2022 NHL Draft — Sharks need to tank Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Paywall. Prongman and "anonymous NHL hockey ops" person alternate picking first two rounds of draft.

ANHO has Sharks taking Geekie at #11.
(Sharks traded 2nd)
No real justification for the pick or passing on Savoie or Nazar. Just “he’s big so teams want him”

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Byron Bader's final ranking was released and has Lekkerimaki at 11. Also note he has Mateychuk at 5, and Korchinski at 6 so he is very high on the defenseman.
Because they are both young in the class and scored well, they both should have a great chance at being a star in the future in his model.

I would be happy with either but I like Mateychuk more

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm honestly not that interested in Lekkerimaki right now. From the stuff I've been seeing, he's primarily a trigger. A great one at this point but I don't think a guy who is primarily an F3 is what we need just yet.

I think we keep looking at F2s like Nazar or Savoie or F1s who have F3 qualities like Gauthier or Ohgren.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Don’t know this guy well, but looks like he’s working on a new model to rank draft players based on a lot of factors. The rankings are pretty interesting

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
Don’t know this guy well, but looks like he’s working on a new model to rank draft players based on a lot of factors. The rankings are pretty interesting
Nemec = Stat Mutant

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reminder of the five criteria Sharks use to evaluate players:
1 - character ("vitally important"),
2 - hockey sense,
3 - love to play the game,
4 - accept responsibility to make the players around you a better team,
5 - perform best when it matters the most.

Now, whether or not that gets changed under the new GM will be seen.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
2 - hockey sense,

And under Wilson Jr, I would say 6 is transition game. All of his picks have been excellent at it

Reactions: LadyStanley

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
2 - hockey sense,

I feel like 3,4,5 are all part of character.

Does that fit as part of hockey sense?
I think it's different. It's more about how they play the game. DW Jr. has been focusing on guys that have a good transition game, high hockey sense, and have good puck pursuit skills.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I feel like 3,4,5 are all part of character.

3 is level of hockey rat-ness.

4/5 relate to integrity, to team mates, "the game", and compete level.

Character IMHO is beyond integrity, looking at how one treats folks, doing what is right.

(The main reason I believe ek9 failed in San Jose was his character. He did not value/respect the organization or team/mates, coaches enough to overcome the off ice issues he went through. Nor ask for help/accountability. )

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Claims the Sharks have a good pool of forward prospects so might bolster the blue line corps with their first round pick.
Poor reasoning as one has to approach each and every draft as it best presents itself. Peters seems to be stuck on Offensive D and it seems "pundits" have them lining up abouts where the Sharks draft. The Sharks need top 6 quality forwards as much if not more

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Poor reasoning as one has to approach each and every draft as it best presents itself. Peters seems to be stuck on Offensive D and it seems "pundits" have them lining up abouts where the Sharks draft. The Sharks need top 6 quality forwards as much if not more
He also is smart in saying the sharks will stick to their board and not worry about need

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad