GDT: 2022 NHL Draft Rounds 2-7 (CBJ select David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk in R1), 11 AM EST (NHLN, ESPN+)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I've been in London this week so I have missed all the draft stuff....catching up now and on a 1-10, I would say 8 just because I was hoping for a deal of some sort to add an NHL'er now, but there is still time for that and as for as the players they picked go, I have zero issues.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I would use on Jiricek and Mateychuk ¨Yzermanization¨ procedure, which is procedure of sending defense prospects to Rogle BK or Frolunda HC.

Swedish or Finnish league would make a lot of sense for these two to take the next step. Tappara would be optimal for me to watch them 😉

Reactions: tunnelvision

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Day 1 Draft Grade - Winners
Day 2 Draft Grade - Overtime Winners (with the Jordan Dumais selection)

B506EB05-F6EF-4CBD-956B-BE179132D2B1.jpeg
6F8F0A62-7D03-498C-B7B0-96DD58D2AD15.jpeg
CD5296D6-7620-48FC-881E-83781026A530.jpeg

MOD EDIT:
Sources:

Last edited by a moderator:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We made the winners portion of a couple of articles reviewing the draft:

Winner: Columbus Blue Jackets​

The other team I wanted to highlight that made excellent use of their two first-round picks is the Blue Jackets. Columbus went back-to-back defensemen at No. 6 and No. 12, taking David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk.

The Jiricek pick was a no-brainer. With the Flyers electing instead to take NTDP product Cutter Gauthier at No. 5, it opened the door for Columbus to address the blue line and take Jiricek. He and Simon Nemec were the clear-cut No. 1-2 defensive prospects in the draft class and Columbus smartly grabbed him at No. 6.

With Mateychuk, he's a player I really liked, but didn't think someone would take until after No. 15 or so. But Columbus stepped up and grabbed the smooth-skater defender at No. 12. It's two picks that solve the Blue Jackets' biggest problem, each bringing different tools and skill sets to the organization.

———————————————

Winner: Columbus’ defense​

If you are paying attention to them the Columbus Blue Jackets have a strong outlook. Patrik Laine looks rejuvinated there. Zach Werenski is a top-pairing defenseman. And the Seth Jones trade might set them up for years with Cole Sillinger, Adam Boqvist, and Jake Bean (acquired for a second-round pick they got in the Jones trade) already to show for it. That bounty grew on Thursday when they picked David Jiříček with the No. 6 overall pick they acquired in the Jones trade. There is a belief Jiříček might have the highest potential of any defender in the draft. They followed that up at No. 12 overall by taking Denton Mateychuk who is enormous offensive potential from the blue line. Nothing is a guarantee, but there is a lot of promise there.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Question is why don‘t you trade up and get Beck - when clearly he is worlds better than his Teammate Luca (who most likely wont play center). I am just upset just sitting there if they wanted a center - when we have players we can trade for picks . My frustration lies with not acting - I understand more than most about building from prospects and not chasing FA‘s. Just not going after a few guys who clearly have value.
Jarmo says all the time, you don't draft for today, you take the best players available. Yes we have a logjam at wing now, but we might be in a completely different situation in 2-3 years. Or he works on his skating and remains at center.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Then they're voluntarily going the Edmonton/Buffalo route and we can confidently assume they'll be a place where talent and potential goes to die for the next decade. And given what they pulled to get those Cups, it couldn't happen to a better franchise.
I'm not judging the idea. I'm wondering if that's their plan. Trading Debrincat and Dach certainly seems like signs of that to me. Both are players I would expect to be part of the core they were building in this rebuild. I have to wonder if they are going the Pittsburgh early 2000s, Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto route.

The difference this time versus their last tank and rebuild job in the 2000s is that then they kept a young Keith and Seabrook through the rebuild.

When we point the finger at Edmonton and Buffalo, I think it's only fair to consider Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto and even arguably LA, all of whom purposely tanked and in the first two teams' cases won cups because of their tank jobs.

Given my druthers, I don't want the Jackets to tank. Look at the Bruins and Blues among others who didn't actively tank. They just scouted and developed better.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Extracted profiles from all our drafted guys from the EP Draft Guide and the Black Book and attached 'em.

Note #1: If you're familiar with the Black Book, you know that it doesn't have nice page breaks between player profiles, and this extraction process was whole pages at a time, so this is going to look a little disjointed. If you're not familiar with the Black Book... well, that also applies.

Note #2: Sergei Ivanov was not profiled by either draft guide.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for posting those. They are really good analyses. Much appreciated.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not judging the idea. I'm wondering if that's their plan. Trading Debrincat and Dach certainly seems like signs of that to me. Both are players I would expect to be part of the core they were building in this rebuild. I have to wonder if they are going the Pittsburgh early 2000s, Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto route.

The difference this time versus their last tank and rebuild job in the 2000s is that then they kept a young Keith and Seabrook through the rebuild.

When we point the finger at Edmonton and Buffalo, I think it's only fair to consider Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto and even arguably LA, all of whom purposely tanked and in the first two teams' cases won cups because of their tank jobs.
Pittsburgh was a nothing place for a decade. Ditto Tampa; they had to wait for Stamkos to reach his 30s and got their core players from non-tank drafts. Toronto's first-round failures are now legend. And LA wasn't a deliberate tank; they kept their older veterans to let the kids develop, which is how you're supposed to do it.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Pittsburgh was a nothing place for a decade. Ditto Tampa; they had to wait for Stamkos to reach his 30s and got their core players from non-tank drafts. Toronto's first-round failures are now legend. And LA wasn't a deliberate tank; they kept their older veterans to let the kids develop, which is how you're supposed to do it.
Pittsburgh tanked in the early 2000s and voila drafted Fleury, Malkin and Crosby in successive drafts. 4 seasons after drafting Crosby a Cup. Tampa drafted Stamkos #1, Hedman overall # 2 in successive years and yes it took some time to win a cup, but they were more than just competitive in five years.

Toronto has been a poorly run franchise, but clearly their run of Nylander, Marner and Matthews made them very competitive in a few years.

I understand you hate teams that tank. I'm not a tanking advocate either, but I don't look down my nose at teams that choose that approach. There are risks in any approach. You can be the Oilers who tanked for years but they often weren't years that turned out to have franchise players - until McDavid. Buffalo tanked and didn't win the McDavid lottery. So Edmonton tanked and won the right to draft Nugget-Hopkins and gasp Yakupov. Bad luck and bad timing. It developed a culture of losing in those franchises. Those are the big risks.

Tampa tanked and got a major goal scorer and a Norris calibre defenseman. Pittsburgh, well they loaded up on generational talent. They tanked at the right time and got lucky. Colorado tanked and got a franchise center and franchise defenseman.

We could be Boston and draft a franchise player at #25 overall and a #1 D at #14 overall. Not many teams are able to pull off that level of both scouting and development. I think the teams that are able to do this have large scouting and development budgets. I've never seen the Jackets invest that heavily in scouting or development. They look about mid-level to me.

Frankly we disagree on a major point. There is no way you are supposed to do it.

Let's examine these approaches.
Can you share your definition of tanking? Perhaps our definitions may be different.

How about if you go back to the beginning of the salary cap and list the cup winners, whether they tanked or just drafted later, scouted and developed well.

I'll start by listing Boston as a team who didn't really tank. Detroit who built their team pre-salary cap and may have had the best combination of scouting and development in the league, at a time when few NHL teams seemed to know there were great players outside North America. Arguably, the Blues didn't either - arguably.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pittsburgh tanked in the early 2000s and voila drafted Fleury, Malkin and Crosby in successive drafts. 4 seasons after drafting Crosby a Cup. Tampa drafted Stamkos #1, Hedman overall # 2 in successive years and yes it took some time to win a cup, but they were more than just competitive in five years.

Toronto has been a poorly run franchise, but clearly their run of Nylander, Marner and Matthews made them very competitive in a few years.

I understand you hate teams that tank. I'm not a tanking advocate either, but I don't look down my nose at teams that choose that approach. There are risks in any approach. You can be the Oilers who tanked for years but they often weren't years that turned out to have franchise players - until McDavid. Buffalo tanked and didn't win the McDavid lottery. So Edmonton tanked and won the right to draft Nugget-Hopkins and gasp Yakupov. Bad luck and bad timing. It developed a culture of losing in those franchises. Those are the big risks.

Tampa tanked and got a major goal scorer and a Norris calibre defenseman. Pittsburgh, well they loaded up on generational talent. They tanked at the right time and got lucky. Colorado tanked and got a franchise center and franchise defenseman.

We could be Boston and draft a franchise player at #25 overall and a #1 D at #14 overall. Not many teams are able to pull off that level of both scouting and development. I think the teams that are able to do this have large scouting and development budgets. I've never seen the Jackets invest that heavily in scouting or development. They look about mid-level to me.

Frankly we disagree on a major point. There is no way you are supposed to do it.

Let's examine these approaches.
Can you share your definition of tanking? Perhaps our definitions may be different.

How about if you go back to the beginning of the salary cap and list the cup winners, whether they tanked or just drafted later, scouted and developed well.

I'll start by listing Boston as a team who didn't really tank. Detroit who built their team pre-salary cap and may have had the best combination of scouting and development in the league, at a time when few NHL teams seemed to know there were great players outside North America. Arguably, the Blues didn't either - arguably.
I don't think there's a debate to be had. Tanking is how you kill franchises. I'm not interested in relegislating it because I don't want to deal with the idiots who will be sitting on the sideline so they can cherrypick selective talking points from a discussion, ignore any refuting information, and thereafter spend the entire rest of the season whining incessantly any time we dare to have the audacity to win a game or two because BUT BUT BUT BEDARD HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT BEDARD

No. f*** that. Tanking is evil and destructive and it always will be. To locker rooms, to franchises, to development systems, and to fanbases. And all debating it does is give gambling idiots the opportunity to find tidbits that they can repeat like g-ddamn Furbys in an attempt to rationalize their whining. f*** them, and f*** arming them. It is the single greatest source of stress and frustration as a moderator here for me that professionalism mandates that I allow their toxic garbage to stay becuase it does not actually violate any site rule.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't think there's a debate to be had. Tanking is how you kill franchises. I'm not interested in relegislating it because I don't want to deal with the idiots who will be sitting on the sideline so they can cherrypick selective talking points from a discussion, ignore any refuting information, and thereafter spend the entire rest of the season whining incessantly any time we dare to have the audacity to win a game or two because BUT BUT BUT BEDARD HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT BEDARD

No. f*** that. Tanking is evil and destructive and it always will be. To locker rooms, to franchises, to development systems, and to fanbases. And all debating it does is give gambling idiots the opportunity to find tidbits that they can repeat like g-ddamn Furbys in an attempt to rationalize their whining. f*** them, and f*** arming them. It is the single greatest source of stress and frustration as a moderator here for me that professionalism mandates that I allow their toxic garbage to stay becuase it does not actually violate any site rule.
I have to agree. Besides, most of the guys doing the tanking won't be there when the supposed rise to a competitive team happens. Why would anyone want to waste full seasons of a career to tank for a team that may move them, or not want them when they are ready to get better. I can't understand the logic.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

A good number of teams you're mentioning didn't tank, they just sucked.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is referring to Cam Lawrence and Josh Weissbock, a couple of former Canucks bloggers that do analytics work for the Jackets. I just hope their work is far more advanced than that bad Bader model that gets posted here.

I think the Dumais and Dolzhenkov picks look like more obvious NHLe favorites than the first rounders.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

This is referring to Cam Lawrence and Josh Weissbock, a couple of former Canucks bloggers that do analytics work for the Jackets. I just hope their work is far more advanced than that bad Bader model that gets posted here.

I think the Dumais and Dolzhenkov picks look like more obvious NHLe favorites than the first rounders.

If I remember right their work was already beyond the Bader stuff back when they were just bloggers. I think they do both both amateur and pro scouting stuff for us. The details of their work for us has been something I'm curious about ever since they were hired here. They were given credit for some Panthers roster moves by the scouting/analysis twitter community.

People that know them regard them quite highly so I think we're in good hands. Hopefully they can remain a voice in the room for us long term. The last two drafts have seemed very good for us. They've received countless co-signs from hockey voices I respect so I'm led to believe they truly are world-class at that stuff.

Reactions: majormajor
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
A good number of teams you're mentioning didn't tank, they just sucked.
This whole conversation is too emotionally charged. Yes those teams sucked. Did they do everything in their power to improve their ability to compete?

Pittsburgh clearly tanked. Tampa had inept ownership, Koules and Barrie along with Brian Lawton made a lot of bad decisions, including Barry Melrose. Is that tanking or just being inept?

I think most of the bad teams I mentioned at best didn't try to improve. At worst, like Toronto and Pittsburgh they actively worked to be terrible.

I understand Viqsi's position. I'm not one to support an active tank job. I also understand without a #1 or #2 overall pick, it gets much harder to obtain a true franchise player. Obviously, they can be obtained via the trade route, but that's usually prohibitively expensive. Absent that very high pick in the right years, it falls to better scouting and development than the bulk of the league. Yzerman did that in Tampa after the base of two superstars was in place. David Poile has done this well in Nashville. As I mentioned, the Bruins are the poster child for this approach. I believe it requires a great front office and a very big scouting and development budget. Are the Blackhawks capable of this? Will Sonny make this commitment?

Taking it close to home, are the Jackets capable of this? Is the FO good enough? Does the budget allow for a superior scouting staff? What about a superior development staff? This takes great leadership, many sound decisions and a real financial commitment.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

Wow- this isn't life and death. I think you are a bit dramatic.

Would I like to get Bedard? Of course. Do I want to actively tank to get him. Not a chance.
I would however like to see the Jackets operation become far more competent than they've shown to date.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Would I like to get Bedard? Of course. Do I want to actively tank to get him. Not a chance.
I would however like to see the Jackets operation become far more competent than they've shown to date.
The organization has never in it's history been half as competent as they are now.

That's not to say the current FO isn't without its own flaws. You don't become one of the longest tenured GMs without being competent and respected around the league.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

It's the frustration that comes from knowing that one does technically have the power to forcibly stop such toxic nonsense but also knows damn well that such a use of said power would be Fundamentally Wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad