GDT: 2022 NHL Draft Rounds 2-7 (CBJ select David Jiricek and Denton Mateychuk in R1), 11 AM EST (NHLN, ESPN+)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
here is the burning question for me. Does @majormajor like our draft more than Carolina's this year? "laugh:

I do, no more envy.

But it is funny to me how Carolina keeps drafting guys that I have much higher. And they have a certain type, they like to take advantage of other club's biases. I had mocked them taking Trikozov, Lucius, and Grudinin multiple times because they're classic Carolina type picks.

Reactions: Hello Johnny

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I like that all the CBJ took several guys who bring something special to the table. It speaks well of their confidence in their core group of prospects, that they're willing to swing for the fences.

Possibly none of these young men will pan out. But if one of two realize their potential they could be amazin'.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Question is why don‘t you trade up and get Beck - when clearly he is worlds better than his Teammate Luca (who most likely wont play center). I am just upset just sitting there if they wanted a center - when we have players we can trade for picks . My frustration lies with not acting - I understand more than most about building from prospects and not chasing FA‘s. Just not going after a few guys who clearly have value.

I was hoping we would move up to the top of the 2nd round to get Beck but obviously that wasn't possible, since Montreal wanted him at #33. For all we know Jarmo had a deal in place to move up 9 spots to get Beck or Firkus and then both were gone before pick #35 came around.

Reactions: Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe the plan is to trade for bad contracts and pick up more picks? What if the goal is to ice the worst possible team and stockpile enough picks to draft a rebuild in 1-2 years?
Then they're voluntarily going the Edmonton/Buffalo route and we can confidently assume they'll be a place where talent and potential goes to die for the next decade. And given what they pulled to get those Cups, it couldn't happen to a better franchise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Extracted profiles from all our drafted guys from the EP Draft Guide and the Black Book and attached 'em.

Note #1: If you're familiar with the Black Book, you know that it doesn't have nice page breaks between player profiles, and this extraction process was whole pages at a time, so this is going to look a little disjointed. If you're not familiar with the Black Book... well, that also applies.

Note #2: Sergei Ivanov was not profiled by either draft guide.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 2022EliteProspectsDraftGuide-CBJ.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 2022NHLBlackBook-CBJ.pdf
    208 KB · Views: 20

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Interesting that Mateychuk lines up on the right at even strength.
Only two of MJ's regular top-6 defensemen were right-handed last year which forced one lefty to move to the right side. Coaches in MJ probably thought Mateychuk has the most versatile toolset of all D, so I don't think that's even been a tough decision. Haven't looked it up but I'm pretty sure he played on the left at last year's U18s.

Given the depth at LD position in our system, it's good to have a LHD who can play on either side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad