GDT: 2022 NHL Draft, Rd 1 Thursday 7/7 ESPN 4:00pm, Rds 2-7 Friday 7/8 NHL Network 8am

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Did you actually read what I said? “It was obviously going to happen and glad it was someone big but I don’t expect more than a Sawchenko level dude from him at absolute max and expect more of a Robinson.”

Again, no one has come back with anything but an appeal to authority.
Hey now! Mine was an appeal to the randomness of life!

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I understand so many people don’t watch prospects. I get it. I’m not saying I’m right at all either. I’m saying I have watched prospects, I am sharing my opinion on the picks and all it is is “you’re wrong because a team drafted them.” Again not saying I’m right at all and I’m probably wrong but if you want people to share their opinion on prospects, maybe don’t write them off immediately when they aren’t positive about something?

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Eli Barnett-- Love this pick! The Nostradamus in me feels like a veteran Eli Barnett will raise the Stanley Cup for San Jose in 2040!

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I understand so many people don’t watch prospects. I get it. I’m not saying I’m right at all either. I’m saying I have watched prospects, I am sharing my opinion on the picks and all it is is “you’re wrong because a team drafted them.” Again not saying I’m right at all and I’m probably wrong but if you want people to share their opinion on prospects, maybe don’t write them off immediately when they aren’t positive about something?
In the written medium tone is never easy to discern.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

If you think you are "probably wrong" then don't say stuff like "These guys don’t have translatable skills and likely won’t be in the NHL outside of Havelid." Nobody knows how any of these guys will turn out, even Slafkovsky.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Complains about people using appeal to authority arguments.

constantly refers back to a lazy "everyone wants me to be positive" strawman.

Fantastic.

I'm done dealing with this. The aggressive, angry histrionics and unwillingness to have a real debate beyond "this is terrible and I hate it and everything is unequivocally awful" has put me the closest to considering quitting the site that I've ever been.

I've been though more than 15 drafts on this site and even though frustration and confusion over the Sharks' 1st is an annual tradition, the crushing level of twitter-style strident hot takes is unbearable. There's no conversation here, just screaming across the divide.

It's unbearable.

If anyone wonders why I didn't do anything more detailed or interesting for this draft, this is why. Because nobody wants to talk about the draft, just shout about it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Fantastic.

I'm done dealing with this. The aggressive, angry histrionics and unwillingness to have a real debate beyond "this is terrible and I hate it and everything is unequivocally awful" has put me the closest to considering quitting the site that I've ever been.

I've been though more than 15 drafts on this site and even though frustration and confusion over the Sharks' 1st is an annual tradition, the crushing level of twitter-style strident hot takes is unbearable. There's no conversation here, just screaming across the divide.

It's unbearable.

If anyone wonders why I didn't do anything more detailed or interesting for this draft, this is why. Because nobody wants to talk about the draft, just shout about it.
Ha funny coming from a mod. Try to share an opinion and because it’s not the common opinion it’s written off immediately. That’s cute. Never change HF.

Try to talk about no one wants to talk and then complains that no one talks.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Fantastic.

It's unbearable.

I understand your reticence. I apologize because this should be fun and informative. I truly look forward to your posts on our draft picks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
7th rounder traded for a 7th rounder next year. Don't know why you make this deal but then eventually keep a later pick. lol Draft day is always so weird.

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I understand the frustration for right now, Sharks are not a playoff team and this is the time of the year that we try to find young difference makers. There is a lot of frustration if they don't at least try to draft guys that are projected to give us a bigger chance by the odds. Draft is never guaranteed, but at least I as a fan would appreciate taking a player that's shown more right now. That's just my opinion, but also that's why I am a fan not a scout. Hopefully these picks pan out. Peace

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Fantastic.

I'm done dealing with this. and unwillingness to have a real debate beyond "this is terrible and I hate it and everything is unequivocally awful" has put me the closest to considering quitting the site that I've ever been.

It's unbearable.

Seems you ought to be used to it by now then
I'm sure you've also noticed that the
The aggressive, angry histrionics Dies down once the frustration of wears off/ plays off.

There's an extra layer to the type of fan one finds on most ports message boards

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Fantastic.

It's unbearable.

Sorry if I have contributed to it, I think a lot of general feelings about the current state of the sharks have bubbled into draft discussions which really should be more fun even if we dont like the picks the sharks make.

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
Maybe we need a Casual Watchparty thread and a Critical X's and O's thread where those of that persuasion can debate all the picks.

Teknicus

Jun 22, 2012

Fantastic.

It's unbearable.

Draft day on HFBoards Sharks is like my families Thanksgiving.

It starts with excitement and good intentions and ends up with the turkey on fire and the cops called over domestic disturbances.

After it's all said and done we'll do the same next year, but only because it's tradition.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Fantastic.

It's unbearable.

I honestly don't think there's been "screaming across the divide". That's what happened when the Sharks were reverse-swept, during the absolute spirals in 2020 and 2022, etc. It seems like most of the discussion on the draft has been civil and in good faith.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hold on a second here, you're misrepresenting and oversimplifying what he's saying.
I understand what he’s saying but he’s also using my post of me trying to have a conversation about it and then instantly getting written off because I disagree with the Sharks picks. If I was sitting here saying eff this team, the sharks are stupid, Grier out, stupid, dumb, whatever, that’s one thing. I have said my opinion, said why I hold that opinion, and have said I might be wrong. Yet it’s “screaming into the divide” because I’m still waiting for someone to give me another reason why I’m wrong other than “well the Sharks took him.” I used the goalie comment as an example of where my thinking is flawed just like everyone else. I’d LOVE to have a conversation about why Bystedt is the next Norris or why Lund has top line potential but no one is having that conversation.

I’m a Sharks fan so obviously I’d love to be positive. I just can’t with who the Sharks took and what I’ve seen from them.

My first posts might have been a bit far because obviously I’m upset. This team had the ability to really add for the future. They have some guys with star potential in Eklund, Bordeleau, Gushchin. They had the ability to really add to that future and solidify it ESPECIALLY after that trade down. They added guys who I don’t see as being much. I apologize if it was a bit far. I just genuinely don’t understand why I am “screaming across the void.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad