2022 NHL Draft — Sharks need to tank Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
2022 NHL Mock Draft | 2022 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Repeating a tradition from last year, starting a thread as it’s already clear the team has no chance to win the Cup or even a round in the playoffs. Let’s tank the Wright way, play the youth, develop, and enjoy some lottery luck to bring back a generational talent to the Sharks. With Wright, my username may yet prove prophetic. Other great prospects at the top of the draft too ( see above link). I think we have the right coaching and talent level to be up there vying for Top 5-10 pick again this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solmors

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
2022 NHL Mock Draft | 2022 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

Repeating a tradition from last year, starting a thread as it’s already clear the team has no chance to win the Cup or even a round in the playoffs. Let’s tank the Wright way, play the youth, develop, and enjoy some lottery luck to bring back a generational talent to the Sharks. With Wright, my username may yet prove prophetic. Other great prospects at the top of the draft too ( see above link). I think we have the right coaching and talent level to be up there vying for Top 5-10 pick again this year.

Interesting that the odds favor the Kraken over the Sharks.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The organization seems far more sanguine about the team's chances than this board.

Sometimes they're right (see 2015 off-season until February-ish).

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
There are more teams trying to tank for Wright than there are trying to win a Cup this year.
Yup. And with the Sharks stated goal of making the playoffs they are more likely to not finish bad enough to be in the conversation for the guy. Good news is that this is supposedly an insanely deep draft so they probably get someone good no matter where they finish.

Reactions: DG93

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The organization is in such a pathetic state that even fluking into Shane Wright wouldn't be enough to get us back to Cup contention anytime soon. Gotta start somewhere though I guess.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
You've got the Wright to lose games.

Any game you win can and will decrease your lottery odds.

You have the Wright to trade Hertl. If you cannot a afford to trade Hertl, he'll be leaving as an unrestricted free agent.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
I'd rather win the '23 lottery. For '22, get one of the top two RHD. And then get Bedard in '23. :thumbu:

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
There are more teams trying to tank for Wright than there are trying to win a Cup this year.

And thus more room to sneak into the ploffs and do the ploff thing. 5D checkmate, Wilson.

JadedDeterminedIndianrockpython-size_restricted.gif

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
jokes on you, Sharks will

1. be a bubble team
  2. trade all their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for the next 4 years to go all in with rentals at the TDL with a bunch of those ridiculous "if-this-trade-actually-works-in-my-favor-then-i-will-screw-myself-over-by-giving-you-even-BETTER-draft-picks-to-throw-away-my-hard-earned-negotiated-terms" stipulations
  3. lose in game 7 of the cup finals
  4. re-sign Hertl, Bonino, Cogliano, Barabonov, Gambrell, Gregor, Leonard, Ferraro and Knyzhov to 8-year contract extensions

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I don't know how to feel about the team this year. There's just been so much crap happening outside the locker room with Kane, and last year it just didn't seem like the culture was any good. Not to mention you had the Covid situation and the Sharks having an insanely long trip to start the season. I haven't been up on Sharks news (They don't send out notifications on the app so I just think the team is really tight lipped) but I'm not optimistic coming into this season. I liked the free agent signings and they got rid of Jones and brought back Reimer, but that Power Play was atrocious. That's one of the biggest things to success in this league.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know how to feel about the team this year. There's just been so much crap happening outside the locker room with Kane, and last year it just didn't seem like the culture was any good. Not to mention you had the Covid situation and the Sharks having an insanely long trip to start the season. I haven't been up on Sharks news (They don't send out notifications on the app so I just think the team is really tight lipped) but I'm not optimistic coming into this season. I liked the free agent signings and they got rid of Jones and brought back Reimer, but that Power Play was atrocious. That's one of the biggest things to success in this league.
The architect of that awful PP is gone so hopefully a new system jump start the talent they put out there. I know it's just one moment in time but the PP personnel that orchestrated that come back against Vegas is still here. No reason they shouldn't at least be able to get back to middle of the pack. That and far better goaltending are going to put this team much higher in the standings. Just how high remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: SJSharksfan39

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The architect of that awful PP is gone so hopefully a new system jump start the talent they put out there. I know it's just one moment in time but the PP personnel that orchestrated that come back against Vegas is still here. No reason they should at least be able to get back to middle of the pack. That and far better goaltending are going to put this team much higher in the standings. Just how high remains to be seen.

This is good. I need something to get excited about. They have the talent, they just need to utilize it better. Also, Eric Karlsson needs to prove himself this year. I already think that was a disappointing trade (Hindsight is 20/20) but maybe something of that trade can be salvaged somehow.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
This is good. I need something to get excited about. They have the talent, they just need to utilize it better. Also, Eric Karlsson needs to prove himself this year. I already think that was a disappointing trade (Hindsight is 20/20) but maybe something of that trade can be salvaged somehow.
This season, maybe more than any other I can remember is a complete mystery box. If guys play to their capability they might be pretty good. If last season truly was the new normal for some of the guys who struggled the season could get ugly quick. Health is going to be huge still since the depth is only marginally better than last season. Hertl or Couture going down for any duration and the team is likely doomed.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
No point tanking for a specific player with the current lottery structure. In this draft there's a clear dropoff from 1 to 2, but then 2 through 15 or 20 looks pretty close. 2023 would make more sense to tank, as there are massive consolation prizes to missing Bedard, starting with Michkov, but the top 6 or 7 looks elite. But in this draft I think the best bet is to just load up on picks. You're likely to get a star anywhere in the top 20, and picks 15-20 aren't that far off from picks 2-5.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad