GDT: 2022 NHL Draft, Rd 1 Thursday 7/7 ESPN 4:00pm, Rds 2-7 Friday 7/8 NHL Network 8am

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Of course, time can change that feeling. Yes, perhaps the hockey-world consensus is indeed wrong and Bysetdt, Lund, and Havelid as a group will prove to be more valuable than having one of Geekie, Mateychuk, Nazar, etc. But for today, the Sharks unwillingness to communicate a rational vision of how they intend to revamp a roster that is clearly not threatening contention for the foreseeable future; their seeming lack of urgency to turn over the front-office, hiring their new GM a mere two days before the draft; it all feels like a veneer of competency has worn away and what's revealed is not pretty.
The hockey-world consensus just agreed that Bystedt was worth the 27th overall, etc. Don't let twitter and a couple of articles be the "hockey-world consensus"

My feeling is that, of the 25ish years of following the Sharks, this moment now, after the last season and this draft, is the lowest esteem I've ever had for the organization.
Fair enough, though with the Grier hiring it can't be the lowest.

All that said, perhaps this is the bottom; this is the point we look back on 3,4,5 seasons from now and say "that was when all the shit from the downslide piled up, and after that was the beginning of the ascent". I like the Grier hiring. I remain confident that Junior has a solid approach to scouting and drafting, and I'm encouraged to hear words being said about a commitment and investment in the development infrastructure of the org.
If you were confident in DW Jr before this draft, you should continue to be confident in him. Have faith in the process.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
... instead of simply taking the BPA at that position, and saying "okay maybe it's a middle 6er with top 6 upside, but we got the highest quality piece we could", to that parlay it into the 27th, 34th, and 45th picks, and then proceed to go off-the board with some of those picks... it's simply not a satisfying experience in any way for this Sharks fan. What, as a Sharks fan, am I supposed to look at from the last two days that's going to re-assure me the team is headed in the right direction and that brighter days lay ahead?...

Of course, time can change that feeling. Yes, perhaps the hockey-world consensus is indeed wrong and Bysetdt, Lund, and Havelid as a group will prove to be more valuable than having one of Geekie, Mateychuk, Nazar, etc. ...
I'm in the same boat as you regarding knowing anything about any of these 17-18yr olds which is the same as 3 days ago so why be upset that we got 3 unknowns over 1 unknown. Take the upside of what each player could be and hang on to that is my take away.

Playing what could have been before anything has been determined is nothing but disappointment inducing.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Yes, I assure you it can. I don't think you get to decide for me when my esteem rises or falls.

The hockey-world consensus just agreed that Bystedt was worth the 27th overall, etc. Don't let twitter and a couple of articles be the "hockey-world consensus"

If you were confident in DW Jr before this draft, you should continue to be confident in him. Have faith in the process.

I'm pretty sure the hockey-world consensus is that Bystedt would have been very available at 34. Regardless, taken in isolation the Bystedt pick isn't something that would overly concern me. It's more that top of the draft is a consequence of the last few years of the Sharks not having a clear direction or being able to actually face where they actually are as an organization. That it took the org going through a meandering process of interviewing several dozen GM candidates before they are even willing to give a vague nod to "we may take a few steps back to move forward" when it's been clear for a while this team is not on a trajectory to contend as currently constructed.

Additionally, I don't have faith in anything. When the Sharks show evidence there is a vision and a plan towards building a contender I'll feel more positive towards the organization and their process. Even better would be if they just were up front and shared at least the broad strokes with fans; it's not like "We're gonna move some of our vets to teams where they will have better shots at playoff success, while we take a step back to transition to the next era of Sharks contention by focusing on developing young players, reducing cap obligations, and position ourselves to collect high-end young talent" is gonna put the org at some competitive disadvantage to other organizations. The showed vision and courage and were up front with their fans. They rebuilt and are on a much better trajectory.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding knowing anything about any of these 17-18yr olds which is the same as 3 days ago so why be upset that we got 3 unknowns over 1 unknown. Take the upside of what each player could be and hang on to that is my take away.

Playing what could have been before anything has been determined is nothing but disappointment inducing.

I'm not upset. Recognizing that the Sharks have been overall rudderless through this whole season, and have missed opportunities to start the process of revamping the team with higher-end younger talent doesn't mean I'm upset. It means I've been paying attention.

---

I'd not consider myself a doomsayer. I generally try keep an even keel about the organization (generally... I do have my moments of frustration too.) and give the benefit of the doubt most of the time. But I'm not gonna just blindly put a positive spin on everything that happens. I'm pleased that there are some interesting prospects landing on the Baraccuda next season. I'm ready to be pleased about the Grier hiring. I'm interested and ready to be excited about his coaching hires. I'm open to, and hopeful, that the players just drafted will be quality NHL contributors that make this last season seem worth it. However none of those things change the fact that this season, capped off by this draft, has been far from inspiring and reflected considerably poorly on the leadership of the organization.

Last edited:

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
A few hours removed and looking at what we ended up with, I am okay with the Sharks draft.
It's middle of the pack and lacks the stamp of GMMG Grierzy but he will need some time to inject some of his own personell in all areas - including Scouting.

Still, as someone that values analytics, I am little jealous of the teams that that did seem to get a lot of value from their picks. In particular:
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets (Dream draft for those that value production)
  2. Seattle Kraken (Shane Wright at #4, and great picks if you value production)
  3. Carolina Hurricanes (Betting on Russians)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
A few hours removed and looking at what we ended up with, I am okay with the Sharks draft.
It's middle of the pack and lacks the stamp of GMMG Grierzy but he will need some time to inject some of his own personell in all areas - including Scouting.

Still, as someone that values analytics, I am little jealous of the teams that that did seem to get a lot of value from their picks. In particular:
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets (Dream draft for those that value production)
  2. Seattle Kraken (Shane Wright at #4, and great picks if you value production)
  3. Carolina Hurricanes (Betting on Russians)
Agreed. I have been able to make more peace with the picks since some research, but its going to take some serious jumps in production for the guys we have to get on pace to beat the guys we didnt.

Its always possible - just look at Gannon Laroque, but its equally likely it doesnt happen - like Dillon Hamliuk or Yegor Spiridonov

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How dare you assert that these kids will determine their own respective futures! Those have been laid out by members of this community long before they were even Sharks prospects.

Legend has it that there's a cavern under SAP center in which archeologists found a stone tablet that dates back at least 3,000 years. Written on it in cuneiform are 3 simple words.

Bystadt
will
fail

There's also what appears to be a primitive schematic for some kind of solar-and-wind-powered tanning bed.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
A few observations:

1. As some others have noted, it is striking how the players they picked will need development before we know what the Sharks have. The three high school guys will probably need at least three years in college just to have experience against a higher level of competition. The high picks all sound like guys who have some nice attributes that have not gelled into a consistent profile of how they play. Development should help them figure out what their game is.

2. From the article at The Athletic, the Sharks had a list of who they would take at #11 (Savoie? Kasper? Korchinski?) because they might be there. They traded down because all those guys were taken. Grier got a great return from the trade. Still, it is frustrating because the team needs top six forwards, and there were prospects available at #11 who the consensus thought were likely to become top six forwards.

3. Sometimes the best moves a team makes at the draft is NOT taking the "obvious pick." Was Edmonton smart to take Yakupov who was the consensus #1 in 2012? I assume every team has highly rated players they just do not like for whatever reason (or more accurately ranked much lower than others meaning they almost certainly will not draft that player).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In a weird way, I feel like if we took Havelid at 27 and Bystedt at 45, people wouldn’t be as frustrated. #DraftOptics.
It seems like Havelid would have been "a reach" at 27, so I'm sure fans would have blown a gasket regardless.

It's all about beating those published lists. Gosh, I remember when fans were exuberant when the Sharks snagged the highly-ranked Adam Colgiacomo in the 4th round (today's 3rd round, I believe).

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
It seems like Havelid would have been "a reach" at 27, so I'm sure fans would have blown a gasket regardless.

It's all about beating those published lists. Gosh, I remember when fans were exuberant when the Sharks snagged the highly-ranked Adam Colgiacomo in the 4th round (today's 3rd round, I believe).
I’m not sure which ranking service it was, maybe eliteprospects, but they had Havelid as high as 26. Another rankings, or maybe it was a scout, had Bystedt as a late 1st.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I’ve come back off the ledge. I think I overreacted a bit on not getting the guys I want. But I still had the guys they chose ranked on my list near where they were picked. So it’s not bad. I think Furlong, Havelid and Fisher are some good defensive bets. I think the Sharks threw some pure darts at the board, and it’s a little dumb to spend one of them on a no scoring BCHL guy.

Bystedt and Lund may turn out. If they don’t the Sharks have a lot of exciting forward prospects I’ve already seen. I think if Bystedt was 45 and Havelid was 27 like someone said I wouldn’t be that mad.

27 Bystedt - Ranked 43 on my list
34 Lund - Ranked 103 on my list
45 Havelid - Ranked 35 on my list
76 Fisher - Ranked 73 on my list
108 Beaupit - Didn't rank goalies but I liked him
140 Furlong - Ranked 143 on my list
172 Muldowney - Ranked 249 on my list
195 Barnett - Unranked
217 Laubach - Unranked

Last edited:

hockeyCEO

Nov 26, 2016
Here's an explanation of why Brad Lambert was skipped by so many teams:

Time will tell. Good luck Brad

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I’ve come back off the ledge. I think I overreacted a bit on not getting the guys I want. But I still had the guys they chose ranked on my list near where they were picked. So it’s not bad. I think Furlong, Havelid and Fisher are some good defensive bets. I think the Sharks threw some pure darts at the board, and it’s a little dumb to spend one of them on a no scoring BCHL guy.

Bystedt and Lund may turn out. If they don’t the Sharks have a lot of exciting forward prospects I’ve already seen. I think if Bystedt was 45 and Havelid was 27 like someone said I wouldn’t be that mad.

27 Bystedt - Ranked 43 on my list
34 Lund - Ranked 103 on my list
45 Havelid - Ranked 35 on my list
76 Fisher - Ranked 73 on my list
108 Beaupit - Didn't rank goalies but I liked him
140 Furlong - Ranked 143 on my list
172 Muldowney - Ranked 249 on my list
195 Barnett - Unranked
217 Laubach - Unranked
No reason to come of the ledge. This way this team played this draft is completely anthetical from their stated goals.

If you are trying to get to the playoffs as soon as possible you don't trade down from 11 to get players that have a smaller ceiling and will likely take longer to develop.

If the Sharks were in the WCF/Finals and a weak talent pool then trading down would make sense.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
No reason to come of the ledge. This way this team played this draft is completely anthetical from their stated goals.

If you are trying to get to the playoffs as soon as possible you don't trade down from 11 to get players that have a smaller ceiling and will likely take longer to develop.

If the Sharks were in the WCF/Finals and a weak talent pool then trading down would make sense.
Grier said they may have to take one step back before moving forward, so it’s not exactly against his stated goals.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
My favourite pick this year is Havelid.
Fisher and Furlong look pretty intriguing too.
Bystedt and Lund - let`s see. I was waitng for other guys like Kulich or Chesley, but if our scouts see their talent, I`m okay with it.
I`m not sure about other guys, but ofc will be glad if they will reach NHL.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

That would be true if the Sharks had the 27th pick overall to begin with, but they had the 11th. If the hockey-world consensus agreed that Bystedt was a steal at 27, that's another thing.

Grier has his work cut out for him with the deep hole DW put the team into. Hopefully, he'll learn the ropes of being a GM fast enough.

I never was confident in DWjr as his picks have not be stellar. Best one in my view was Eklund but they've damaged that relationship severely. After Marleau, the Sharks have not done a good enough job developing their first rounds picks.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I'm a big believer that drafting players higher than they were ranked gives a lot of motivation to the guys we drafted. Sharks org seems very 'human first, player second' org in that they personally want prospects to feel welcomed and that way to work their way to play for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00