NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Next up, the big d men out of the WHL: Simon Kubicek and Joe Arntsen. Both had 7 fights this season so I will only include a few here.

Surprise, surprise...the two actually fought each other this season.

Joe Arntsen is a huge sleeper in my mind. Not only is he the baddest dude in the WHL by far but he showed tremendous growth in his game throughout the season. He had 22 points in the last 30 games of the season once he started getting more offensive touches. Fearless shot blocker and high-end penalty killer. Captain of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Gives off those Mark Borowiecki/Brendan Witt vibes.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Should note that Jeff Marek speculated on his most recent podcast that Ottawa would sprint to the stage if Marco Kasper was still there at #7 which aligns with what we heard after the combine interviews.
There are a few guys that would be interesting after if the first six are taken but I hold out hope that one team ahead of us goes off the board & one of those top six falls to us, especially Gauthier or Jiricek. If they end up with a forward with their first pick, I hope they do something to add Tristan Luneau RD with their next selection.
You love to hear it.
I'd love to hear them say they selected Cutter Gauthier or David Jiricek myself.
That will be fun next year watching Kasper in between Boucher on the 67’s top line, with both guys apart of the Sens.

That is very telling, that he was taken by the 67’s.
Add Stonehouse to the left side & that would be a pretty iritating line to play against with some scoring ability.
It was speculated he'd be our likely target around here for a while now. What I find interesting about the claim is not that we like him, but that we apparently think so high of him that we'd run to the stage which suggests we think he has a good chance of being off the board when we pick and the if he is we'd be disappointed.

If Kasper is gone, that means one of Gauthier, Nemec, Jiricek, or Cooley is available. So are we higher on Kasper than them? That's the part that's intriguing.
God I hope not, I want one of Jiricek or Gauthier way before Kaspar.

Reactions: Cosmix

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Did a mock draft and heres what I got:

7. Marco Kasper, C Rogle
39. Noah Warren, RHD Gatineau
64. Devin Kaplan, RW USNTDP
72. Vinzenz Roher, RW Ottawa
87. Fabian Wagner, LW Linkoping
136. Brennan Ali, C Avon Old Farms School
143. Niklas Kokko, G Karpat
151. Garrett Brown, RHD Sioux City
168. Brady Stonehouse, RW Ottawa
206. Parker Bell, LW Tri City

A few picks I really like in there, trying to keep it somewhat realistic.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sign me up for Gleb Veremyev. He is fearless and a pretty good fighter. Would be a great addition on the 3rd pair D.
Gleb Veremyev is actually a powerforward. He models his game off of the Tkachuk brothers and Jordan Greenway. If you go a few pages back in this thread I posted the Biosteel All American Game which he played in and another post of game highlights from the Lincoln Stars showing some of his goals.

I am intrigued with him as a prospect. He is raw and a bit of a project but I see something there. I think as he physically matures he will get more coordinated and could have some big leaps in his development. He could improve his skating but he actually has decent mobility and speed. He is most effective below the dots and around the net where he showcases decent vision and passing ability. He scores most of his goals up close. He has good hand eye coordination as is is really effective at deflections and tips. He can also score from a distance nd uses the opposition defenders to hide his shot.

Most notably is that he is a big hitter and he throws the body consistently. He was running guys over in the Biosteel All American Game. He reminds me of Brady Tkachuk so I could see him being developed into a middle six/bottom six version of him.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Joe Arntsen is a huge sleeper in my mind. Not only is he the baddest dude in the WHL by far but he showed tremendous growth in his game throughout the season. He had 22 points in the last 30 games of the season once he started getting more offensive touches. Fearless shot blocker and high-end penalty killer. Captain of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Gives off those Mark Borowiecki/Brendan Witt vibes.
Yeah he is a tough kid and looks like he could become a solid depth d man. As you were saying about him being a fearless shot blocker.

He also is capable of jumping up into the offensive zone when and opportunity presents itself.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gleb Veremyev is actually a powerforward. He models his game off of the Tkachuk brothers and Jordan Greenway. If you go a few pages back in this thread I posted the Biosteel All American Game which he played in and another post of game highlights from the Lincoln Stars showing some of his goals.

I am intrigued with him as a prospect. He is raw and a bit of a project but I see something there. I think as he physically matures he will get more coordinated and could have some big leaps in his development. He could improve his skating but he actually has decent mobility and speed. He is most effective below the dots and around the net where he showcases decent vision and passing ability. He scores most of his goals up close. He has good hand eye coordination as is is really effective at deflections and tips. He can also score from a distance nd uses the opposition defenders to hide his shot.

Most notably is that he is a big hitter and he throws the body consistently. He was running guys over in the Biosteel All American Game. He reminds me of Brady Tkachuk so I could see him being developed into a middle six/bottom six version of him.

Glad to hear he is an F instead of a D as I prefer to have our policemen play forward than D.

I assumed he was a D based on a video of the fisticuffs when he hit someone from the RD position in the O zone.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I like it....but disappointed to see that Lian Bichsel kid ranked 13. Was really hoping that kid would be a around in the second round so we could grab him. Dude sounds like he'd be a major force on the blueline in a few years.
I'm not sure where Bichsel will go in this draft. The various rankings seem to have him all over the place. Some see him as going in the teens, others in the late first round and others have him available in the 2nd round. Maybe the Sens will have a chance at drafting him or consider trading up to get him or maybe he will go earlier like some of the rankings suggest.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I’ve been high on Kasper for months. Predicted he could be top 5 player when looking back at this draft.

Wouldn’t be least bit surprised to see Senators high on him as well. Plays our game to a T. He is also much more closer to NHL than other prospects due to his mature and complete game + attention to detail. It’s why he thrived in playoffs in SHL and was notable in WC’s.

Based on the video I saw, Kasper seems to have VG acceleration and speed, VG puck handling and shows a lot of hustle and drives to the net.

R2010

May 23, 2011
It was speculated he'd be our likely target around here for a while now. What I find interesting about the claim is not that we like him, but that we apparently think so high of him that we'd run to the stage which suggests we think he has a good chance of being off the board when we pick and the if he is we'd be disappointed.

If Kasper is gone, that means one of Gauthier, Nemec, Jiricek, or Cooley is available. So are we higher on Kasper than them? That's the part that's intriguing.

On Bob's list he was ranked as high as #5 by an NHL team so seems plausible. Interesting. Some of the discussion around him reminds me of the Lundell talk.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DraftPro Draft Simulator using McKenzie's Final Rankings;

1656805353204.png

Reactions: Cosmix and edguy

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
In the show, do you guys see Kaspar as a center or does he get moved to wing?

Also how far apart are Lekerimaaki and Kaspar in your eyes? JL seems to have a lethal shot that is missing from Kaspars game

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Id really love to get a dman with our first pick. Reading Simon St-Laurent's write up maybe we can say that by including Korchinski, if any of the 3 dmen are there at 7 we should run to the stage?

Reactions: DrEasy

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Id really love to get a dman with our first pick. Reading Simon St-Laurent's write up maybe we can say that by including Korchinski, if any of the 3 dmen are there at 7 we should run to the stage?

Personally I pass on LHD at the top of the draft, we have depth galore on the left side. I'd rather pick an equal quality forward or if one of the 2 RHDs are available.

Reactions: bert

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Also how far apart are Lekerimaaki and Kaspar in your eyes? JL seems to have a lethal shot that is missing from Kaspars game
I think Kasper could play either center or wing. It's possible teams might want him on the wing because with his size, intensity, balance and willingness to engage physically he's going to win a ton of puck battles. He'd also be an absolute menace bearing down on defensemen as F1 on the forecheck. Being on the wing might allow him to score dirty goals in tight because, as you've alluded too, he's not a shooting threat and may never be.

On the other hand, with the way he was skating through the middle of the ice and making plays at high speed in the SHL playoffs and World Championships makes you think he could potentially be a high quality puck transporter at playmaker at C. Has potential to be a matchup guy in the middle.

Lekkerimaki might have the best shot in the draft. The way he engages his top hand on the stick to create force is really unusual - it creates a lot of deception on his shot and it explodes off his stick. He has the potential to score a lot of goals in the NHL. I'm not sure he'll ever drive possession because he'll probably never be an exceptional forechecker and I'm not sure his feel for utilizing his linemates is that great. Going to have to learn how to fight through checks better as well.

Hard to say how far apart they are because they project to be so different. I think Kasper has basically no risk associated with him which might count for a lot.

Reactions: Cosmix and senswon

R2010

May 23, 2011
Mark talks about Marco Kasper, Jonathan Lekkerimäki, Owen Pickering, Adam Sýkora and Vinzenz Rohrer from the Ottawa 67’s.

Jérôme gives some insight on Ivan Miroshnichenko, Isaac Howard, Ryan Chesley, Danila Yurov and Sam Rinzel.

If Mark Edwards have Kasper at 7 (they do) then i'm A-Okay with taking him there.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What a weird mock. Wright at 4 is a jaw-dropper. Pronman usually knows his shit, too, so I wonder just how off-the-rails this whole draft could get... or if he's being told to be more controversial for clicks.

I'm starting to get the feeling something happened either at or just before the combine that hurt Wright. Perhaps his "I deserve to go #1" interview and attitude ruffled the wrong feathers.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'm starting to get the feeling something happened either at or just before the combine that hurt Wright. Perhaps his "I deserve to go #1" interview and attitude ruffled the wrong feathers.
As many know - development isn’t linear and it varies from person to person. Some peak at an earlier age - others it takes a few years to reach their potential.

Some players are like Drake Batherson - who many Sens fans know had one of the craziest development curves in recent memory.

Others are like Curtis Lazar - guys that peak at an early age and don’t improve much past that.

Wright this year has looked like a player in which his development has stagnated and other kids have caught up. It is also worth noting how overrated Wright’s “Exceptional Status” tag is. If he would have been born one day earlier - he wouldn’t have needed exceptional status to play in the OHL. His development curve is doing just that - starting to curve.

Of course that is only my opinion on the matter.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's the finish that seems lacking. He has a high floor to be sure. It's not a risky pick (worst case for him seems to be 3rd liner in the NHL), but it's not an exciting one either IMO.
I see a grinder. Flashy to the eye because he is everywhere but he accomplishes very little for how much noise he's making. Don't see alot of high end hockey sense. Getting Michael McLeod vibes personally. If be very dissapointed if that's who the sens pick. He is going to be an NHL player but this organization has alot of that. They have their centers. This team lacks offensively creative and gifted players. They need game breaking abilities. I simply don't see them. I see Darren Helm.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I think they are opposite style players. Personally prefer Lekkerimaki. Doesn't need to be skating 100 miles an hour to be effective. He can wait in the weeds and get away from his check to score. Better shot, better passer, natural scoring winger. Kasper has a great motor, hard to play against. Easy player to identify imho.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
If Jiricek isn't available I hope Cutter Gauthier is available. If he's not then Kemell is a fine option.

If Kemell goes to the CHL he plays with Connor Bedard.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle -Bedard-Kemell
Formenton-Pinto-Greig

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's the finish that seems lacking. He has a high floor to be sure. It's not a risky pick (worst case for him seems to be 3rd liner in the NHL), but it's not an exciting one either IMO.

So far, the "exciting" picks for me are: Slafkovsky, Cooley and Nemec. :)

Wright was underwhelming in my very limited viewings so far.

We are getting an excellent player at 7. Can’t wait.

Hopefully it is not Jack Reacher! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad