GDT: 2022 NHL Draft Rounds 2-7 (CBJ select David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk in R1), 11 AM EST (NHLN, ESPN+)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
2022 Draft Thread - July 7-8 (CBJ to pick 6th (via CHI) and 12th overall)
I can imagine CBJ being very high on Jiricek and Mintyukov. You can think of them both as potential Seth Jones replacements in the sense that they both have the size, mobility, two-way play, aggressiveness and the top pair upside to be put on the ice in any situations and to ease off Werenski's workload on the backend somewhere in the future. I could make a wild prediction that CBJ will pick Jiricek or Mintyukov with the CHI pick, provided Hawks will not win the lottery (I of course can be totally wrong on this but it will be a fun thing to look back on 3 months from now). Still not sure though if I would be comfortable personally with either selection in 4th-8th range.
This was my prediction in early April. I still think they're interested in drafting at least one of Jiricek and Mintyukov with the first round picks, Jiricek with #6 and Mintyukov with #12. Gauthier of course should be another likely target at 6.

One name I haven't seen brought up here yet and who I think CBJ might seriously consider at 12 is Jiri Kulich. My suspicion is that their long-time European scout and fellow Czech Milan Tichy knows the guy well and likes him a lot.

In the 2nd round, my guess is they will draft a big RD, a skilled Russian forward or a big physical forward. Reid Schaefer with the #44 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Later rounds: In rounds 3-5 I'm thinking they'll be looking at a forward or defenseman playing in Finnish or Swedish U20 leagues. Maybe someone from HIFK organisation (C Kaskimaki, RD Salin) since CBJ have a scout working there, iirc. I also think they will take a goalie in the last three rounds. I'll say it's going to be Maxim Mayorov from MHL just because of CBJ connection with the name. From the OHL, they could pick a small, future bottom-6 forward with some scoring talent, such as Zakary Lavoie, Kocha Delic or Liam Arnsby.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Nazar had some off games in my viewings
Are you possibly referring to the U18 tournament with this? I just learned recently that he was playing through an injury while being there, which may actually explain a lot of his inconsistency.

Nazar leaned on Kesler to navigate draft-year adversity - TSN.ca
"Towards the end of the season, I was going through an injury, and I wasn't able to play as well as I probably could've," the U.S. National Team Development Program centre explained.

Issues with both his shoulder and groin hampered Nazar's play at the under-18 world championship in Germany where the United States took home the silver medal.

"I didn't really get to showcase what I could [do]," said Nazar. "I talked to [volunteer assistant coach] Ryan Kesler about it, and he helped a lot with just pushing through the adversity and being able to play. I just wanted to help the team win and I couldn't miss that for anything. It's something I had to be there to do. There was just no way that was going to stop me."

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
6th - Jiricek, Gauthier, Kasper - Trade
12th - Savoie, Nazar- Trade

Seriously wayyy too volatile this year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
6th overall
Gauthier
Jiricek
Nemec

12th overall
Kasper
Kemell
Mintyukov
Wild card pick Lambert

Reactions: Halberdier

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'll play along

6OA

Jiricek
Gauthier

12 OA
Mintyukov
Nazar
Wildcard : Ostlund

Ever since MM shared that clip awhile ago, all I can see is Artemi Panarin when I see him. His ability to weave in and out of traffic at high speed, his ability to hold onto the puck and keeping his eyes up to see what lanes he is creating and whose sinking back and getting open because of it. And even his shot is pretty damn good for his size.

If he can get strong enough to keep that style of play in the NHL while keeping his agility and speed.... He's gonna be dangerous.

Last edited:

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
Here is my prediction for how it all pans out. This is no reflection on what I think should happen.

1. Montreal takes Wright. Home crowd with first overall pick is a no brainier.
2. New Jersey takes Slafkovsky.
3. Arizona takes Nemec because they want solid d
4. Seattle go for Cooley even though they were expecting to take Gauthier. They can’t turn down such a gift.
5. Philly takes Gauthier after running to the podium.
6. Jarmo will take Kasper in the fear that Jiricek can’t skate well enough.
7. Ottawa takes Jiricek.
8. Detroit adds Kemell
9. Buffalo goes for Lekkerimaki
10. Anaheim likes Mintyukov
11. San Jose sees a bargain In Savoie
12. Jarmos gotta Jarmo - Liam Ohgren

I should add that if this comes to pass and Nazar gets taken at 13, @Viqsi is going to need some quiet time before she posts. 😉

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Here is my prediction for how it all pans out. This is no reflection on what I think should happen.

4. Seattle go for Cooley even though they were expecting to take Gauthier. They can’t turn down such a gift.
7. Ottawa takes Jiricek.
8. Detroit adds Kemell

I should add that if this comes to pass and Nazar gets taken at 13, @Viqsi is going to need some quiet time before she posts. 😉

Agree with this -- I'm REALLY starting to think Kasper is Jarmo's guy if Gauthier is off the board and obviously the other 4 don't slide.

For 12 I'd hope we'd trade down or trade it outright if that is the scenario. My dream pick is Savoie if still there at 12 (I'd also be perfectly happy with him at 6).

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
My prediction is that no matter who looks like the obvious pick when the CBJ are on the clock, "Jarmo is going to Jarmo" and fool us all.

(sorry I posted this and then saw Lazy Circuits post just above me).

pled

Sep 7, 2009
6th
any of the top5/Gauthier
12th
Mateychuk/Kasper/Savoie
Ill be there, hope it's not too boring

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ7

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
My Ideal Scenario - Nemec or Jiricek at 6 and a forward at 12.

Plan B - Gauthier at 6 and one of the second tier of D's at 12.

If we don't get a defenseman out of the first two picks, I'll be disappointed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

7. Ottawa takes Jiricek.
8. Detroit adds Kemell

Posts may happen without regard to any such need.
chainsaw.gif

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This could be (emphasis on *could*) one of the most interesting drafts in recent memory, given the lack of consensus due to a variety of factors. I know there is some consistency among published scouting and media reports as to who’s in certain tiers, but even that breaks down after about 5-6 guys. Trading down and hoping to get your guy might be a precarious notion.

I say this because Jarmo will probably go by his board, which appears off-board to what we’ve all seen, and people are gonna be all like he coulda got that guy at whatever if he’s have just traded down with whoever as if 1) that’s just an easy thing to accomplish and 2) we all know that Jarmo’s pick wasn’t gonna go ahead of wherever the trade-down ended up.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

What stuck out to me from this:

* Very unlikely to move both #6 and #12, but willing to move either one

* Sounded like they have 4 or 5 guys they like whom could be there at 6, and if they're all gone they'll be far more likely to trade #6

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Wondering if this is too crazy or not. Maybe there is a road map to Cooley without trading up but I highly doubt it. I previously thought MTL going with Slafkovsky would be bad for us but maybe it would blow things up so much we could benefit.

MTL - Slafkovsky
NJD - Nemec
ARI - Gauthier
SEA - Wright
PHI - Jiricek
CBJ - Cooley
OTT - Kemell
DET - Kasper
BUF - Nazar
ANA - Lekkerimaki
SJS - Savoie
CBJ - Mintyukov

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I woke up this morning and have this feeling we are trading up with NJ or AZ to take Cooley. Like Jarmo wants a center and thinks Philly is taking Gauthier.

Reactions: EspenK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad