GDT: 2022 NHL Draft Lottery - Devils win 2nd overall pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I heard a report saying the devils would be open to trading the pick

As a Habs fan, gotta ask, do you think the devils would trade the 2nd overall pick for Anderson, any Habs prospect not named Guhle, the Calgary 2022 first rounder and the Florida 2023 first rounder?
They will consider it if the habs prospect is Cole Caulfield

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

As a Habs fan, gotta ask, do you think the devils would trade the 2nd overall pick for Anderson, any Habs prospect not named Guhle, the Calgary 2022 first rounder and the Florida 2023 first rounder?
That report came out before the Devils won the #2 overall pick. I do not foresee the pick being traded now that the Devils have a choice of filling two huge organizational needs with Slafkovsky or Jiricek/Nemec.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
That report came out before the Devils won the #2 overall pick. I do not foresee the pick being traded now that the Devils have a choice of filling two huge organizational needs with Slafkovsky or Jiricek/Nemec.
Stay away from Slaf. Too big a risk. Any
of the two D are gonna great. Future top pairing maybe no. 1 D. Hamilton is gonna start regressing in his early 40s so might as well start looking for Hughes future partner

You lost me at Anderson
Unfortunately for and maybe fortunate for Habs fans, GMs are dumb enough to make those trades for power forwards who can skate and score. I agree if I was a devils fan, I'd laugh at that. But the question was, do you think the devils org would do it?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
of the two D are gonna great. Future top pairing maybe no. 1 D. Hamilton is gonna start regressing in his early 40s so might as well start looking for Hughes future partner

Unfortunately for and maybe fortunate for Habs fans, GMs are dumb enough to make those trades for power forwards who can skate and score. I agree if I was a devils fan, I'd laugh at that. But the question was, do you think the devils org would do it?

Thankfully I don't think Fitz would make that move either

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The Devils would be foolhardy to take such a deal. They are deeper organizationally at LD than literally any other position. The Devils biggest needs are a top 6 power/skill forward and a 1-RD, and both of those players will be sitting there at #2 overall.

That was a joke. Someone on their board proposed a 2nd an some garbage for Hughes last off-season.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Overpriced winger on the downside of his career, two picks at the bottom of the first round, and a crappy prospect. What is, no.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I kind of make it my business to scout prospects and the draft for the Devils HFBoards, and I cannot say I agree with you on Slafkovsky. Here's my mid-April ranking, with Slafkovsky at #2 (also #3 Jiricek and #4 Nemec).

If you check out this thread, I re-posted my write-ups of all three prospects from the winter:

Now, nobody's perfect, but I'm generally pretty adept at the scouting/projecting game and I don't see Slafkovsky as a major risk. I can't remember the last time I saw a 6'4-220 prospect with elite puck-handling and passing vision. And then when you factor in a high IQ and compete level plus the innate physicality and net-front presence? He's just an extraordinary prospect.

I do agree with you on the sublime upsides of both Jiricek and Nemec.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Well that gives us a decade+.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I kind of make it my business to scout prospects and the draft for the Devils HFBoards, and I cannot say I agree with you on Slafkovsky. Here's my mid-April ranking, with Slafkovsky at #2 (also #3 Jiricek and #4 Nemec).

If you check out this thread, I re-posted my write-ups of all three prospects from the winter:

Now, nobody's perfect, but I'm generally pretty adept at the scouting/projecting game and I don't see Slafkovsky as a major risk. I can't remember the last time I saw a 6'4-220 prospect with elite puck-handling and passing vision. And then when you factor in a high IQ and compete level plus the innate physicality and net-front presence? He's just an extraordinary prospect.

You don't find Slaf's speed concerning? Again, I don't have an eye for it, but I found it somewhat alarming while watching his highlights.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You don't find Slaf's speed concerning? Again, I don't have an eye for it, but I found it somewhat alarming while watching his highlights.
Slafkovsky's skating could best be described as "good, not great". When factoring in his acceleration and ability to cover great ground in limited strides, we'd have to call it "very good for his size". Then, factoring in the strong edges, balance and near-impossibility of knocking him off his skates, I think we say say the skating is an asset, not an impediment.

Is he Jack Hughes or Connor McDavid? No, but he can still move more than well enough to play with and compliment top talent.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Cooley will not be the pick.

"A guy like Slafkovsky" is a tough thing to contextualize. Much less: "those types of players". When was the last 6'4-220 forward who also offered the best combination of elite passing vision and puck-handling in his draft class?

The Devils would be foolhardy to take such a deal. They are deeper organizationally at LD than literally any other position. The Devils biggest needs are a top 6 power/skill forward and a 1-RD, and both of those players will be sitting there at #2 overall.
You're part of management?

If they have Cooley as BPA at 2, they taking him

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I literally just tuned into the draft debate for this year, but I'm thinking the concerns around Slaf's skating or speed or whatever should be couched with "for a top 3 pick".

His skating looks good. As noted by STI it's not Elite. That's fine, it doesn't need to be.

I am a bit concerned by the relatively modest production.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is why we shouldn't have panicked when Philly finished below us. Looks like they got screwed here lol.
It happens like clockwork every f***ing year people here complain about 'meaningless wins', which actually wind up helping our draft position BECAUSE IT'S A LOTTERY, PEOPLE!

Yeah I don't really know who I want yet, but I don't wanna trade this pick.

5th overall? Yes. 2nd overall? No.
Yeah trading the pick's pretty much off the table unless you somehow get multiple young NHL contributors with it.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016

Slaf has the potential to be the best player in this draft. Highest ceiling with Jiricek. But there are some red flags in his overall profile. I'm also not a fan of his production in liiga. Whatever excuse you use, his team is defensive oriented. He didn't get much ice time until the second half. It's still bad production. Someone like Joel armia at the same age in the same league had way better production. Doesn't have to match but I expect more. Then it really became a red flag when Slaf shot up like a bullet right after his Olympics. I get it he went on a streak but it was a small sample and the competition was weak but still it was impressive. I personally have him ranked #5 but like I said his upside is unbelievable

Well that gives us a decade+.
Lol typo

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You're part of management?

If they have Cooley as BPA at 2, they taking him
No, but I listen to management.

Fitzgerald has repeatedly stated a desire to ice a team which plays a heavier and more physical game, and is more difficult to play against. This on a team which is set with an elite 1/2 center duo of Hughes/Hischier which Cooley could not crack into. This is also a team with a need for an interior top 6 skill winger (like Slafkovsky) or a potential 1RD (like Jiricek or Nemec).

So no -- I don't think the Devils use the #2 pick to go against their stated and oft-repeated team needs and use the #2 overall pick to take Cooley to be their #3C or to try to teach Cooley a new position and hope he's just as good there. It seems... highly unlikely, to say the least.

In the thread I opened tonight, I posted detailed write ups of the likely Devils picks of Slafkovsky, Jiricek and Nemec -- and this is why. Though nothing is impossible, I opted not to include remote possibilities like Nazar or Gauthier or Cooley or Miroshnichenko.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It happens like clockwork every f***ing year people here complain about 'meaningless wins', which actually wind up helping our draft position BECAUSE IT'S A LOTTERY, PEOPLE!

Yeah trading the pick's pretty much off the table unless you somehow get multiple young NHL contributors with it.

I would trade it for one player, but I think the list of players is quite short and not anyone another team would part with.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Posting this here as well. Bob Mckenzie’s ranking tend to be the most accurate to how things actually go on draft day.

TSN posted a Bob McKenzie flash top 5 poll earlier today.
They polled 8 NHL team head scouts to come up with a ranking. (Weirdly says there was 9 votes in the article, not sure who the 9th is)

The results:
1. Wright (6 1st votes)
2. Slafkovsky (2 1st votes)
3. Cooley (1 1st vote)
4. Nemec
5. Kemell

Says Jiricek was the closest to challenging Kemell at 5 with 3 votes in the top 5.
Savoie received 2 top 5 votes

We’ll see what his final rankings look like before the draft.

Reactions: HBK27 and nugg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad