we're seriously interested in with our 1st. We haven't drafted out of Russia since 2005, but we've definitely become more Russian-friendly in the past 5 years and he would fill a need as a big RW/LW with high upside,

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

We could use another top line center, a scoring power forward and a two way RD. I do not see enough of the potential draft picks to have an informed opinion, so I tend to support taking the consensus BPA from reputable draft rankings at the position of our draft pick. At this time, Wright seems to be the consensus top pick so if we win the lottery and get the first OA pick, White would be the guy.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Yurov has 13 points in his last 5 MHL games and is now up to 34 points in 21 games after a slow start.

I'm curious if he'll be someone we're seriously interested in with our 1st. We haven't drafted out of Russia since 2005, but we've definitely become more Russian-friendly in the past 5 years and he would fill a need as a big RW/LW with high upside,

He didn’t start slow. He started the year on a 7 game point streak.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He didn’t start slow. He started the year on a 7 game point streak.

He was producing around 1 point per game for most of the year up until the last time he was sent down from the KHL.

That's not where you want his production to be as a potential top 5 pick playing in the MHL in his 18YR old season.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
We could use another top line center, a scoring power forward and a two way RD. I do not see enough of the potential draft picks to have an informed opinion, so I tend to support taking the consensus BPA from reputable draft rankings at the position of our draft pick. At this time, Wright seems to be the consensus top pick so if we win the lottery and get the first OA pick, White would be the guy.

Cooley,Wright for Top line C
Slafkovsky as a scoring PF
Nemec as Two Way RHD

Since 6"1 is the average height of an NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad